Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do new Sgt. get a bad wrap? maybe its you!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do new Sgt. get a bad wrap? maybe its you!

I know I will be blasted for saying this but F### it.

I have seen many times threads about new sergeants not remembering where they came from or forgetting the brotherhood of a squad. Many times new Sgt

Your darn right Tac..

We as road-dogs or pencil pushing defectives have to remember that these "new" Sgts have to not only look out for the squad from the powers-that-be; but they are now back on probation most of the time and have to look out for their best interests also. Nothing personal against my co-workers, but I'll be darn if i'm gonna let something foul up my career. Based on my personal experience, you will normally see the "new" Sgt calm down and get back to a normal life once he/she is off their new probation status and have proved themselves in leadership.

BE SAFE!!!
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

[quote]How do you deal with this? Think about not only policy, but brotherhood, squad moral, your ethical limits, maintaining control, ect

Comment

Suck it up, you're a Sgt now making the bigger bucks. How hard is it to make a lame complaint go away where you're from. Tell the complainant/"victim" that you disaplined the officer and move on. Is there a reason you can't trust the guys you worked with for so many years. You must know them by now.
        "Support Our Troops"

Comment

Originally posted by TheMP5guy
          Suck it up, you're a Sgt now making the bigger bucks. How hard is it to make a lame complaint go away where you're from. Tell the complainant/"victim" that you disaplined the officer and move on. Is there a reason you can't trust the guys you worked with for so many years. You must know them by now.

Personably sucking it up would be no problem! The problem arises when that officer says
          Last edited by sgttac; 07-21-2005, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Congratulations. You are now a Company man when you are more concerned with everything and everybody else than the guys who put their life on the line... and you want to penalize them for POLICY violations.

Why not tell him to be more cautious of his PC in the future and have the heuvos to tell everyone else the matter is over with and he's been counselled. Is your Promotion THAT tenuous? Nothing like Supervisors that make mountains out of mole hills to kill the morale of the most eager and energetic employees.

YOU know the reality of the street. YOU know what you used to do. YOU know that you will have to admit to your former co-worker that YOU formerly made those same errors in judgement. What would YOU want to hear from YOU?

Supervisors who forget who pulled their bacon out of the fire when they start wearing tin on their collars really **** me off with petty $hit.
            Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
            --------------------------------------------------
            Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
            Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Whoa buddy!!! He said he was going to counsel him not open an IA case. I presume that counseling would included some search & seizure training so as not to lose future cases or generate future complaints. I think making sure your people are properly trained is one aspect of looking out for your troops.

Comment

Do you mean that you would insult an experienced road officer by making him go back through a Training Class? How about if the experienced officer were to be reminded to get the proper PC and maybe all of the facts the next time before he improperly searched the vehicle? Case closed unless there is a next time. Next time do the retraining route.

IMHO, there are not very many ways that a vehicle search can be done improperly given the correct and documented PC.

I was once counseled for calling a 18 yo POS punk a "Short, Fat, Kid" within earshot. The reason I was counseled was because the POS, SFK Punk cried to his Daddy about it... literally cried. His daddy went to my Supervisor that night after the SFK, POS Punk got out of lock-up for Disorderly Conduct (he and a 3 other kids interfered with Patrol Duties after continued warnings to desist while pursuing 3 Patrol vehicles on complaints throughout the area, including prowler, Burglary, Domestic and Armed Robbery calls, making sure to illuminate us with their headlights after we arrived on scenes.) My Supervisor told me to apologise to the POS, SFK punk for calling him a SFK. As I apologised, he wiped his eyes and forgot about it. I learned from that, not to call a spade a spade while they can hear you. Thats what my Supervisor told me I should learn.

He could do the same thing and call it done with.
                Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
                Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
                Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Do you mean that you would insult an experienced road officer by making him go back through a Training Class? How about if the experienced officer were to be reminded to get the proper PC and maybe all of the facts the next time before he improperly searched the vehicle? Case closed unless there is a next time. Next time do the retraining route.
                  He probably doesn't know what the "proper PC" is, or he would have either conducted the search, or written the report (or both) properly in the first place. Nothing wrong with training if he doesn't have a good grasp of what probable cause and reasonable suspicion are, and how they apply to the traffic stop. If anything, the experienced road officer is the one who might need the training the most with the constant evolution of case law.

Comment

"Training" doesn't necessarily mean having to attend a formal class. If you take five minutes to go over the relevant statutes and/or policies and run through a scenario to two that is often sufficient. You can do it at roll call or one-on-one with the officer.

For me it would have to be a continuing issue that is not responding to other efforts before I send someone back to the academy to sit in on a formal class.
                    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by Creeker

Supervisors who forget who pulled their bacon out of the fire when they start wearing tin on their collars really **** me off with petty $hit.

Believe me when I tell you, I have not, and will never, forget who is standing next to me when that door is getting kick in!!! This example did happen to me one month after getting promoted.

How I handled it was. I pulled everyone together, outside of an official briefing and talked about how important is to keep one another, including me, from catching a beef. This took about one hour of back and forth discussions. I also told them that when they anticipate a complaint to let me know so I can battle it before it comes in or be prepared for it. I have never sold out an officer. With that being said, if he/she fails to watch out for me or the group then I will come down on his/her ***.

With your aggressive attitude towards stripes it

Comment

[QUOTE]
                        Originally posted by Creeker
                        Aw man, dont be so hard headed. Why wait for a next time? Do the training & there is no next time. You discuss it in your office, look at some case law & discuss a better way to do it if there is one. It's not an *** chewing session. It's 2 adults discussing police work. I'm not going to have one of my officers say he is sorry to some maggot. We are going to discuss how he can make a legal case that flys if he gets the chance in the future.

As was explained, there was a complaint over this so you cant wait till next time. You are conducting retraining in response to that. Retraining is a valid disposition to some complaints. Its not a major deal if handled correctly. As a supervisor, you are exxpected to do these things so there is no "next time."

Comment

I'm about tired of hearing about this stupid crap about segeants not knowing where they came from. Believe me, they know. Probably about a month or two into it they wish they could go back. Being a "road dog" ain't their J-O-B no more. Their job is to see that crap gets done.

Tell you what, if you ever want to feel like you are stuck on a island and surrounded by sharks, be a new sergeant. The brass wants things and has expectations. The guys working for you want things and have expectatons. The other sergeants want things and have expectations.

Decisions, decisions. Who's vacation do I approve? Staffing only lets me have one off. Steve and his brother are going fishing. I talked to Robert the other day. Him and his wife is having problems and they are trying to fix things. Thomas came in and was talking about bringing his kid to see the game that night.

Mrs. Jones is down here bitching about Officer Friendly again. Do I spend an hour listening to her vent and hope she goes away? Do I take her complaint and let IA look into it? What is I let he talk an hour and she still wants to file? I know he is clear, I seen the video tape. Do I councel with him about avoiding the situation, will that **** him off, cut his productivity? She will be right back down here next month.

Everybody wants to go to school, who do I send?

Captain wants us out of our cars and foot patrol this appartment. Dern it is going to be hot and the guys ain't gonna be happy about it. Crap !!!

I think a couple road dogs need to grow up and get some respect. Do what they heck they are told to do and just say thanks sarge.
                          "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

When it comes down to it, you are now in a position that requires that you deal with your former shift partners in a different light. Your shift partners should also realize this required change in you. If they don't respect your job and position change, then I believe they weren't the friends you thought they were.

Comment

I found that most of the "guys" I worked with as a patrol officer had a different attitude when I got promoted. I can't stand being called "Sarge" by fellow officers unless others are around, such as the public.
                              I will not forget about my fellow officers or "where I came from", however now I also have to answer to a Lieutenant who in turn has to answer to a Division Commander.
                              As a Sergeant I found that I was trying very hard to reassure officers that the recommendations I was giving them were for their benefit, such as handling complaints at the road patrol level vs. not resolving the issue and having the complaint go farther than needed. Please don't get me wrong I will never order an officer to apologize to anyone, I will explain that it may be in their best interest to resolve the complaint and let them make their choice.
                              Typically when the officer and complainant speak after the incident, the issue is resolved. Most citizens do not understand that we need to make decisions fast and the decision may not always be the most popular one, however once the situation is calmed and the decision is explained it is rare that the complainant wishes to pursue the complaint further.
                              I always listen to both sides of the complaint, the benefit is given to the officer whenever possible. Sometimes the officer thinks that the complainant should be thrown out of the lobby, sometimes I agree. The fact remains that I have to at least hear the complaint, sometimes the officer is offended by that. It doesn't mean I agree with the complaint, I just have to listen to it.
                              That being said, you have to prove that you are looking out for the best interest of your fellow officers. Don't think that you will get instant respect, you need to earn the respect as a supervisor.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4813 users online. 291 members and 4522 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X