300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The best job you will ever have"

Does anyone else work for a small department, say 25 officers, and the administration just don't care about police work? Administration is old and set in "his" ways. Cares only about pleasing counsel with a small budget before looking out for the Dept. or any of its officers. We are equipped with outdated equipment and anything new is bad, and old is good. Broken equipment needed to function as an effective patrol officer goes un replaced because "it's not needed". Gives all the un spent police funding back to the City instead of using it for any policing related needs. Oh, and the best for last. Refuses to provide any additional police training to officers because we will look better to other agencies that are hiring and we may just apply. Loosing an officer is not a concern, the inconvenience of having to replace the officer is. I get a confused look after being told "this is the best job you'll ever have". LOL. The City has major Money, you should see the FD. Here at the PD were just asked to "make it look good" and "like your pay check". I love this career and have always been the enthusiastic go getter, but anymore, I do just work for the paycheck. No one cares if you hideout all shift, heck, all year for that matter, or go do your job. Five years ago I wouldn't have given this job up for anything but now I have second thoughts. Has anyone else been in this situation?

Any chance of leaking some stories to the "fifth estate", so that the media can shine a light on the Chief's (and, by extension, City Council's) penny-wise and pound-foolish ways?

I assume that you have antiquated radios, no MDT/MWS, hard-copy reporting system, have to submit numerous, and duplicitous, reports on all incidents, more concerned with revenue-generation than pro-active policing, maybe even using fully-trained LEO/PO as dispatchers, clerks and other jobs that could more efficiently be performed by civilian personnel, plus your administration does not play well with other LE Agencies surrounding your jurisdiction?
    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
    "Smile" - no!

Comment

Rather than giving the job up, why not just apply to a larger, more progressive department?
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!'"

Comment

our problem is quite the opposite. we have PDA ticket books that no one can stand, dispatching over the laptops (with software that doesn't work), pepperball guns (that no one ever uses because they're too lazy to write a policy and we wouldn't use them if we could), and a bunch of other worthless crap.

but we get a tiny paycheck and medical insurance for a family is $800 a month. when we had a few grand at the end of the year to spend before it went to the general fund what did they buy? did they get the flashlight batteries we desperately need? nope. did they buy a few bigger alternators? nope. did i get a pay raise? nope. we got electric shoe shine machines.

the other problem is you can't get a flat fixed without the high command's approval. i have no idea why we have sgts. yea i do, they get to be the ones to ask permission to do anything.

it's ridiculous. we've had officers put directly in jeopardy because of our administration. if we were a business, we'd have gone bankrupt and moved out years ago. i wish at least two of them would quit or get fired.

Comment

It is hard not to look at the fire department numbers and not think something is seriously wrong in the world. All those guys for 2 BBQs and 2 sleepovers?

We have a population of 200,000 people and on most nights we are running with 13 members for 150-200 calls. The fire department is sleeping with 90.

And I just love when Joe Citizen at a car accident tells the firefighter how bad he feels that the firefighter is working all night and says nothing to us! I laugh and say, they be working hard at sleeping!

The amount of firefighters on duty I believe is governed by the Insurance industry. They set out guidelines for response times and manpower, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb
            The amount of firefighters on duty I believe is governed by the Insurance industry. They set out guidelines for response times and manpower, etc.
            You know, I never thought about that. I guess that's why when you apply for your homeowner's policy one of the questions on the paperwork concerns your home's distance from the nearest fire station.

Comment

A lot of the same problems in my agency, although we get paid relatively well (based on the same size agencies in the area) and budget money is ok (though no o/t budget). But administration is lacking structure and they don't care that the moral sucks, nor do they care to find out why. Seems to me if the pay is good and officer retention is low....there's a problem somewhere! They have acknowledged that officer retention is a problem, especially lately, and wonder how to overcome it but they won't listen to suggestions. Good ol' boy system around here. Same administration/city management for 20+ years and the only agency they've ever worked for. They don't have a clue what goes on in the real world. Don't think they care either. I will be moving on soon. Maybe to a bigger agency, maybe not, but I'm sure as hell going to do my homework and find out "what lies beneath" before I turn in even one app somewhere. I'm not going to trade one sh**hole for another.

Comment

Originally posted by curlyblue
                They have acknowledged that officer retention is a problem, especially lately, and wonder how to overcome it but they won't listen to suggestions. Good ol' boy system around here. Same administration/city management for 20+ years and the only agency they've ever worked for. They don't have a clue what goes on in the real world. Don't think they care either. I will be moving on soon.
                that's the same issue in my department. it's almost like they're just a warm body in an office with nothing else to do but pick at stuff they shouldn't be involved in. we're also top heavy. we literally have more administrators working in the office than we do patrol officers on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb
                  It is hard not to look at the fire department numbers and not think something is seriously wrong in the world. All those guys for 2 BBQs and 2 sleepovers?

We have a population of 200,000 people and on most nights we are running with 13 members for 150-200 calls. The fire department is sleeping with 90.

And I just love when Joe Citizen at a car accident tells the firefighter how bad he feels that the firefighter is working all night and says nothing to us! I laugh and say, they be working hard at sleeping!

Our population is about 40,000 and we run no less than 4 cars and a Sergeant on the road on mids. Most nights we have 5-6 ptl and a sgt. Lately, we just aren't busy at all. If we get five calls a night that's alot. The rest is building/area checks. The FD has about 28 guys sleeping.

What's funny is that the town I'm living in has a volunteer FD. One thing that's consistent is that both types of agencies can't save a house once the fire starts. Either it burns to the ground or the water destroys it anyway.
                  The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
                  Twitter Facebook

Comment

Fire insurance rates are determined by an organization called ISO. They analyze the fire department by type (volunteer versus paid), equipment, and things like the availabilty of water. Cities are rated 1 thru 10, with 10 being pretty much you are on your own when it comes to putting out a fire.

Just adding bodies or a new truck does not necessarily affect the town's rating. But, since insurance company rates to homeowners and businesses are based on this rate, lowering it one notch saves them a bunch of bucks. I am not aware of anything like this relating to police protection, so you can see the "politics" that may be invovled by the city leaders.

I served on a 12 member PD in a town of 9,000. It had two doper bars with fights all the time. We had three cars and we were lucky to have two officers working. There were Saturday nights I was the acting Sgt at age 22 and 1 year experience, and my other officer was a reserve. One time my car lost all power, and with no personal radio, I stood on the highway at 0300 until I could flag a car down to stop at the PD and radio the other officer to help me.

Our Chief would gladly give up a new car in budget meetings with the Mayor, but the FD got their money for a new truck. What can I say, that's apparently what the city wanted. I left. The guys later on went union, and that changed things.

Now to put this in perspective, this was 1975. Today they have 17 officers, good cars, new station, a fulltime detective and so on.

Small towns want small things I guess. Your options as others have stated are to leave for a better department, quit LE, or become Chief at some point and make changes!

Comment

curlyblue,
                      Sounds like we work for the same agency. The only thing wanted here is the most up to dated computer software. Any other equipment is not a need. No command structure and nothing for a young troop to look forward to. The administration has grown up here and have never stepped outside their comfort zone. We didn't get a new shoe shiner "thank god", LOL, but we do have a new $13,000.00 speed sign on order, yea! the ones that show your speed and the drivers floor it to see how fast they can get their car going. Who needs to replace broken radar's or "rotating" overheads that are so old and pull so much power they blow fusses on traffic stops? I could vent all day but want to end on a better note. Even though I know there are many upbeat dept.'s out there that I would be very successful in, at least I have a good paying job with average benefits. In Ohio these are hard to come by. We all have to remember the time in our life when we didn't care as long as we had a job as an officer. This way of thinking gets me by. I don't even like watching COPS anymore or related shows. It only reminds me of the type of work pace and environment I'm geared for but will probably never see.

Comment

It's comforting to know I'm not "the only one" who is in a dept that's lacking in areas. It's a shame there has to be so many of us though.

Comment

You can all the stuff and toys in the world. It will be of little use if you fail to develop the staff to use it.

Good people will save the day ten times over before the latest gear will. Now, if you got good people, they can be enhanced with god stuff.
                          "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

Most, but not all new officer are good and outgoing. For some departments it doesn't take long to ruin and good officer and take away his/her fire. I agree that it's not all about nice equipment but do feel that it plays a part in good moral.

Comment

I wanted to reply sooner but haven't had the time
                              Me and you are in the same boat...
                              Four Words...... Ohio State Highway Patrol,
                              Keep your head up and if things go right we will both be in
                              Columbus come November.
                              "I think one way the cops could make money would be to hold a murder weapons sale. Many people could really use good ice picks." Jack Handy

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6324 users online. 340 members and 5984 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X