300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing for Sgt.

Once again I will be testing for Sgt. in late September. Our process consists of a written exam, assessment center, oral boards and a Chiefs interview. I am aware of some of the mistakes I made last year but I am looking for any advice from current Sgt's and above. Thanks in advance for any help given.
    There's no substitute for strength,
    and no excuse for a lack of it!!

Testing for Sgt.

Don't fully understand the "assessment center" but have an idea of what it means. Okay, you do well on the written, do the assessment well, and now you talk to the Chief. Seems to me , that's where you sell yourself. I don't know how well you know the Chief, or vice-versa. Look sharp, be sharp. Best of luck!! Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
      Don't fully understand the "assessment center" .......
      The assessment center is basically a series of "tests" that encompass what a Sgt. may go through on a typical day. Here is what I went through last year.

#1- The Chief sent out a directive stating that all Officer's must bid to another squad during the next shift bid. You have several officer's that are upset because they feel that their seniority should be able to keep them where they are. Your job is to explain to them the position of the administration and satisfy their needs as well.

#2- You have a subordinate who's work is deteriorating. He missed court and has been very depressed. What are you going to do with him??

#3- In Basket excercise; They gave me 7 tasks to complete in order of importance. I am supposed to prioritize and explain why I chose the order I did. Now, right in the middle of this excercise, they tell you that you have a missing child at a local school, possible kidnap...Now what are you gonna do?

These are just examples of what I went through last time. Fun huh?

Comment

Testing for Sgt.

Appreciate the primer on the Assessment Center. Scenario #1 is really impossible. BTDT as a sergeant. Your job there, as I see it, is to put management's point across, but let the troops bitch and growl a little. Bottom line, you have a job to do. The missing child call while you're up to your butt in paperwork. Drop what you're doing and roll on the call. It takes priority by it's very nature. Well, that's my 2 cents worth anyway. Best of luck!! Hope you get to sew those stripes on soon.

Comment

Well, that's my 2 cents worth anyway. Best of luck!! Hope you get to sew those stripes on soon.
          The pointy part goes up right???

Comment

I have no advice, but I am crossing my fingers for you and wishing you well!!

I know you, and I know you will make a kick-butt Sgt!

Good Luck!
            She wants someone to call her angel, Someone to put the light back in her eyes...

In honor of: Cpl Chad Powell USMC Killed In Action Fallujah, Iraq June 23, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by TheQueen
              I have no advice, but I am crossing my fingers for you and wishing you well!!

I know you, and I know you will make a kick-butt Sgt!

Good Luck!

Thanks, will keep you posted

Comment

In the assessment center I took they were looking for knowledge about Department policies as well as decisiveness. Confidence was a big factor.
                I took two days and reviewed the Index Code (S.O.P.) manual. It was just enough to be confident, yet not completely burned out.

Good Luck, Sergeant is the best job in the department (so far).

Comment

Testing for Sgt

Yah, the pointy part goes up. Good Luck-Keep us posted!!

Comment

Yah, the pointy part goes up.
                    That is, as long as you aren't Forrest Tucker in "F Troop".

(Let's see how many people know what I am talking about)
                    sigpic

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

Comment

Didn't recieve too much of a response, thought I would throw the thread to the front again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3291 users online. 155 members and 3136 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X