300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crooked Superior Officer

Hey guys I wanted some advice on what you might do if you were in the same position i'am in.I have a superior that has threaten to black mail me if i made a grievance against him.This along with him telling me that he takes presedence over 911 calls has forced me to put a notice in the dept.One month ago we lost a good officer because of the same issue and today this superior officer is trying to dimiss another officer for some stupid unfounded things he has put a notice of dismissal against this officer.This superior officer has alot of people in his back pocket and tells them why the dept. has a 3 month turn over rate is because officers move onto higher paying depts.Which is crap we all leave because of him.He has been with the dept. 29 years and nobody will kick him out.I'am so tempted to file a grievance against him but dont want that to affect my future employment.So I dont know what to do any advice would help?

You should never burn your bridges, you may never know when you need to cross over them again, however, what you need is documented proof. Other wise it is an officer's word against his and sounds like he has a little more seniority. If everyone in the department files a grievance than someone higher would have to listen. Tapes work real well when behind closed doors. Catch him on tape telling you some illegal act and that is the end of the story. You must out fox the fox...
    Arguing with a Cop is like mud wrestling with a pig. Eventually you will realize that the Pig likes it.

My Chief

Comment

I would strongly suggest that you play his game for a little while, then move on to another department. That is of course, if you do not want to get into one hell of a battle with him.

If you have no problem with making some waves, then go out a buy your self a pocket digital recorder and record all contacts with him. Sooner or later you will have the damning evidence on tape.

Comment

Quite often, if you are careful and smart about how you go about it, you can win the battle.

More often than not you will not win the war.

I suggest a change of scenery.

Good luck.
        Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

I agree, I wouldn't stick around long. I don't kow about your dept., but mine specifically has a policy against recording any other Officer or city official unless the recording is for an investigation. I would guess that if you had a similar policy, even if you were able to get good evidence against this guy you would be in hot water too.

Good luck and be careful.
          "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Originally posted by haus409
            . I don't kow about your dept., but mine specifically has a policy against recording any other Officer or city official unless the recording is for an investigation.

I am amazed that you have that policy. Most policies are put in place because somebody did something they should not have done. I have never heard of this policy. (kinda of like warning labels on coffee saying HOT) When talking to someone I am not sure about on a subject that I am not sure about I always act like I am being recorded. Never know who is listening. It is also not so easy to just go find a change of scenery. There are 50 people trying out for one position in most of the agencies around here.
            Arguing with a Cop is like mud wrestling with a pig. Eventually you will realize that the Pig likes it.

My Chief

Comment

We just got this policy when we received our video cameras about two years ago. I have nothing to base this on, but I would guess that the city council had a part in the policy, and the policy was mainly to protect themselves.
              "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Aaahhhhh, the all mighty City Counsil. May God bless all of them...

My Chief

Comment

Just curious, what do you plan on grieving?

Comment

If you want some good advice, you're going to have to be more specific. What is the grievance? Explain the blackmail thing.
                    Ask the offending supervisor for clarification, so all ambiguity is removed. Then confirm. "Are you saying that my concern or complaint is not a valid issue? Are you saying that if I grieve it, this will happen to me? Do you really think this is right/ethical?"
                    Make sure you have another supervisor in the room.
                    Another option is to out the situation at roll call.
                    I don't know the details, so I don't know how valid the scenarios are.

Comment

Why not contact the officers that have left your department because of this supervisor and have them file a joint grievance. That would save you from having to put yourself on the chopping block and give more validity to the complaint as it will have been filed by multiple sources.
                      No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

basically he has told me that if i make waves he'll make sure to give me a bad ref. internally because we work for the department of public safety for the state.So that means i wouldnt be able to transfer into another dept. within the state such as state police or game warden etc...He has also told me that he takes prescedence over 911 calls.He told me if he says to return to the station and talk to him then I better do that instead of taking a 911 call which happend.Bassically I am at the point where its his word against mine and I have a few previous officers willing to write out a statement about him harrasing them and lying about situations.So any ways I gave a 1 week notice to stay in good standing with the state thats all they require and I am done.I have a reserve position next to the town I live in so I will do that for now and do transport for the local jail until I get another full time position elsewhere.Its just to bad they told me in the interview it was a really great place to work but they lied and they didnt mention to me the turnover rate was 3 to 6 months and I found out why the hard way.

Comment

Make waves about? What kind of 911 calls are we talking about here? Most 911 calls are not of an emergency nature. What is he calling you in to discuss? Has he ever orderd you not to go to a life threatening emergency?

Comment

Most agencies conduct an exit interview to determine why someone who has resigned, is leaving. Tell them why you are leaving, that your resignation is not voluntary but is because of how you have been treated and provide them with the names of other former employees who have left for the same reasons. If your case has merit and the agency has otherwise good management, things will probably get fixed and you might even be invited to withdraw your resignation and come back to work.

However, a word of caution here. You have made some very serious allegations about this individual, using terms like "crooked" and "blackmail" but you have also been vague as to the details. When asked by other members of this forum for specifics, you continued to dance around the issue and just gave another vague response. To experienced cops and experienced administrators this is a big red flag. Unless you can be carefully articulate what this person has done wrong then you are probably going to be written off by your agency as nothing more than a whining malcontent. I'm not saying this to put you down. I'm just trying to point out that as a trained experienced cop you are going to need to get your act together a whole lot better if you want anyone to take you seriously in this matter. Before you say anything more to your agency's management, sit down and start making notes as to what this person has done. With respect to each incident, be sure to include the date, time, location, what he did, what law, policy or rule he violated, what damage resulted, who witnessed the matter, what other evidence is available, who the victim was, and most important of all - how you know all this to be true. If you are not prepard with this kind of information when you meet with them, your agency will just write you off as another loud mouth malcontent they are better off without.
                            Last edited by L-1; 07-20-2005, 01:03 PM.
                            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4111 users online. 251 members and 3860 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X