300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Beach California PD

I just got back from my military drill weekend in San Pedro CA, was talking to an Long Beach copper and he said the City was broke and officers were leaving left and right..I remember about two years ago I thought about lateraling there from AZ,,,Thank God...Does anyone know whats going on with the city,,I was just curious...They seemed like a real squared away agency,,I am glad I stayed in AZ though...

They just got approved for a 21% raise which they have needed for some time now.

If your thinking of CA LE then join my web group with all my study guides on it.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

No thanks brother,,I am fine right here in AZ..plus in ten years this place will be just like CA..Hope we are getting paid as good as them though...That pension would be great too...But I am content right now...If you could find me a house for 250000 on the beach though..I might think about it..

Comment

Originally posted by AzInv
        I just got back from my military drill weekend in San Pedro CA, was talking to an Long Beach copper and he said the City was broke and officers were leaving left and right..I remember about two years ago I thought about lateraling there from AZ,,,Thank God...Does anyone know whats going on with the city,,I was just curious...They seemed like a real squared away agency,,I am glad I stayed in AZ though...
        Found this on the internet.

Long Beach Police may get first raise in over 4 years

Officers get 21% raise; talks with fire, nonsafety unions still ongoing.

By Jason Gewirtz
        Staff writer

LONG BEACH

Comment

250K, LOL, my realtor just helped a buddy flip a fixer upper house in Compton for 350K. For 250K you can buy a parking spot for you VW Bus on the beach.

No thanks brother,,I am fine right here in AZ..plus in ten years this place will be just like CA..Hope we are getting paid as good as them though...That pension would be great too...But I am content right now...If you could find me a house for 250000 on the beach though..I might think about it..
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Hey AzInv.

If you were going to do a lateral to Cali from AZ, who do you work for? I know alot of cops are doing laterals from Cali to AZ.

Comment

Mgrif, that is when I first moved here from Back East and fell in love with the beach and scenery during one of my drill weekends. Then I met Cali cops who are in my reserve unit, who live from paycheck to paycheck and checked out the real estate prices..It was only a dream, plus I get to there every month...PM me for more details.

Comment

The major problem with Ca is housing costs. Go to a website like www.realtor.com & look. I dont know who anyone could afford to buy a a home on Orange County right now. The average cost is $607,000. 7 years ago, I sold my previous home in costal OC 3/10 a mile form the ocean for $350,000. It was a very nice 2000 sq ft home. Today the same home sells for around $900,000. No one can afford that on a cops pay unless you wife is making $200k a year.

The parts of LA County you can afford, you dont want to live in due to crime issues. So what I see of guys working in LA & Orange Counties are guys buying out in Riverside County & driving well over an hour in brutal traffic to work. Then we expect them to work 10-12 hours. They are worn out before they even get to work. If people are leaving there I suspect it is due to many of the above factors, not just pay.

Comment

If I was in California already I dont think I would leave ..that 3% @ 50 is the best pension system in the country...You are sitting on a gold mine, when you retire...I know a retired LA fireman who lives near me who is bringing home 72,000 a year in pension I sure hope AZ could get something that sweet inthe future..I wont hold my breath though....But I have seen alot of newspaper articles and reports on Gov Arnold trying to do away with it..or certain cities I guess like Long Beach PD for example trying to make employees pay more..I forget what city it was in Cali,,,the cop said he paid nearly over a grand a month for his pension....that nearly blew me away...

Comment

I think Anaheim cops contribute about 9% of their monthly salary to their pension which puts them among the highest if my info is correct. http://www.policepay.net/anaheim/contract.pdf

It is true with CA housing costs you can sell & buy nicely out of state. The Gov did briefly consider messing with pensions then backed off. By the very nature of the job, if you spend a large majority of your career in the field, by retirement there is a good chance that you will be disabled to the extent you may not be able to work & have to depend 100% on that retirement.
                    Last edited by Stan Switek; 07-21-2005, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Wow, Stan that is alot of money,,I think that is nearly a quarter of your monthly salary..The pension is great, but it sounds like you go broke contributing to it..Wow CA cops cant win....The overtime in Anaheim must be nice...Ball games. Disneyland..So I guess there is something to offset it a little.

Comment

Wow, Stan that is alot of money,,I think that is nearly a quarter of your monthly salary..The pension is great, but it sounds like you go broke contributing to it..Wow CA cops cant win....The overtime in Anaheim must be nice...Ball games. Disneyland..So I guess there is something to offset it a little.
                        Yes, APD gets a ton of OT. They pay 9% of their retirement which is about $235 every 2 weeks for a top step PO. Not a huge amount but that is above average for the area.

Comment

I am retired from LA County Sheriff's Dept. which has one of the best retirement systems in the country. The 3% at 50 is turning into a financial nightmare for many of the California counties. The counties lost so much money due to investments and the dismal stock market the past 5 years that in years to come the retiirement systems could damn near go broke. In many cases the employee has seen huge increases in their contribution to their repective retirement system. On a side note to give you a idea of the real estate prices, I bought my home in 1976, 2450 sq. ft. 10,000 sq. ft. lot for 46,000, I sold the home in 2 weeks for 880,000.
                          Retired LASD

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96
                            I bought my home in 1976, 2450 sq. ft. 10,000 sq. ft. lot for 46,000, I sold the home in 2 weeks for 880,000.
                            And you still live in Upland after getting all that money?
                            Retired

Comment

Shortly will be living in the Eastern Sierras, the house is in escrow. What class were you in Retired? I was in 145. worked San Dimas and Walnut for 15 years, Forgery/Fraud, and retired from IRC as a Sgt.
                              Retired LASD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6530 users online. 351 members and 6179 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X