X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta784
    replied
    Originally posted by cleetus0219
    The generation after me, well, they're a WHOLE different can of worms. Those guys start bitching from day one, with no regard for anyone. We even had one guy show up 2 hours late on his FIRST DAY of work. That's insane. They have the attitude that they DESERVE those days off, the shift they pick, and the details they're assigned. If they don't get it, they feel slighted.
    Wow, you guys have that problem also?

Perhaps the downfall began with the media (Oprah) telling parents that hitting/disciplining their kids was wrong. Parents seem awfully afraid to step in and take charge of their kids anymore. This directly reflects the lack of respect that you see from your newer guys.
    Well-stated.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Cop's Career

Have one more active duty day till "terminal leave" Official retirement is 1 October. Started with "Old" Clark County Sheriff's Dept in Las Vegas Nevada, March of 1966. Vegas Metro is pretty much "right on" with the time line. Sure, there are exceptions, but he's pretty accurate. Stay safe Guys/Gals.

Leave a comment:

• Softscrubb
    replied
    Vegas... You are pretty dead on with your time lines. I would only add that the guys in the 1-5 yrs (myself included) never wanted to think of ourselves in that light.

Cleetus... You are pretty dead on as well. I am 30 with 7.5yrs on. I have to agree with you as for the attitude of 'I deserve' rather than 'I will earn' that new and younger officers have. I admittedly came on when I was young (22yrs), so I don't necessarily feel a younger person can't do the job well. I am referring to the now group of 24-27yr old rookie officers who don't seem to have the same work ethic that my age and older seem to have. I am amazed at how just 3-5 years in age makes a big differance but you look at a guy who was born in 1984 and he can techniquely be a rookie at 21yrs old. A guy like that graduated high school in 2001/2002 or in the late 90's when they started pumping ritalin and prozac into teenagers for 'overactivity'.

Rant stopped....nice job Vegas on the dates.

Scrubb

Leave a comment:

• 1sgkelly
    replied
    You forgot retired; knows everything and isn

Leave a comment:

• Lucky Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by VegasMetro
    1-5 years: (Just learning the ropes, always carries cuffs, radio, ect off duty. Tells everyone and anyone he/she is a cop. Will work overtime just to work and really could care less about the money...)

5-10 years: (Think everyone besides himself or partner is an ***, hates any type of rank and thinks everything the department says or does is bull****! Has more use of force incidents than most cops..)

10-15 years (The best time for a cop, understands that this is just a job. Knows enough to solve the problems he/she is faced without stress. Not much gets to him/her, pretty much has seen it all...)

15-20 years (Looking toward retirement, not going out of his/her way to get hurt or really get involved with anything. On cruise control until the big day comes...)

Heres how I broke down our shifts:

Day Shift: Mostly family officers who want to be home at night. Alot of "old timers" looking toward retirement.

Swings/Afternoon Shift: Cops full of **** and vinegar, most of the 5-10 year officers are here. Lots of personality issues on these shifts...

Graveyard/Midnight Shift: Full of new officers, new sergeants. Can't wait to hit the streets to get to work, sometimes stay after work just to talk about the calls they went on....

Me and my buddy talk about this alot... Is this your agency as well? Feel free to add something if you like....
    Time lines may differ and severity of phases may not fall exactly in line with your assessment, but for the most part it is fairly accurate from what I have seen.

Originally posted by Stan
    Approaching 30 years in the business I look forward to work just about every day but I savor my time off too. I still like catching crooks & throwing them in jail. If I make an arrest, I file my own paper. I hate the polictics even more than I did when I was younger. I see too many people that just go with the program so as not to rock the boat & ensure their future promotion vs speaking constructively when appropriate & doing the right thing as far as what is best for the community. I can see that retirement light at the end of the tunnel but Im hardly on auto pilot.
    Although it sounds like Stan has a couple of years on me he has summed up how I feel in general. I am not running around with my hair on fire but I haven't gone into hibernation either during the last few years of my career.

Leave a comment:

• krcool32
    replied
    I've only been on for two yrs and I'm already in the 5 to 10 year stage.

Leave a comment:

• Stan Switek
    replied
    Originally posted by VegasMetro
    1-5 years: (Just learning the ropes, always carries cuffs, radio, ect off duty. Tells everyone and anyone he/she is a cop. Will work overtime just to work and really could care less about the money...)
    In my case never carried the radio or cuffs off duty & I have always been reasonable discreet as to my occupation.

5-10 years: (Think everyone besides himself or partner is an ***, hates any type of rank and thinks everything the department says or does is bull****! Has more use of force incidents than most cops..)
    I have been fortunate to work with some really good people in my career though I have known some zeros that had no business in LE. I've had good & bad supervisors, more on the good side. I did disagree with a number of our policies at that time possibly dure to the fact we had the worst chief ever in the history of police work during that period.

10-15 years (The best time for a cop, understands that this is just a job. Knows enough to solve the problems he/she is faced without stress. Not much gets to him/her, pretty much has seen it all...)
    My early years as a supervisor. Big adjustment. Started learning the politics, still am.

15-20 years (Looking toward retirement, not going out of his/her way to get hurt or really get involved with anything. On cruise control until the big day comes...)
    I was too busy to be on cruise control, not even a thought of retirment.

Heres how I broke down our shifts:

Day Shift: Mostly family officers who want to be home at night. Alot of "old timers" looking toward retirement.
    I would add we have a lot of new guys on days or guys that just flat cannot hang on nights due to the activity level.

Swings/Afternoon Shift: Cops full of **** and vinegar, most of the 5-10 year officers are here. Lots of personality issues on these shifts...
    Aint that the truth. Spent way too much time dealing with personnel issues.

Graveyard/Midnight Shift: Full of new officers, new sergeants. Can't wait to hit the streets to get to work, sometimes stay after work just to talk about the calls they went on....
    A breed apart to say the least.

Me and my buddy talk about this alot... Is this your agency as well? Feel free to add something if you like....
    [/QUOTE]

Approaching 30 years in the business I look forward to work just about every day but I savor my time off too. I still like catching crooks & throwing them in jail. If I make an arrest, I file my own paper. I hate the polictics even more than I did when I was younger. I see too many people that just go with the program so as not to rock the boat & ensure their future promotion vs speaking constructively when appropriate & doing the right thing as far as what is best for the community. I can see that retirement light at the end of the tunnel but Im hardly on auto pilot

Leave a comment:

• J--WS6
    replied
    I think even though i've only got 2 years on, I fit into the 10-15yr catagory. I definatly fit into the 1-5yr catagory (exept carrying cuffs/radio off duty) until a few months ago when micro-politics kicked me in the *** big time.

Leave a comment:

• That Guy
    replied

The generation after me, well, they're a WHOLE different can of worms. Those guys start bitching from day one, with no regard for anyone. We even had one guy show up 2 hours late on his FIRST DAY of work. That's insane. They have the attitude that they DESERVE those days off, the shift they pick, and the details they're assigned. If they don't get it, they feel slighted.
    Oh no, you guys are not alone. I'm 27 and I have found that in teh last few academies we get nothing but crybabies.
    The majority of the new guys want to work days and many I have never met or seen but the one time they were in FTO on mids.
    Nothing erks me more than new guys going and staying on days. They are here for the title and the paycheck.
    This partly expamds to my shift. Juniior officers will barely a year of probation get snotty when being directed by senior officers at scenes. It seems that if a Sgt, doesn't tell them they don't have to do anything.

TGY

Leave a comment:

• cleetus0219
    replied
    Originally posted by PTI
    The time lines here are right on the money. The strange thing is that my agency has over 6000 officers and I'm in a small office of 30. I have 19yrs on and I'm #8 in seniority so my office is a fairly senior office. The damndest thing is the new guys with only a couple of years on get there and bitch and moan that they dont get to work dayshift with weekends off and have a summer vacation. Does anyone else see this where they are at? I can remember when I first came on I was just happy to have a job.

It's my generation (people 28-35), and the one right after mine (23-28.) The thing is, most of the guys in my age group DO respect what the boss has to say and like it or not, we do what we are told - without bitching. Yet, the difference between my generation and those before me is that I feel I have a right to be respected as an adult and my opinion should count for something. You ask an old timer if he agrees, and he'll probably boot you in the head. Military bearing? I don't want to hear about that, I wasn't in the military so don't expect me to act like it. Respect though? Yes. I will respect my superiors even though I may not like them or their ideas.

Perhaps the downfall began with the media (Oprah) telling parents that hitting/disciplining their kids was wrong. Parents seem awfully afraid to step in and take charge of their kids anymore. This directly reflects the lack of respect that you see from your newer guys.

There is no cure, and it's only going to get worse. You see the atttitudes we have leaving the high schools now? Forget it.

Leave a comment:

• PTI
    replied
    The time lines here are right on the money. The strange thing is that my agency has over 6000 officers and I'm in a small office of 30. I have 19yrs on and I'm #8 in seniority so my office is a fairly senior office. The damndest thing is the new guys with only a couple of years on get there and bitch and moan that they dont get to work dayshift with weekends off and have a summer vacation. Does anyone else see this where they are at? I can remember when I first came on I was just happy to have a job.

Leave a comment:

• 3/4s
    replied
    I worked steady 12x8's my last few years. Night diff. and most collars were pure O.T. No tour change to days to cut into the cash!

Not too many big bosses around but we didn't start to slow down until 0400 when the bars closed. I was #1 in seniority out of 33 by 8 years and I had more time than the bosses except a shakebox Sgt. and the Lt. who I worked with for years. Pretty good crew though. A lot of rookies but they were pretty much on the ball.

Leave a comment:

• dentndude2
    replied
    Working on year 3 and I have most aspects of 5-10 year people and some of 10-15. Definately not in the first category anymore. I like my job but I think my administration goes out of their way to kill morale. I just do my job and go home these days just so I don't get called into the patrol commander or Chief's office for seemingly petty crap. Had enough of that.

Leave a comment:

• adavidh304
    replied
    Totally on the money. I'm a little ahead of he curve, I just hit 4 years on and think anyone that I don't personally know is good or anyone that isn't on my squad is an *******.

There's a similar breakdown in our squad bay Ill post it tomorrow, not going back to the station tonight.

Leave a comment:

• bradruth
    replied
    Pretty much spot on.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4161 users online. 276 members and 3885 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X