Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Army's surplus M16 program for Police -any info???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army's surplus M16 program for Police -any info???

I know that the US Army has a program where they will give surplus M16's to Law Enforcement entities. Does anyone know where/how to find out the contact info for this? I just found out about it when I was working an off duty job with one of the county's Sheriff Deputies. We were talking guns, I mentioned the AR15 I just bought to carry, and he showed me his full-auto M16! He said the Sheriff got one for every deputy's car. Talk about jealousy! I can't find any info on it though- even after searching the internet. Any info appreciated!
    "For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in The Lord will possess the land" Psalm 37/9

Originally posted by kokopelli
    I know that the US Army has a program where they will give surplus M16's to Law Enforcement entities. Does anyone know where/how to find out the contact info for this? I just found out about it when I was working an off duty job with one of the county's Sheriff Deputies. We were talking guns, I mentioned the AR15 I just bought to carry, and he showed me his full-auto M16! He said the Sheriff got one for every deputy's car. Talk about jealousy! I can't find any info on it though- even after searching the internet. Any info appreciated!
    We just got some of them. I'll see if I can get you any contact information. We weren't able to get as many as we wanted so I know the supply is not limited.
    Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

We were talking guns, I mentioned the AR15 I just bought to carry, and he showed me his full-auto M16!
      Just as a side note, I would strongly suggest that you do not opt for a full-auto rifle, or even a three-shot burst. It simply isn't suitable for law enforcement purposes.

Everyone in our patrol division has Bushmaster .223 rifles, and we specifically ordered them in semi-auto-only configuration.
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316
        Just as a side note, I would strongly suggest that you do not opt for a full-auto rifle, or even a three-shot burst. It simply isn't suitable for law enforcement purposes.

Everyone in our patrol division has Bushmaster .223 rifles, and we specifically ordered them in semi-auto-only configuration.

we have the M4 types and everyone would prefer that they had the capability of burst fire. i think it's the best available option to have. it is perfectly suitable for law enforcement. full-auto, no. burst fire, absolutely.

Comment

The best place to contact in reference to any military gear is the Defense Reutilization Management Office (DRMO). Since you are in Kentucky, I would suggest contacting Fort Campbell. If DRMO does not handle weapons they will definitely know who will. Hope that helps!
          No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Full Auto

The AR15 has a cyclic rate of fire of 1250 rds.pm. Just try to squeze off one shot. I get off two or three.
            EVEN THE M4 IS 750 RPM.
            Full auto is for those who have fired a lot of rounds and have learned trigger control , not civilian cops, who are not expert gunmen. They can barely qualify with their issue weapons.
            Mine is select fire.
            Absent a lot of expensive traning, the AR`s should be modified to semi auto for general issue. Which is easy enough to do.

Comment

Here is Kentucky's State coordinator for the government program.

KENTUCKY
              Captain John Ward
              Kentucky State Police
              Supply Section
              1240 Airport Road
              502-227-8744
              Frankfort
              FAX: 502-564-6066
              POC1:Mr. Jeffrey S. Perkins
              [email protected]

Comment

I mentioned the AR15 I just bought to carry, and he showed me his full-auto M16!

Unless he made the modification himself (or the Dept) the Army doesn't have any M16-A1's anymore they were discarded after vietnam in favor of the M16-A2 (3 Rd Burst) However (and I may be wrong about their department) I'm willing to bet they got M4 Carbines not actual AR-15's (M16) which are also only 3 rd burst...which is what we have in our vehicles M4 Carbines and Shotguns

Comment

Originally posted by BS_CJ
                  Unless he made the modification himself (or the Dept) the Army doesn't have any M16-A1's anymore they were discarded after vietnam in favor of the M16-A2 (3 Rd Burst) However (and I may be wrong about their department) I'm willing to bet they got M4 Carbines not actual AR-15's (M16) which are also only 3 rd burst...which is what we have in our vehicles M4 Carbines and Shotguns
                  We just received full-auto A1 model rifles less than 6 months ago. We are going to most likely be prohibited from using full-auto once they get issued out ot officers. However, they ARE A1 full-auto models. I have seen them with my own eyes.

I do not know why they still have them around but they do. They are not using them anymore which is obviously why they are surplus.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
                    We just received full-auto A1 model rifles less than 6 months ago. We are going to most likely be prohibited from using full-auto once they get issued out ot officers. However, they ARE A1 full-auto models. I have seen them with my own eyes.

I do not know why they still have them around but they do. They are not using them anymore which is obviously why they are surplus.

Thats very interesting. It was my understanding the Army got rid of them all not only because of the full auto nightmare in combat but also because they were not designed very well...of course most of the problems were related to troop training and the "vietnam environment" ....I'm just kinda miffed why anyone would want the "long" version of the M16 and not the M4 Carbine for LE purposes???

Comment

I know the military doesn't use the A1's anymore but leave it to the services to put stuff in crates and forget about it.

If your departments get any A1s make sure they are kept really clean and free of rust or they will jam. Ask any Vietnam vet who used it or anyone else that has.. they jam a lot easier then the A2.

There is no purpose to using it on full auto for the military or police. For one, no matter how good a shot you are, you wont be able to keep control. Two, you waste ammo and your expended bullets go stray. Three, your weapon will be 10 times as likey to jam before you empty the first magazine. Four, if your going to use it on full auto then you might as well hold it against your hip when you fire so at least you look cool.

Comment

Originally posted by BS_CJ
                        Thats very interesting. It was my understanding the Army got rid of them all not only because of the full auto nightmare in combat but also because they were not designed very well...of course most of the problems were related to troop training and the "vietnam environment" ....I'm just kinda miffed why anyone would want the "long" version of the M16 and not the M4 Carbine for LE purposes???
                        We have to take what we can get. These were free. It doesn't take much other than a piece of paper to tell officers if they use full-auto they will be fired immediately. Therefore, full-auto or three-round burst shouldn't be an issue.

Comment

I know the military doesn't use the A1's anymore but leave it to the services to put stuff in crates and forget about it.
                          Many of the M16A1's were reconfigured and turned into M16A2's when the Army decided to switch from full auto to 3 round burst. You will find the occasional M16A1 in service with the National Guard and Reserve and perhaps those are the ones that are being sold. The Army, in general, is switching to the M4 and should soon be switching to the XM8. I would be wary of surplus weapons for anything other than recreational use, as they have probably been beat to hell over the years.
                          Last edited by mosetti; 07-19-2005, 02:06 AM.
                          No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Our dept was on that list to do a gov't purchase. AR-15s on the cheap, but they were counting pennies and at the they time decided against it. We've gone up and down the regs and can't find one that PROHIBITS us from carrying a personal carbine or rifle.
                            Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

hey all- I've been out a bit with a new baby
                              anyway- yes the deputy had a FULL AUTO A1 M16. I looked at it, felt it, held it, stroked it, cuddled it, fondled it...er, sorry...I was in the Army, I know every configuration out there for the black rifle. What they did was give each road deputy one, and allowed them to modify them as long as it was inspected. What he, and a lot of other deputies did, was buy a 16" a2 upper themselves and mate with the FREE full auto lower. So, yes full auto may not be the best choice for LE, BUT -should the need arise, ie, al-queda, jihad, rabid squirells, whatever, the power is there at the twist of a selector. SAFE-SEMI-AUTO . nice
                              "For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in The Lord will possess the land" Psalm 37/9

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6340 users online. 359 members and 5981 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X