300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Park Rangers?

Question for you Rangers, if any ever visit here; How uptight is the enforcement of the "no firearm" rule by your agency? I know that under HR218 I can carry regardless of STATE laws. That doesn't exempt anyone from federal regulations.

Should I lock my piece in the lock-box under the seat or what? If one travels 600 miles over long weekend and visits a couple of parks or monuments in their home state like I did this weekend, it may become an issue...
    I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Good question. I think this question also closely applies to hospitals and sporting events, anywhere else that has metal detectors at the front door. I tend to remove my weapon and lock it in my vehicle if I know wherever I am going is going to have metal detectors.

I don't think it would be a huge problem after I showed my badge and ID, but I have always done so just to avoid having some security gaurd poop his pants at the first discovery of a gun.
    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

No one is going to know unless you use it. Im sure if you do the circumstances wil be justified.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
        No one is going to know unless you use it.
        Wrong. We all know what to look for that could indicate a weapon. I have enough time working in courts, fairs, public events, etc, there are tell-tale signs that are unavoidable (even for a cop). Ever stand up and your shirt tail catches on the grip? Pant leg not hang naturaly over the ankle holster? Non-verbals like touching to be certain its covered?

One concern is being made by a civilian, and having him get a Ranger who brings in the whole cavalry and it escalates to the point that his discretion is limited.

If a Ranger were to ask if I was armed, I for one, will not lie. Nor will I violate a rule and be made an example of my agency .
        I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Army Corps of Engineer laws prohibit firearms unless in a designated area(hunting area). The exception is any Federal, State, or Municipal police officer. I'm not sure regarding National Parks, but I'd have to imagine there are simliar rules.

I think your best bet Ken, would be to give a ranger station a call, advise them that you're an officer and enjoy visiting their properties and would like to be sure of their rules/regs/laws. I'm sure you'd get the most straight-forward answer, rather than internet rumor or speculation. Good luck, and if you do happen to find out, share with the rest of us.
          Still leading the team in PIMs, the fans are calling me a goon.
          --------------------
          This is Papa Bear. Put out an APB for a male suspect, driving a... car of some sort, heading in the direction of, uh, you know, that place that sells chili. Suspect is hatless. Repeat, hatless.

Comment

Originally posted by KenW.
            Wrong. We all know what to look for that could indicate a weapon. I have enough time working in courts, fairs, public events, etc, there are tell-tale signs that are unavoidable (even for a cop). Ever stand up and your shirt tail catches on the grip? Pant leg not hang naturaly over the ankle holster? Non-verbals like touching to be certain its covered?

One concern is being made by a civilian, and having him get a Ranger who brings in the whole cavalry and it escalates to the point that his discretion is limited.

If a Ranger were to ask if I was armed, I for one, will not lie. Nor will I violate a rule and be made an example of my agency .
            Wrong? I think not. I've carried a gun off duty for 30 years & never been challenged because CCW means CCW. I've carried CCW at work the last 3 years with no incidents while working undercover in other cities. If you are such a zip you cant walk around without your gun hanging out you should not carry.

Comment

Where I work in Northeast Ohio, the NPS and us have joint jurisdiction in most areas. They are nice guys/gals and will assist at the drop of a hat. I have never heard of this issue come up as far as CCW for LEO or anyone else.

I do have a funny story though. This past weekend we assit the NPS when we hear there ..."is a Hummer in the river". We get there, and sure enough there is a full size Humvee in the river and no driver. Ironically, about 15 minutes into the call some guy shows up driving a Honda Insight (hybrid) and stated "that is my Hummer". Apparently his kid (who is DUS) took the Hummer in the middle of the night to go off-roading and got stuck in the river. Upon trying to get himself out using the on board wench, he tore up all kinds of trees and vegetation. he couldn't get out so he just left the vehicle. So what does the dip **** say to the Ranger when she explains that there is some significant damage to the flora/fauna...."oh, there only trees....". Needless to say father and son will be paying a visit to Federal Court in the near future.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6038 users online. 309 members and 5729 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X