• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    marshaldan
    Forum Member

• marshaldan
    replied
    Small

You would not like it here. There is little crime and we do not cite for money. I intend to keep it that way.
    Officers may have muddy boots, this is farm country, but their weapons are clean and they can shoot all they want over Quals.
    I buy extra ammo with my own money. But then, I took some time from public service in the `80`s to make some.
    marshaldan
    Forum Member
    Last edited by marshaldan; 07-13-2005, 09:12 AM. Reason: UNK

Leave a comment:

• P/O CASS
    Guest replied
    I really hate to complain or sound like a disgruntled employee. Most new officer don't understand what is to be upset about. It took me 4 years. They just haven't hit the wall yet, where you know it's the end. The end for any advancement or change. I enjoy being in Ptl., working a beat, taking calls, ex. I just don't think a successful career is when your working the same calls as a patrolman when your in your 25th year of service. Also, most haven't been outside the department. You can read, hear, or watch other departments, but I wish more officers would venture out for at least a ride along with another agency to see what's out there. Don't get me wrong, I understand some officers are geared for small towns and I think that's great and respect that. I sometimes feel I may offend those with my complaints, but I just need more to consider this career to be successful.

Leave a comment:

• FDoom
    Forum Member

• FDoom
    replied
    P/O Cass

When did you start working at my dept? But I don't recognize your name. Oh Your not a new hire?

WOW! you described our dept very well!

25 officers, Lack of funding for training, radios are 6-10 years old and can't reach our repeater without help of a very high hill, No M.D.T's, be politicallly correct and All "extra money" goes back to city counsel.

But, Other than that the other officer work well together, most of the time they get along.

Frank

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    Forum Member

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    every 4 years i am subject to another " leader" ,

since i am not a " connected" man, my evaluations or things

i have done are based on merit and not cronism.

the best part is watching the " elite" get fired who made

rank w/o earning it.

no complaints about the money or equipment.....

I am riding out the last of my 3 yrs....at a easy assignment..!

Leave a comment:

• JRT6
    replied
    Originally posted by P/O CASS
    Most, but not all new officer are good and outgoing. For some departments it doesn't take long to ruin and good officer and take away his/her fire. I agree that it's not all about nice equipment but do feel that it plays a part in good moral.
    I can't say enough about that; "in" guys get everything under the sun and are considered perfect. "Out" guys get told their lucky to have a job and if they don't like it they can leave. In guys need us out guys, otherwise how can they look so good and feel soo important and so much better than the out guys doing a job that essentially a trained monkey could do.

I work my *** off and have won three awards for outstanding service yet I get told constantly that I'm not even a hair on so and so's *** and I'm constantly beat over the head with my weaknesses.

One year the morale got so bad due to inconsistant treatment among employees that the chief held a "morale meeting" and walked around swinging a baseball bat while telling us how he takes it personally that his benevolance is taken for granted.
    Last edited by JRT6; 07-10-2005, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chevyman
    Forum Member

• Chevyman
    replied
    I wanted to reply sooner but haven't had the time
    Me and you are in the same boat...
    Four Words...... Ohio State Highway Patrol,
    Keep your head up and if things go right we will both be in
    Columbus come November.

Leave a comment:

• P/O CASS
    Guest replied
    Most, but not all new officer are good and outgoing. For some departments it doesn't take long to ruin and good officer and take away his/her fire. I agree that it's not all about nice equipment but do feel that it plays a part in good moral.

Leave a comment:

• Runnin' 87
    Forum Member

• Runnin' 87
    replied
    You can all the stuff and toys in the world. It will be of little use if you fail to develop the staff to use it.

Good people will save the day ten times over before the latest gear will. Now, if you got good people, they can be enhanced with god stuff.

Leave a comment:

• curlyblue
    Forum Member

• curlyblue
    replied
    It's comforting to know I'm not "the only one" who is in a dept that's lacking in areas. It's a shame there has to be so many of us though.

Leave a comment:

• P/O CASS
    Guest replied
    curlyblue,
    Sounds like we work for the same agency. The only thing wanted here is the most up to dated computer software. Any other equipment is not a need. No command structure and nothing for a young troop to look forward to. The administration has grown up here and have never stepped outside their comfort zone. We didn't get a new shoe shiner "thank god", LOL, but we do have a new $13,000.00 speed sign on order, yea! the ones that show your speed and the drivers floor it to see how fast they can get their car going. Who needs to replace broken radar's or "rotating" overheads that are so old and pull so much power they blow fusses on traffic stops? I could vent all day but want to end on a better note. Even though I know there are many upbeat dept.'s out there that I would be very successful in, at least I have a good paying job with average benefits. In Ohio these are hard to come by. We all have to remember the time in our life when we didn't care as long as we had a job as an officer. This way of thinking gets me by. I don't even like watching COPS anymore or related shows. It only reminds me of the type of work pace and environment I'm geared for but will probably never see.

Leave a comment:

• Ken K
    Forum Member

• Ken K
    replied
    Fire insurance rates are determined by an organization called ISO. They analyze the fire department by type (volunteer versus paid), equipment, and things like the availabilty of water. Cities are rated 1 thru 10, with 10 being pretty much you are on your own when it comes to putting out a fire.

Just adding bodies or a new truck does not necessarily affect the town's rating. But, since insurance company rates to homeowners and businesses are based on this rate, lowering it one notch saves them a bunch of bucks. I am not aware of anything like this relating to police protection, so you can see the "politics" that may be invovled by the city leaders.

I served on a 12 member PD in a town of 9,000. It had two doper bars with fights all the time. We had three cars and we were lucky to have two officers working. There were Saturday nights I was the acting Sgt at age 22 and 1 year experience, and my other officer was a reserve. One time my car lost all power, and with no personal radio, I stood on the highway at 0300 until I could flag a car down to stop at the PD and radio the other officer to help me.

Our Chief would gladly give up a new car in budget meetings with the Mayor, but the FD got their money for a new truck. What can I say, that's apparently what the city wanted. I left. The guys later on went union, and that changed things.

Now to put this in perspective, this was 1975. Today they have 17 officers, good cars, new station, a fulltime detective and so on.

Small towns want small things I guess. Your options as others have stated are to leave for a better department, quit LE, or become Chief at some point and make changes!

Leave a comment:

• Catman
    Forum Member

• Catman
    replied
    Originally posted by cst.sb
    It is hard not to look at the fire department numbers and not think something is seriously wrong in the world. All those guys for 2 BBQs and 2 sleepovers?

We have a population of 200,000 people and on most nights we are running with 13 members for 150-200 calls. The fire department is sleeping with 90.

And I just love when Joe Citizen at a car accident tells the firefighter how bad he feels that the firefighter is working all night and says nothing to us! I laugh and say, they be working hard at sleeping!

The amount of firefighters on duty I believe is governed by the Insurance industry. They set out guidelines for response times and manpower, etc.
    Our population is about 40,000 and we run no less than 4 cars and a Sergeant on the road on mids. Most nights we have 5-6 ptl and a sgt. Lately, we just aren't busy at all. If we get five calls a night that's alot. The rest is building/area checks. The FD has about 28 guys sleeping.

What's funny is that the town I'm living in has a volunteer FD. One thing that's consistent is that both types of agencies can't save a house once the fire starts. Either it burns to the ground or the water destroys it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• TPO
    Forum Member

• TPO
    replied
    Originally posted by curlyblue
    They have acknowledged that officer retention is a problem, especially lately, and wonder how to overcome it but they won't listen to suggestions. Good ol' boy system around here. Same administration/city management for 20+ years and the only agency they've ever worked for. They don't have a clue what goes on in the real world. Don't think they care either. I will be moving on soon.
    that's the same issue in my department. it's almost like they're just a warm body in an office with nothing else to do but pick at stuff they shouldn't be involved in. we're also top heavy. we literally have more administrators working in the office than we do patrol officers on the street.

Leave a comment:

• curlyblue
    Forum Member

• curlyblue
    replied
    A lot of the same problems in my agency, although we get paid relatively well (based on the same size agencies in the area) and budget money is ok (though no o/t budget). But administration is lacking structure and they don't care that the moral sucks, nor do they care to find out why. Seems to me if the pay is good and officer retention is low....there's a problem somewhere! They have acknowledged that officer retention is a problem, especially lately, and wonder how to overcome it but they won't listen to suggestions. Good ol' boy system around here. Same administration/city management for 20+ years and the only agency they've ever worked for. They don't have a clue what goes on in the real world. Don't think they care either. I will be moving on soon. Maybe to a bigger agency, maybe not, but I'm sure as hell going to do my homework and find out "what lies beneath" before I turn in even one app somewhere. I'm not going to trade one sh**hole for another.

Leave a comment:

• Groundhog
    Forum Rookie

• Groundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by cst.sb
    The amount of firefighters on duty I believe is governed by the Insurance industry. They set out guidelines for response times and manpower, etc.
    You know, I never thought about that. I guess that's why when you apply for your homeowner's policy one of the questions on the paperwork concerns your home's distance from the nearest fire station.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5430 users online. 310 members and 5120 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X