300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University/Campus police unite!

Hey, wanted to see how many "campus cops" are also on the board.

You got one here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a retired City PD Sgt. after 20 yrs of good service. I started as a University Police Officer 3 months ago to get back into law enforcement to supplement my retirement income, but I didnt want to chase thugs over fences anymore. I love the job. The job is 90% security work and Patrol, but thats fine with me. The actual law enforcement work we do is at a student housing complex where we do have a thug element living, and handling domestic calls. The best thing is that in 10 yrs I can get another retirement check from the state. University law enforcement is so much more laid back than the daily chaos I experienced over the past 20 yrs.

The only other job I would take is as a VA Medical Center cop with the federal benefits, but it's not a big deal if that does or does not happen. All of the University Police Officers in Louisiana are commissioned through the La. Dept. of Public Safety and is only good on your employers property.

DeltaCop
    Louisiana
    "For those who fight for it, Life has a meaning that the sheltered will never know"

Unknown Marine
    Khe Sanh

Comment

Well DentNDude,

Looks like it's just us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeltaCop
      "For those who fight for it, Life has a meaning that the sheltered will never know"

Unknown Marine
      Khe Sanh

Comment

I'm one also!

Comment

I'm a campus cop as well....just completed my second year in June...
          "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

Another one here.
            "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Hey Guys,

Since there are several of us campus cops that have replied, let me share some personal opinions about the campus gig.

As I said before I am a retired Police Sgt. from a mid sized city PD (500+ Officers) in Louisiana. I put in 20 yrs and took early retirement, leaving in good graces at the age of 45. After many years in Detectives and Patrol, dealing with the human crap in our society, and with the infamous powers that be ("We eat our own!"), I had had enough. After I left my blood pressure went down, I lost weight, and I got off of anti-depressants. My overall attitude about life in general got much better. I seem to get along with my wife much better, and actually feel like a normal person, instead of hating everybody.

I was familiar with University PD work because I had done it for a short time before I got on the city PD in 84. I dont know about you guys, but I sometimes wonder if I would not have been a lot happier over the last 20 yrs if I had stayed a University cop, and not done the City PD thing. I guarantee you that I would have avoided the high blood pressure, and ulcers!!!!!
              The retirement package under the State is just about as good as the City, and the Civil Service protection is just as good. I can also move up the ranks faster, and would have probably made close to the same money after 20 yrs doing the UPD gig as the City job.

It just seems like the calibre of people you are dealing with is so much better, students vs. scumbag thug losers on the streets.

Anyway, what do you other Campus cops think? Any of you guys former or retired City or SO cops? Do you plan on staying in University work, or leaving?

DeltaCop
              Louisiana

Unknown Marine
              Khe Sanh

Comment

Whoa- this got long, sorry!?!

Slightly different path to my present job- I spent some years in the Marines. Then I joined the Army Guard. I spent a lot of time on
                "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

As for me...I grew up in a police family....Father..Grandfather...Great Grandfather...and several cousins were all city cops...up until two years ago I had worked as a security officer for a large Boston insurance company...I also had worked as an EMT for several private ambulance services...The security job paid really well and had good bennies...however the company had decided to sell off all their buildings...so I wasn't sure if I was going to have a job or not and I didn't want to go back on the ambulance full time...I had always wanted to get into policing...so I started looking around at college pd's due to the fact that my town's pd had just laid off ten new officers and getting on a city pd in Mass is very difficult because of civil service rules and local politics...so I thought I would give campus policing a shot...and after applying at several colleges... I got hired by a nearby state community college...

As far as our students go...I've broken them down into several different groups...the first is the kids that aren't quite sure what they want to do...so they try some different courses...pick a major and move on to a 4 year school...then we have the working adults..most of them are taking night classes...often they are trying to enhance their current job or are looking to move into something different. Then we have the last group...these are the folks we deal with the most...The people that have screwed off in high school for the past four years and act like the college is the 13th and 14th grade...more often than not most of them fail out or quit by the end of November...

Most of the calls that we handle here are larcenys... some threats..some drugs... vandalism...traffic accidents (esp the first month of school)...The campus is in a downtown area so we also get alot of people that have drug, alcohol and mental health issues wandering around the campus...esp being that it's a public school and just about anyone is welcome to use our facilities....we don't get alot of hot or lights and siren calls..most of it is past complaint follow up and we do our own investiagtions...
                  Personally I think it's a good job for a retired cop...not so good for someone that's gung ho...the pay could be alot better as a new officer starts at around 29k which isn't very good for Mass...esp since one could start at some private colleges for 38K to 40K...

As far as moving on from here..I'd like to be moving on to a city agency in the next couple of years..if not here then out of state...as many have told me that it's a young mans job and while I'm still somewhat young (have broken the 30 mark) I really don't want to be 50 year old rookie hopping fences...I have discoverd working here that I enjoy doing the investigative work....nothing like learning everything about something or someone you haven't met yet So I'll see what happens
                  Last edited by Sgt Jack; 07-03-2005, 10:55 AM. Reason: Made it easier to read
                  "Massachusetts it's NOT All here!!!!"

Comment

Well for me started going to college to earn my degree and save some money to put myself through the academy. During the process i started working at the campus police. Then got hired on by my department couple of months later after graduation. Since where are college is located, we get alot of garbage from the city. 1 semester we were making atleast 1 arrest per week, this last semester we were involved 3 pursuits(1 was ours the others assisting local agency), 1 foot pursuit, and 2 mental.

Pay is ok, could be better, but i'm thinking about staying. Its low stress, compared to my budies that are working other agencies.

Comment

I'm a police officer for a school district, not where I want to end up but the money is good.

Comment

I'm also a campus cop. I have to agree pretty much with Delta, FNA, Sgt Jack on the activity levels. I've never worked for a municipal dept., I started late in life (mid 30's) after 13 years in the Navy...had a wider variety of calls for service on Base Police.

When I first took the job my intent was to use it as a stepping stone, and move on to a municipal dept., but here I am twelve years later. We are below market in pay, but our benefits are great and we have the 3% at 50 retirement package.
                        Rated PG-13

Comment

Guys,

One thing I noticed is how big some University PD's are, and how big their territory is. Some UPD's in La. have got 50 to 60 Officers and many miles of jurisdiction. Some even have motor cops, bicycle patrol, and even numerous Detectives. Like working in a mini city PD.

One thing I can tell you guys that are thinking of moving to a City P.D.------Dont't do it!!!!!! Stay with the State level or go with the Fed's.

Granted, the City gig is more exciting for you adrenaline junkies, but Dept. and local politics, and constantly dealing with the human garbage of society (who have the politics on their side!) will eventually ruin the experience for you, and you will get to a point where all you can think about is making it to retirement. That is no way to live. Read some of the posts from City cops on this forum and you will see what I mean.

I have met a lot of City cops from all over the country over the years and it seems like all City LE is the same with the same type of people in command. Most of then have no supervisory skills what so ever, have little formal education, and are only in these jobs because they passed the tests. There is no way they could make it in the business world. Local PD's seem to attract a lot of these guys that are well, not stable, and when they get in positions of control make their subordinates lives miserable. I managed to stay below the radar with most of these types, but I have seen the damage they can do.

Sheriffs Departments have absolutely no job protection, which is a must have if your going to make the job a career. (nothing against the SO guys, just that I've seen a lot of them get fired when a new Sheriff is elected, so that he can put his people in place.)

Excuse my ranting and long wind, but just sharing my experiences. The bottom line--------Stay at the State level, or go Federal, you will be happier in the long run.

DelataCop
                          Louisiana

Unknown Marine
                          Khe Sanh

Comment

I agree delta, I am a VA police officer and I love it I do as much or as little police work as I want and I have great bennies. Every year I get a raise not like when I was with the SO. I work in dc and make 50,000 a year with out overtime. I say go federal and really look hard at the VA police dept.

Comment

Another campus cop here too...I have worked at a City and County agency and I am fine and happy where I am at. Should be as this is going on my 19th year.

We have had officer's leave our agency for city/county agencies and they have regretted the move, but the money was the biggest contributing factor.

We deal with bums and thugs just like city/county agencies and we are always backing up the city agency when they have calls/traffic stops in our vicinity.

Hey dentndude2, ur not by chance in Texas are you?? PM me if you wish as I am wondering if your at one of our System campuses.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4914 users online. 312 members and 4602 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X