Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the grass greener on the other side?

Here at my dept we have a very HIGH turnover rate... Some say its because of micro management, some say better pay, some say better retirement, etc... When my contract is up, I'm probably gonna do the same thing...(My reason is the long drive, the pay, and micro management)..Does any of your depts experience a high turnover (people comin and goin!)??? If so, why?

I got out of one place that the brass had their heads so far up their own asses they lost touch with the real world, and landed in a place with the same bosses only to a MUCH lesser extent.

I think the bosses make the job good or bad, and that was the main reason I left the first place I worked. I just couldn't deal with their crap anymore.

Good luck moving on. From what I've experienced, the grass IS greener.

Comment

I worked for an agency that had the same problem with the bosses. They were more concerned about how they and the department looked rather than the police officers doing their jobs. The chief actually came into briefing one day to tell us that we were writing too many citations, and that we needed to focus more on getting out there and interacting with our community. Needless to say it got old, and quick. Problem was it was one of the highest paying departments in the county, phenominal take home program, and great retirement. However, the micro-management got very old, very quick. As cleetus said... The grass IS greener. You have to be happy where you are, otherwise you are putting yourself and others in danger. Good Luck.
      In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

IT HAS TO BE MOWED HERE TOO
        And boy do we have our share of WEEDS

Comment

Let's see....micro managing, favortisim, stupidity, boredom, the "I've-never-worked/lived/ventured-out-of- this-city-my-whole-entire-life/career" administration, for starters.

Comment

always having a influx of new hire's here even after they
            have been warned of " powertrak ".....

they must have a propaganda " Lt col " that i don't know

about....looks good on paper..and when they run their mouth

trying to recruit ya...push comes to shove, yr better off with a city

p.d that we have not taken over.

www.schackdaddy.com
            " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
            " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Seeing as we're on the subject of agencies...turnover etc.. I have been starting to consider other LE agencies in the next couple of years (waiting till I get my degree finished)...I had been looking at some Florida agencies..what's the scoop with some of them esp around Broward County..Palm Beach area...Pay...Morale...Management...etc
              "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

I just switched to a new department. After taking multiple tests, learning new state statues, new ordinances, full academy, boat loads of unneeded stress, I hope to God that it is Greener over here or else I made a poor choice.

Today I start to know, first day of FTO.

K9

Comment

Originally posted by krcool32
                  Here at my dept we have a very HIGH turnover rate... Some say its because of micro management, some say better pay, some say better retirement, etc... When my contract is up, I'm probably gonna do the same thing...(My reason is the long drive, the pay, and micro management)..Does any of your depts experience a high turnover (people comin and goin!)??? If so, why?
                  some will say, "the grass is greener where the dogs are ****ting." sure one may think another dept is better than their's. however, all departments have its share of things people arent going to like. it all depends on your own personal priorities.

i couldve left for a smaller dept that less promotional opportunity but paid better if my opinion of greener grass was based on money alone. however, my idea of greener grass was the chance of working in specialized units so if i left, id be leaving the green pasture for a field of weeds.

at this point in my life, the greener grass is far and away from law enforcement all together. last friday, i put in my notice for vested retirement. still, im not sure greener pastures await me but im willing to take the chance based on my personal priorities. in the end, its all about priorities.
                  "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                  William Shatner

Comment

It's not surprising to read that most of the line officer find fault with the brass. It's common and that has been the line of thought long before any of us started in LE. I suspect it will continue because as all us know, the line officers know how to opertate a department far better than any of the brass.
                    Last edited by retired; 07-04-2005, 07:12 PM.
                    Retired

Comment

Originally posted by krcool32
                      Yes, same reasons.
                      Kelly

We are the thin blue line
                      between you
                      and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Comment

I think its a trend to treat your Officers badly

A large percentage of departments treat their Officers badly.

There are some departments that treat their people well but not many.

The worst part is when you work for a department where the street cops are begging for equipment and the brass are driving all the cars and spending money on themselves.

Comment

I work in a field fire. It can only get greener.

Comment

Originally posted by USAcop
                            There are some departments that treat their people well but not many.
                            Where, prey tell, might these departments be?!? It is good to know that my department isn't the only one who nit picks their officers to death. It's gotten to the point where I don't initiate very much activity anymore because lately when I do, I end up in the Patrol Commander's office or "get talked to" about whatever actions I took. My agency doesn't get a lot of calls, so all our stats relies on officer initiated stuff. My stats have been sucking lately and I just don't have any motivation to do any better lest I feel like I'm gonna get hammered for it. Hell, they probably know my name on here and routinely read my threads...wouldn't put it past them.

Comment

Is the grass greener?

Not making light of anything said. It's not getting any easier to police,and now the operative thing is "partnership with the community",customer service, building trust" etc. Wonder if the bad guys have "Mission Statements"? I'm not advocating not being accountable,or being a law unto ourselves, but I think administrators and those who appoint them, place too many restrictions in the path of officers. In the real world, people ain't gonna like getting a ticket, getting their car towed, or going to jail. In the real world, people are going to kill each other, be involved in domestic violence, hit each other, main each other, and generally be crappy towards one another,and all the "have a nice day", we're here to serve you",and related B.S. isn't going to change it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6557 users online. 352 members and 6205 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X