300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol rifle question

I'm looking to see how many agencies have issued rifles to their patrol divisions. I'm not talking about rotating the rifles through several people - I mean handing them a rifle and telling them they are responsible for it just like their sidearm.

In my department (Brookfield, CT) we have issued a Bushmaster .223 rifle to every officer, corporal, and sergeant in the patrol division. I'm curious to see how many other agencies have done the same thing.

Thanks.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

That is actually a great way to do it. Unfortunately, for most agencies it is cost prohibitive.

I prefer the idea of allowing a personally owned, department inspected, and approved weapon. That is how our policy is currently set up. We have less than 100 of our nearly 500 that have taken advantage of it.

The idea of having an officer personally responsibe for the rifle leads to a rifle more ideally set up for the officer. It will also lead to a rifle which is taken much better care of than a rifle which is assigned to a car. Too bad, most admin types won't sacrifice the cash for the combat effectiveness.
    Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

I agree -

Heck, if they own a rifle that is patrol worthy than let them qualify w/ it and use it. Puts more firepower on the road at NO cost to the dept!

I would "personally" trade in that dept. AR for a M1A SOCOM 16 sitting in my safe.
      There is no greater love - than that of a man - that will give his life for another.

If God carried a gun - it would be a 1911

Comment

there is a rather large agency in DFW that issues colt or RRA rifles to each officer. after two years with the department, ownership is transferred to the officer.

Comment

My agency (TN HP) has issued every sworn officer A Bushmaster .223 as well as an offduty weapon in addition to a smoke pole and duty weapon...We are serious about speeders and people double parked down here

Comment

Our department uses Ruger Mini 14's. Each squad car has a Mini 14 and a Remington 12 gauge in it. After each roll call we are issued a "case", which has a digital camera, 8 rounds of buckshot, 6 sock rounds, and 3 loaded cartridges for the Mini 14. We are responsible for the equipment and checking the weapons prior to going 10-41. Unfortunately, there are nights where we have to throw everything in the car and leave without doing any checks. This has seemed to work for us and we have used this system for the last 5 years or so.

Comment

We have a limited number of Colt AR-15's that are issued to specific patrol officers. Officers not assigned rifles may carry a personally-owned, departmentally-approved AR-15.
              John from Maryland

Comment

My depts goes with the personally owned, dept-approved for patrol rifles, with about 60% of officers routinly taking a rifle on the street with them. The dept. does issue ammo, which is nice. I won't even think about grabbing the 12 gauge in the car, I don't know how many times I've found them improperly loaded, one had some rust, not cleaned, etc.

Comment

M-4 Carbine

VSP issues all sworn officers below rank of 1st/sgt an M4 (Colt) carbine. We carry two 20-rd mags of .223 teflon bonded rounds. Very nice weapon. The 870 is also carried in the patrol vehicle.

Comment

Our agency issues one AR15 to each patrol officer. Each also attends a three day patrol rifle operator course.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayhawker
                      Our department uses Ruger Mini 14's. Each squad car has a Mini 14 and a Remington 12 gauge in it. After each roll call we are issued a "case", which has a digital camera, 8 rounds of buckshot, 6 sock rounds, and 3 loaded cartridges for the Mini 14. We are responsible for the equipment and checking the weapons prior to going 10-41. Unfortunately, there are nights where we have to throw everything in the car and leave without doing any checks. This has seemed to work for us and we have used this system for the last 5 years or so.

Three .233 rounds for a Mini-14? What in god's creation are you going to do with 3 rounds? If you have to get the rifle out the situation would probably dictate at least a 20 round mag right?
                      Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
                      I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
                      Originally posted by weinerdog2000
                      as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

We have DPMS ar-15's that we share and rotate throughout the shifts. I would say about half the guys own their own rifle though. Those of us that don't develop favorite ar's, and consistently use and clean them.

Other area agencies have a program where they buy the rifle for you and deduct 20 to 50 dollars per paycheck, until the rifle is paid off. There is no interest on that. That would seem like a good idea, it's not like the officers aren't going to pay the agency back.

Comment

Originally posted by Redders4786
                          Three .233 rounds for a Mini-14? What in god's creation are you going to do with 3 rounds? If you have to get the rifle out the situation would probably dictate at least a 20 round mag right?
                          I would assume that he meant 3 mags.
                          "You didn't think we give pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't."

Comment

Only are SWAT guys carry a rifle. We have at least one SWAT guy on every Squad so there is at least one rifle per squad. The rest of the cars have an 870 in the trunk. ON SWAT we have a choice to cary our M16 or M14 with us on patrol.
                            Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
                            Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

No, he meant three rounds. Two for the bad guy, and one for the bad guys lawyer.

DeltaCop
                              "For those who fight for it, Life has a meaning that the sheltered will never know"

Unknown Marine
                              Khe Sanh

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6303 users online. 381 members and 5922 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X