Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad reputations for State Police/Highway Patrol?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bad reputations for State Police/Highway Patrol?

    I have noticed a few threads in which the State Police or State Highway Patrol are branded as not giving professional courtesy, most notibly CHP and FHP. I have been stopped by the Ohio Highway Patrol, Maryland State Police, and Virginia State Police and I was merely told to have a nice day and drive safely. I think these cases involving CHP and FHP are just overzealous individuals and do not represent the views of the majority of officers in those departments.

    Sorry for starting a new thread, but I wanted to get away from the ones targeting one specific organization.
    No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

  • #2
    Originally posted by mosetti
    I have noticed a few threads in which the State Police or State Highway Patrol are branded as not giving professional courtesy, most notibly CHP and FHP. I have been stopped by the Ohio Highway Patrol, Maryland State Police, and Virginia State Police and I was merely told to have a nice day and drive safely. I think these cases involving CHP and FHP are just overzealous individuals and do not represent the views of the majority of officers in those departments.

    Sorry for starting a new thread, but I wanted to get away from the ones targeting one specific organization.

    As I said in my thread about FHP, I totally agree. I think it is the mentality of the individual, not the department. With that being said though, a few individuals is all it takes to start problems with inter-department relations.
    In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

    In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

    Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

    I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.


    The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

    Comment


    • #3
      You are right about an individual can cause a bad rep for a department. But watch out in Texas. The State Hiway Patrol also has a rep for being the police of police and issuing tickets to other cops. I have had a couple of run-ins with DPS. On one case I was going 10 over the speed limit and I admit I was wrong. I was spotted by a Trooper and he pulled me over. As he approached my vehicle I informed him that I was armed and showed him my id. All he said to me was License insurance. I did comply and again I told him as I was getting the insurance out that I had a weapon and was off-duty. He stated "I heard you". He then took my license back to his car and ran my info. He came back and wrote me a warning ticket and told me not to speed through his area again. I thanked him and wished him safety on the streets. After I drove off I got really mad at how I was treated. His disposition was very poor and he talked down to me like a child. I know I was older than he was, but I figured at least a little respect would come with identification. I was grateful for the warning, but I usually don't pull people over for 10mph over unless there is suspicion. The other time the Trooper was very nice, He did write the ticket, but then said he would dismiss it and he did. I have heard other officers
      Arguing with a Cop is like mud wrestling with a pig. Eventually you will realize that the Pig likes it.

      My Chief

      Comment


      • #4
        here we go again....

        Comment


        • #5
          I am not trying to start another professional courtesy dispute, we can talk about that for ages. I would just like to know why we brand a whole organization for the actions of a few.
          No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

          Comment


          • #6
            Hows the Kwaj? When I was in Okinawa and I a few buddies that went up their for some security forces gig.. not sure what it was all about. They ended up in Hawaii afterwards for about a month. Lucky bastards..

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mrkoje
              Hows the Kwaj? When I was in Okinawa and I a few buddies that went up their for some security forces gig.. not sure what it was all about. They ended up in Hawaii afterwards for about a month. Lucky bastards..
              It depends what you are looking for. If you want action, go somewhere else. If you want an easy job, warm weather (86 year round), and little stress this is the place to be.
              No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

              Comment


              • #8
                I think a few officers make it look bad for the entire department. We have a guy on my department who has written other LEO's wives and mothers tickets. He stopped me for speeding one day and acted like he was going to give me a ticket! We work in the same precinct, same shift!!

                That being said it is up to the other officers to police him. We have chilled him out alot.

                Comment


                • #9
                  all my encounters with fhp, all been good....the younger guys often
                  tell us who to watch out for, usually the seasoned 25 yr vet's....
                  the younger guys are super cool.....often heard the bad rap,
                  but never encountered it......
                  " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                  " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mrkoje
                    here we go again....
                    I was not trying to get off on a tangent like I did, I was just making a point that one or two bad officers can give a dept. a bad rep. Sorry for rambling like I did. I guess I still have bad feelings about the one stop.
                    Arguing with a Cop is like mud wrestling with a pig. Eventually you will realize that the Pig likes it.

                    My Chief

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Original Poster about CHP

                      As the starter of the thread about CHP I will simply state that it seems here in California, among central and rural CHP Officers, that PC is not given. In fact they are pretty rude about it.
                      And I believe a few apples, in this case, spoil the whole bunch.
                      I WILL NEVER AGAIN GIVE PC to a Chippie (and I see a lot of them) and it's not bacuse of my case. It is because of the horror stories I hear from other LEOs about members of the CHP. They have an attitude among them that I don't like.
                      They stopped my partner about a year ago and accused him of drunk driving, becasue he went out of his lane lines a few times. And after he identified himself, the Chippe said I don't care who you are: "have you had anything to drink". Low and behold my partner was not drinking, he reached back in the back seat to obtain a milk bottle that his 2 year old daughter had dropped.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bluep7
                        ...I WILL NEVER AGAIN GIVE PC to a Chippie (and I see a lot of them) and it's not bacuse of my case. It is because of the horror stories I hear from other LEOs about members of the CHP. They have an attitude among them that I don't like...
                        Without getting into whether the trooper was wrong, I have a question for you. Since you seem to be convinced it is just plain wrong for one LEO not to show professional courtesy to another, why on earth would you vow not to show professional courtesy to another LEO? I mean, if you believe it's wrong if "they" do it, isn't it just as wrong if you do it?
                        Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mosetti
                          I think these cases involving CHP and FHP are just overzealous individuals and do not represent the views of the majority of officers in those departments.
                          You are 100% correct, but the fact remains that FHP and CHP just seem to have more of these "overzealous individuals" than other departments and these officers seem to have a real "CHiP" on their shoulders!

                          They have more of these individuals so the stories are worse about them.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by bluep7
                            As the starter of the thread about CHP I will simply state that it seems here in California, among central and rural CHP Officers, that PC is not given. In fact they are pretty rude about it.
                            And I believe a few apples, in this case, spoil the whole bunch.
                            I WILL NEVER AGAIN GIVE PC to a Chippie (and I see a lot of them) and it's not bacuse of my case. It is because of the horror stories I hear from other LEOs about members of the CHP. They have an attitude among them that I don't like.
                            They stopped my partner about a year ago and accused him of drunk driving, becasue he went out of his lane lines a few times. And after he identified himself, the Chippe said I don't care who you are: "have you had anything to drink". Low and behold my partner was not drinking, he reached back in the back seat to obtain a milk bottle that his 2 year old daughter had dropped.
                            Oh Geeez, we gotta listen to him again? Tell ya what blue, come on over to the central valley and I will let you speed up and down the freeway and won't even stop you. Will that make you feel better?
                            Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mobrien316
                              Without getting into whether the trooper was wrong, I have a question for you. Since you seem to be convinced it is just plain wrong for one LEO not to show professional courtesy to another, why on earth would you vow not to show professional courtesy to another LEO? I mean, if you believe it's wrong if "they" do it, isn't it just as wrong if you do it?
                              It would only be correct IMO to nail the specific troop that stuck it to you or better yet his write teenage kid (ruin his insurance rates) hahahhaa. Revenge should be focused.
                              Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5532 users online. 333 members and 5199 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X