Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to help..Ofc Involved shooting...

HI All,

One of our sergeants was recently involved in a shooting. It was a doper (meth) kidnapping pursuit etc. Guy had the hostage and started pointing gun at officers. The Sarge took the shot and the suspect is deceased.

Shooting was investigated by an outside agency and ruled justified. The problem is nothing is helping him. He is a good cop with good morals. He came back to work after a couple of weeks, went to counseling and such. He took off again, still having troubles.

Is there anything, any suggestions that we (other officers) can do to help?
    I know there are vets out there with some experiences........
    Listen to all, plucking a feather from every passing goose, but follow no one absolutely.

My 1SG was in a sitution like this, especially after the paper wrote an article making the subject, he had to shoot, son, brother, father of the year...article failed to say how he got involved in drugs, terrorized an elderly lady for couple of hours, burglarized another house, threatened at gunpoint the homeowner, and had lost officers in 2 seperate pursuits in the same morning, which after the second, the k-9 unit was tracking him when 1SG observed subject concealed from k-9 officers in a prone firing position, with weapon extended aiming at k-9 officers. Top had a hard time dealing with it until he had a talk with Chief Deputy a few weeks later, Chief told him to go home and look at his kids and imagine what it would have, could have been like if things had turned out different. Remind your friend that the subject chose the course of action and you friend REACTED as he was trained to do. Good Luck
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne The Shootist

"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday, does not know what it is today"
    General Robert E. Lee, at Appomattox, Va

Comment

Originally posted by DT4EMS
      HI All,

One of our sergeants was recently involved in a shooting. It was a doper (meth) kidnapping pursuit etc. Guy had the hostage and started pointing gun at officers. The Sarge took the shot and the suspect is deceased.

Shooting was investigated by an outside agency and ruled justified. The problem is nothing is helping him. He is a good cop with good morals. He came back to work after a couple of weeks, went to counseling and such. He took off again, still having troubles.

Is there anything, any suggestions that we (other officers) can do to help?
      I know there are vets out there with some experiences........

We just had a officer involved shooting the day before yesterday. Two of our officers responded to a call of smoke. When they arrived, they made contact with a man in a truck on the property. The suspect admitted to setting the fires and told the officers that they weren't going to give him a ticket, or take him to jail. At that point the suspect pulled a gun and started firing at one of the deputies. The deputy fired 10 rounds, tripped and fell down. Thinking he shot the deputy, the suspect turned towards the Sergeant, who put 1 round through the suspects head ending the gunfight. Thankfully both of our guy's were not hurt.

It turns out the guy was armed to the teeth and looking for a fight. It looked as though he started the fires to lure people out to kill them, mainly the volunteer firefighters.

Your Sergeant saved the life of his deputies and his own life. He is a hero. Unfortunately when a situation like this occurs, we don't always feel that we did the right thing. The first thing you feel is relief that your fine, then you start second guessing your actions. Was there anything else I could have done. Then you feel anger that the person put you in the situation. Then you feel bad, because you took another person's life. It is the most ultimate decision a person can make to take the life of another.

Your Sergeant needs to sit down and talk to someone about what he is feeling. Trust me, I speak from experience. When I talked to these psychologist's I felt What the hell do these people know what I am going through. They aren't cops, they don't know what i'm going through. It is not a time to be alone. I ended up talking to other officers I know and on this site and it really helped me. I also spoke to a friend of mine who's a State Patrol Chaplin. No we didn't talk about god. He got my mind right. He reminded me that it was either me, or him. He reminded me of my family.

Let your Sergeant know that you are there for him. Let him know that if he needs something, just ask. If he needs a hug, or a shoulder to cry on, give it to him. Stop by his house when your on duty, see how he's doing. It takes time, but he will come around.

Does your department have a Crisis Intervention Team, that he can talk to. If not, the department should send him to talk to another departments CIT. Every one of us has our own time and ways of coping. Just be there to support him and he will pull through.

Comment

I thank you so much for the replies.

We dont' have a CIT per se. They did bring in some folks to help with the CISD.

Everyone has done their best to support him except for a couple of new guys that thought having to shoot someone was cool. Those were some comments that bugged the Sarge pretty bad.

I met with him a couple of times in a cul de sac to let him know we were there for him. He has been experiencing a miriad of emotions. I have been in several lethal force situaition, but I have never killed anyone. It is hard to try and tell someone "I understand" when you haven't been there.

He did what he felt was right at the time. Several other officers had the same perception. I wasn't there. It was a bad deal, but our guys and the hostage are safe and for the most part unharmed.
        Listen to all, plucking a feather from every passing goose, but follow no one absolutely.

Comment

Ofc. involved

Go to the O.com web directory, under stress and there is a large list of sites that may be able to assist in finding a local resource for him. The more support he gets, and the sooner he gets it, the better he'll be able to handle it. My support is behind him also!
          Jerry
          "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

I have to echo SD7's comments.

Let him know that your there for him. Talking to others that understand what we go through is important.

I never believed in the talking thing until I went through my shooting. I learned that I needed to talk, mostly to my peers. They let me know that theyw ere there for me.

And the hug, I got one for another officer right after the incident. It really did help.

Just be there for him.
            Remember, it is the Soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the Soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the Soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Author unknown

Comment

Shoot

I put a bullet through the left aorta of a burgler many years ago according to the pathology report. not bad shooting. I was a deputy sheriff. The outside agency treated me as the perp. I took a polygraph.

When I was cleared, now I am a vic and need counseling. Yeah, right; I would have shot him again but it was a .45, why waste ammo?

I had just returned from 16 mos. of Inf. combat with the 25th.Inf. 5th. SF, and a LUGA. This was nothing.
              The whole thing was really laughable, except some thought this joke a job.
              I do not believe in the talking thing. Had I to do it over, I might have fired twice. What is there to talk about?
              If you want to talk; talk. If you want to shoot; shoot.
              Do not get the two confused.
              Last edited by marshaldan; 07-13-2005, 05:07 AM. Reason: UNK

Comment

I am currently still on adminstrative leave for shooting and killing a guy in May. I really want to get back to work but the States Att. is taking her time in calling it a good shoot. I cant go back to work until she signs off. The investigation was done a month ago and the state police called it the cleanest shoot they have seen in a few years. I did not have any real problems other than trouble falling asleep during the first week or two.
                I think I realized that I did nothing wrong and he needs to see that to. It was him or me and I was not going to let him shoot me. Thats how I deal with it and it makes it easier for me. I think if there was any other thing I could have done other then shoot him I might have had a harder time dealing but I didnt. So if he can look in the mirror and honestly say he had no other choice then he did the right thing. That helped me and maybe it will help him. Also If he wants to talk to someone whos been thru it he can Email me ([email protected]) and I am sure there are lots of others who feel that way. After mine I got calls for officers all over the state who have been thur it and it was nice to see the support.
                Quick throw me your cuffs I already used all of mine
                Come here Slick Im not done with you yet

Comment

What was the outcome w/ the Sgt. since this was so long ago? Is he getting back to normal?
                  "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6161 users online. 328 members and 5833 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X