300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pursuit policies at university PDs?

I am curious what your pursuit policies (or lack thereof) are like with university PDs. We're only allowed to pursue (vehicles) when a felony has occurred and deadly force would be authorized in apprehending the suspect.

Translation: You will never pursue!

What is everyone else's like?

Chasing people on foot is always permissible though...in case anyone was wondering.

Originally posted by CrymsinSky
    I am curious what your pursuit policies (or lack thereof) are like with university PDs. We're only allowed to pursue (vehicles) when a felony has occurred and deadly force would be authorized in apprehending the suspect.

Translation: You will never pursue!

What is everyone else's like?

Chasing people on foot is always permissible though...in case anyone was wondering.
    The campus police at my university aren't allowed be apart in any vehicle pursue. They are to report them to the city police or sheriff office. In a nut shell the campus cops at my university is nothing more then a kid who can write in house tickets to students who park in visitor parking spots witch is really nothing more then a joke. Most of campus cops here only get a golf cart to drive around, not idea for a vehicle pursue.

Comment

Originally posted by Netopalis
      The campus police at my university aren't allowed be apart in any vehicle pursue. They are to report them to the city police or sheriff office. In a nut shell the campus cops at my university is nothing more then a kid who can write in house tickets to students who park in visitor parking spots witch is really nothing more then a joke. Most of campus cops here only get a golf cart to drive around, not idea for a vehicle pursue.
      The people at your campus aren

Comment

Netapolis,

What school do you go to? Tennsix is right, they may just be security. Police are Police. I don't care if the word Forest Preseve, Unversity/Campus, Transit or Chicago are in front. I've seen to many times how people think its all a big joke when they get arrested by some agency other than a city.. Guess what...it all goes to the same Court House.Sorry about the rant

Comment

[QUOTE=Tennsix]The people at your campus aren
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
            If someone graduates the academy, has arrest powers, and carries a gun, they're a cop.

That being said, the only campus PD's in MA that have the authority to enforce motor vehicle law are the various UMass campuses. Many private schools (Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern University, among others) have very professional police departments, their equipment and in-service training kicks the **** out of anything I have. Just because they can't conduct traffic stops, and therefore cannot pursue, doesn't negate the fact that they're cops.
            I agree with that. But Netapolis made sound as though people at his school can only issue parking tickets and have no police authority. If that is the case, they are strictly security

Comment

I don't think Netopolis is even supposed to be posting in this forum.... Moderator?

Comment

Our policy states that we can pursue a vehicle if we reasonable belive a felony has been committed or they are serious danger to others and only 2 campus units can pursue.

Comment

Originally posted by ciscokid
                  Our policy states that we can pursue a vehicle if we reasonable belive a felony has been committed or they are serious danger to others and only 2 campus units can pursue.
                  Now I like that...open ended but not. Our policy further restricts that only one vehicle may pursue and another may follow on a parallel course and NEVER directly behind the primary unit. Even if our pursuit policy wasn't so restrictive...I wouldn't pursue without a back-up.

Comment

So far i've been involved in assisting city agency in 2 veh pursuits.

Comment

The University that I work at has a pursuit policy that states that pursuit can occur, but if a non-violent felony the pursuit shall terminate at 3 miles from campus. Since we have state-wide authority to follow-up on a crime that occurs on campus, I think the policy is sufficient. I am not a fan of non violent felony pursuits in general because I have been stung by this in the past before I retired from the City P.D.

I think the bottom line is, no matter who you work for, the employer (The Gov'ment) does not want you to pursue unless under extreme circumstances because of liability and lawsuits. They just don't have the balls to tell us that up-front, so they come up with vague pursuit polcies that are open ended. It's all about the MONEY.

I know I wont pursue anybody unless it's a violent felony situation, or going to assist a brother Officer.
                      It's just not worth it!

Believe me, the Dept. will let you hang in the wind if you have a wreck and injure somebody in a pursuit over traffic BS. I've seen it happen first hand.

DeltaCop
                      "For those who fight for it, Life has a meaning that the sheltered will never know"

Unknown Marine
                      Khe Sanh

Comment

Spoken with experience and wisdom.

Comment

Here at the airport we may "follow" for veh.that dont stop for violations and may pursue for felony crimes. Same as every department but a little more cautious due to the amount of veh. and pedestrians around the location. Had one on New Years Eve!

Comment

Our Lt's are notorious for breaking off any thing that even remotely sounds like a vehicle pursuit.

We had a Lt try to break off a foot pursuit once because he didn't realize the cops and bad guys were on foot. A Sgt had to chime up and bring that to his attention. Way to go Lt!

Basically if you can chase them in a car you probably can shoot them. That's how restrictive it is for the most part.
                            I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

"Why didn't you put that out on the radio?"
                            "I don't know Sarge, I guess I got caught up in the moment"
                            "The MOMENT is when we F--king need you!" - K-9 Sgt Myhre to unidentified Officer

In Valor there is Hope

Comment

Is there an epidemic of pursuits at universities that we don't here about?
                              Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3224 users online. 152 members and 3072 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X