300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cops career...

1-5 years: (Just learning the ropes, always carries cuffs, radio, ect off duty. Tells everyone and anyone he/she is a cop. Will work overtime just to work and really could care less about the money...)

5-10 years: (Think everyone besides himself or partner is an ***, hates any type of rank and thinks everything the department says or does is bull****! Has more use of force incidents than most cops..)

10-15 years (The best time for a cop, understands that this is just a job. Knows enough to solve the problems he/she is faced without stress. Not much gets to him/her, pretty much has seen it all...)

15-20 years (Looking toward retirement, not going out of his/her way to get hurt or really get involved with anything. On cruise control until the big day comes...)

Heres how I broke down our shifts:

Day Shift: Mostly family officers who want to be home at night. Alot of "old timers" looking toward retirement.

Swings/Afternoon Shift: Cops full of **** and vinegar, most of the 5-10 year officers are here. Lots of personality issues on these shifts...

Graveyard/Midnight Shift: Full of new officers, new sergeants. Can't wait to hit the streets to get to work, sometimes stay after work just to talk about the calls they went on....

Me and my buddy talk about this alot... Is this your agency as well? Feel free to add something if you like....

This is good. I just hit my five and I'm starting to end up like what you printed. I think its time to move around the department to break it up.
    The only difference I see with my dept. is that Swingshift has the majority of new officers followed by Dayshift. I guess the Mids guys (like moi) scare new guys.

TGY
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

So Vegas, which one are you in?
      In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Cops Career

That is about right. By the way, the 5-10 year guys are the ones most likely to give the flip, arrogant response to peoples questions here.
        Jerry
        "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

i'm on year 9 and you can probably fit me into the 15-20 category.

i see a difference in how experience falls in with teaching too. newer cops that teach are quick to offer examples and tell stories of what they've done. vet teachers are quick to tell you how to CYA in the aftermath of the story they're about to tell and how they got rear-ended after it was all over.

Comment

Pretty much right on with the Dept I was with except the swing shift had many of the new guys and of course the 'mid-range' guys. Me, I like mids when I did patrol. No brass around to screw with me, plenty of action in the first couple of hours and then the rest of the night to finish up paperwork, shoot the breeze with my brothers and teach the new guys so they wouldn't get hurt later on. Of course in traffic we worked day shift on the motors but they left us alone and we did what we wanted except for the dog and pony shows so the public could see the nice pretty policeman and his shiney motorcycle every now and then.

Comment

wow, good info
              MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

Pretty much spot on.

Comment

Totally on the money. I'm a little ahead of he curve, I just hit 4 years on and think anyone that I don't personally know is good or anyone that isn't on my squad is an *******.

There's a similar breakdown in our squad bay Ill post it tomorrow, not going back to the station tonight.
                  We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
                  For he today that sheds his blood with me
                  Shall be my brother - Henry V

"Why didn't you put that out on the radio?"
                  "I don't know, I guess I got caught up in the moment Sarge"
                  "The MOMENT is when we F--king need you!" - K-9 Sgt Myhre to unidentified Officer

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Comment

Working on year 3 and I have most aspects of 5-10 year people and some of 10-15. Definately not in the first category anymore. I like my job but I think my administration goes out of their way to kill morale. I just do my job and go home these days just so I don't get called into the patrol commander or Chief's office for seemingly petty crap. Had enough of that.

Comment

I worked steady 12x8's my last few years. Night diff. and most collars were pure O.T. No tour change to days to cut into the cash!

Not too many big bosses around but we didn't start to slow down until 0400 when the bars closed. I was #1 in seniority out of 33 by 8 years and I had more time than the bosses except a shakebox Sgt. and the Lt. who I worked with for years. Pretty good crew though. A lot of rookies but they were pretty much on the ball.
                      Life is like a 3 ring circus and cops have a front row seat. It`s The Greatest Show On Earth.

Comment

The time lines here are right on the money. The strange thing is that my agency has over 6000 officers and I'm in a small office of 30. I have 19yrs on and I'm #8 in seniority so my office is a fairly senior office. The damndest thing is the new guys with only a couple of years on get there and bitch and moan that they dont get to work dayshift with weekends off and have a summer vacation. Does anyone else see this where they are at? I can remember when I first came on I was just happy to have a job.
                        Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
                          The time lines here are right on the money. The strange thing is that my agency has over 6000 officers and I'm in a small office of 30. I have 19yrs on and I'm #8 in seniority so my office is a fairly senior office. The damndest thing is the new guys with only a couple of years on get there and bitch and moan that they dont get to work dayshift with weekends off and have a summer vacation. Does anyone else see this where they are at? I can remember when I first came on I was just happy to have a job.

It's my generation (people 28-35), and the one right after mine (23-28.) The thing is, most of the guys in my age group DO respect what the boss has to say and like it or not, we do what we are told - without bitching. Yet, the difference between my generation and those before me is that I feel I have a right to be respected as an adult and my opinion should count for something. You ask an old timer if he agrees, and he'll probably boot you in the head. Military bearing? I don't want to hear about that, I wasn't in the military so don't expect me to act like it. Respect though? Yes. I will respect my superiors even though I may not like them or their ideas.

The generation after me, well, they're a WHOLE different can of worms. Those guys start bitching from day one, with no regard for anyone. We even had one guy show up 2 hours late on his FIRST DAY of work. That's insane. They have the attitude that they DESERVE those days off, the shift they pick, and the details they're assigned. If they don't get it, they feel slighted.

Perhaps the downfall began with the media (Oprah) telling parents that hitting/disciplining their kids was wrong. Parents seem awfully afraid to step in and take charge of their kids anymore. This directly reflects the lack of respect that you see from your newer guys.

There is no cure, and it's only going to get worse. You see the atttitudes we have leaving the high schools now? Forget it.

Comment

Originally posted by cleetus0219

The generation after me, well, they're a WHOLE different can of worms. Those guys start bitching from day one, with no regard for anyone. We even had one guy show up 2 hours late on his FIRST DAY of work. That's insane. They have the attitude that they DESERVE those days off, the shift they pick, and the details they're assigned. If they don't get it, they feel slighted.
                            Oh no, you guys are not alone. I'm 27 and I have found that in teh last few academies we get nothing but crybabies.
                            The majority of the new guys want to work days and many I have never met or seen but the one time they were in FTO on mids.
                            Nothing erks me more than new guys going and staying on days. They are here for the title and the paycheck.
                            This partly expamds to my shift. Juniior officers will barely a year of probation get snotty when being directed by senior officers at scenes. It seems that if a Sgt, doesn't tell them they don't have to do anything.

TGY
                            Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

I think even though i've only got 2 years on, I fit into the 10-15yr catagory. I definatly fit into the 1-5yr catagory (exept carrying cuffs/radio off duty) until a few months ago when micro-politics kicked me in the *** big time.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3115 users online. 149 members and 2966 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X