Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody else have to attend Community Meetings?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else have to attend Community Meetings?

For the guys who attend community meetings, ever have a day like this?

I was at a meeting today that I thought would go smoothly. Our guys had been making a lot of arrests in the problem areas including one suspect who we believe was behind numerous B&E m/v incidents (a big source of complaints at last month's meeting).

Of course this good news fell on deaf ears with these particular community folks. They were quiet for about three seconds until one lady resorted to Plan B about how we're not doing our jobs. She stood up and loudly insisted that domestic violence was up in the neighborhood and demanded to know "what are you poh- leese gonna do about it"? WTF?! I have no idea where she got this "info" but of course no one in attendance challenged her statement other than me. Her reply was "I just know, I just know" which could be heard just above the chorus of "That's right" and "Uh-huh tell it girl" in the audience.

Somedays I should just stay in bed...
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Been there, done that, got the hat & T shirt. I'd lay it back on her & ask her how she thinks the police can prevent domestic violence.

Comment

Originally posted by BrickCop
      For the guys who attend community meetings, ever have a day like this?

I was at a meeting today that I thought would go smoothly. Our guys had been making a lot of arrests in the problem areas including one suspect who we believe was behind numerous B&E m/v incidents (a big source of complaints at last month's meeting).

Of course this good news fell on deaf ears with these particular community folks. They were quiet for about three seconds until one lady resorted to Plan B about how we're not doing our jobs. She stood up and loudly insisted that domestic violence was up in the neighborhood and demanded to know "what are you poh- leese gonna do about it"? WTF?! I have no idea where she got this "info" but of course no one in attendance challenged her statement other than me. Her reply was "I just know, I just know" which could be heard just above the chorus of "That's right" and "Uh-huh tell it girl" in the audience.

Somedays I should just stay in bed...
      I didn't realize that there were any policing methods that reduced domestic violence. Last time I checked, that happened in the privacy of one's own home. I guess we have to sit in houses and babysit people now.
      Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

I was invited to one by a Community Police supervisor, since the residents wanted to know the officers assigned to the area, other than the CP suckasses. I had nothing to lose, so I didn't BS the people, and told the truth when they asked questions.

Let's just say that another invitation won't be coming anytime soon.
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop
          I didn't realize that there were any policing methods that reduced domestic violence.
          Bud White (Russell Crowe) had a pretty effective method in "L.A. Confidential".
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Meet

I have to attend these dumb meetings. The Sheriff suffers with me. Nothing of value comes out of them.
            Community support is a good thing, but these people do not know how to run an agency on a budget.

What ideas can come up that I have not thought of since 1968?

A good argument and a custom 1911 beats a good argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
              I was invited to one by a Community Police supervisor, since the residents wanted to know the officers assigned to the area, other than the CP suckasses. I had nothing to lose, so I didn't BS the people, and told the truth when they asked questions.

Let's just say that another invitation won't be coming anytime soon.

They don't even ask me to go anymore. The first time I was asked to volunteer I made it clear that I wouldn't be a good choice because I'd tell people the truth instead of spewing forth the department propaganda and was pretty much told that I couldn't go even if I wanted to.

Of course when it was brought up to me I was extremely ticked off. I'd just been turned down for training that would improve my job performance due to lack of funds. However, there was plenty of money to pay people overtime to go to the "national night out" dinners to glad hand the citizenry.
              Last edited by padowan; 07-11-2005, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Has been my experience that a strong drug enforcement program reduces domestic violence. I worked alot of DV as an investigator. When our jump out boys were out or they ran some warrants and shut down the drug dealing for a while, DV bottomed out.

Been there. It sucks. I got pummled at one and was to return for another night. I asked my boss to come so he could geta first hand ear full. He "was busy."

Many of the complaints I heard were about other city services.
                "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

I attended community meetings, and I usually developed a few informants from the meetings. The meeting are not always a waste of time.
                  Retired

Comment

I momentarily thought she brought up the domestic issue as some type of trick question. Sure I explained the fact that there was basically nothing that the police could do but it meant nothing, they just viewed my response as another excuse. I've been to numerous such meetings over the years but this was one of the more ridiculous.
                    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

I had to go to city counsel and give the report each month, so I just ran for city counsel. Now I get paid twice for going to the same meeting.

Whenever someone gripes at me for something that I can't change, I just ask them what to they suggest I do? The inevitable answer is "It's not for me to tell you how to do your job."

The statement "Well, all evidence to the contrary..." usually shuts them up.

****es them off, but shuts them up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6008 users online. 346 members and 5662 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X