300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Contract

I am a former (Florida) police officer and now deputy who is in a battle over an employment contract that I signed. It calls for the reimbursement for training cost which includes the academy tuition, equipment, and my salary. I have spoken with many who say that to take back the salary is not legal while, the tuition and equipment fees may be another story.

Does anyone have experience with this? Despite my attempts to speak with candor, I cannot get a straight answer from my former agency. All they want is money. I have tried to talk to them reasonably without an attorney and just keep things on the up and up but they only want to play a full court press.

Opinions, advice, experience, or random jibberish is welcomed.

Be safe

Originally posted by manhunter
    I am a former (Florida) police officer and now deputy who is in a battle over an employment contract that I signed. It calls for the reimbursement for training cost which includes the academy tuition, equipment, and my salary. I have spoken with many who say that to take back the salary is not legal while, the tuition and equipment fees may be another story.

Does anyone have experience with this? Despite my attempts to speak with candor, I cannot get a straight answer from my former agency. All they want is money. I have tried to talk to them reasonably without an attorney and just keep things on the up and up but they only want to play a full court press.

Opinions, advice, experience, or random jibberish is welcomed.

Be safe
    In Georgia, it is perfectly legal. You sign a two-year contract if an agency sends you to the police academy. If you leave before 15 months, you pay 100% of the costs the department spends to send you to the academy. This includes salary. It is fifty percent of the costs for 15-24 months into your contract.

This is actually written into state law.
    Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

This is a copy of our state law. You'll see it says it is the responsibility of the next employing agency. However, no agency will hire you unless *YOU* take care of the contract.

35-8-22. Reimbursement of training expenses by subsequent employer of peace officer; collection procedure.
      (a) Unless otherwise provided by an employment contract to the contrary, if the State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof employs a peace officer and said peace officer is hired by another agency within 15 months after completing mandated or formalized training requirements, then the total expense of training, including salary paid during training, shall be reimbursed by the hiring agency to the State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof which initially paid for such training. If said officer is hired by another agency during a period of 15 to 24 months after mandated or formalized training requirements are completed, then one-half of the total expense of training, including salary paid during training, shall be reimbursed by the hiring agency to the State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof which initially paid for such training. The council shall set standards for reimbursement by hiring agencies based upon actual expenses incurred in mandated or formalized training by individual departments.

(b) The State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof which initially paid for the training of a peace officer shall submit an itemized, sworn statement to the new employer of the peace officer and shall demand payment thereof and may enforce collection of such obligation through civil remedies and procedures.

(c) Effective July 1, 2003, in order for the State of Georgia or any county or municipality thereof to demand reimbursement, the demanding governmental unit must be able to document that the peace officer in question signed an acknowledgment of the terms of this Code section or an employment contract specifying the provisions of this Code section prior to such peace officer

Comment

Manhunter, what department down here? PM me if you want to keep it private. I have heard of many agencies requiring the contract, but have not heard of salary being included. I will make some calls and get back to you.
        In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Keeping what AtlCop said in mind, I am a GA P/O and I left my first agency before my contract ended and they never charged me. So it also depends on the agency.
          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

AtlCop I mp

Comment

My agency made me sign a 3yr contract(because of high turnover) and I tried to leave after 12 months. They tried to throw a $17,000 bill at me and I decided to stay and tough it out. While I'm there I'm just getting as much training as I can so I'm more marketable later on...Now, I'm also in GA and don't know to much about FL Law.

But I contacted a lawyer. He reviewed my contract and said that If I leave and make a "reasonable effort" to reimburse the money the dept can't sue you.
              IE: Pay $100 a week/month or whatever. But I decided I am not paying anyone s**t so at my 36 month point I'm outta there.

Comment

I did a bit of research. I came up with the same answer from most people I spoke with. They can require you to pay back all training expenses, uniform expenses, etc... but not salary. That makes you work for free, which is not legal.
                In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

I have found that searching for a good attorney is tough. Everyone would like to take the case and is positive about its outcome yet, none of the ones that I have spoken to have dealt with this type of contract. They all think I need a lawyer, but I dont need A lawyer, I need the RIGHT one.

My quest goes on!

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
                    I did a bit of research. I came up with the same answer from most people I spoke with. They can require you to pay back all training expenses, uniform expenses, etc... but not salary. That makes you work for free, which is not legal.
                    They *CAN* make you pay for salary. It is just in how they word the contract. If you notice, the Georgia example I posted says it is the responsibility of the next employing agency. Therefore, techinically they are not making *YOU* pay back the salary. However, you won't get hired by the next agency unless you agree to pay back the amount.

Therefore, you have to pay back your salary. They *can* and do make you do it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4977 users online. 268 members and 4709 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X