300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Hours Shifts

Is there anyone who has information regarding 12 hour shifts with a 13 officer department?
    I have searched the other posts and have found great info about the 12's but have found nothing regarding a small department with 13 Officers.
    Also, I am "sworn in" to post in this site.
    Thanks for your time and condsideration.
    We intimidate those who intimidate others.

With a 12 hr shift most departments will have 4 "teams" to work the schedule. with 13 officers, have 3 on a team with one "floater".

This is assuming that all 13 officers are road patrol and not brass.

Comment

Dependent on how many officers you have/need on a shift, the 12 hour should provide greater coverage. Of course, I'm with a 200 +/- agency. Working with only 13 ought to work out well also through.

If you've never had such a shift before and may be thinking "what a looong shift"; don't. Way I look at it, if I have to get up and go in for 8, 9, or 10 hours, might as well make it 12. The days off are awesome.

If you're planning on doing like we do, you'll work 5 days one week, then 2 days the next.....and so on. That means you'll literally have half of the year off! Excluding overtime, court, etc.. Plus you'll have every other weekend off. It's great. Hell, see if you can swing 12.5 or 12.25 hour shifts, do it. Can't forget roll call!
      sigpic
      Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun.
      And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son.

Comment

Originally posted by KapsFB
        Dependent on how many officers you have/need on a shift, the 12 hour should provide greater coverage. Of course, I'm with a 200 +/- agency. Working with only 13 ought to work out well also through.

If you've never had such a shift before and may be thinking "what a looong shift"; don't. Way I look at it, if I have to get up and go in for 8, 9, or 10 hours, might as well make it 12. The days off are awesome.

If you're planning on doing like we do, you'll work 5 days one week, then 2 days the next.....and so on. That means you'll literally have half of the year off! Excluding overtime, court, etc.. Plus you'll have every other weekend off. It's great. Hell, see if you can swing 12.5 or 12.25 hour shifts, do it. Can't forget roll call!
        That's the same we do and I love it.

One week: two on, two off, three on
        Next WeeK: two off, two on, three off
        and out of those two weeks there is an 8 hour day lingering or work your extra 4 hours for overtime.

Comment

Our department went to 12 hr shifts last year. Some of the guys hate it, others love it. A couple of our younger guys are testing for the city police agency who is still on 8 hour shifts. They say the 12 hr shifts is killing their home life, and just wearing them out.
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
          United States Army
          5th Special Forces Group
          Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
          Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
          Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

in my little area everyone works 12 hour shifts. the s.o. has 6 deputy's, they work 4 am to 4 pm and 4pm to 4 am with 2 guys working 12 noon to midnight. this way there is a day shift deputy everyday, a night shift every day and a mid shift. every one works 4 days on 4 off. i also work for a 4 officer town as well on my 4 off and we work 4 on 4 off 12's. on the nights i work the asst. chief and other officer are on days off. when our 4 rolls around those guys are off 4 days and i work nights and the chief works days. at the county during the week its pretty quiet usualy so the deputy's can go home and come back out if there is a call, most p.d.'s off course have someone out all the time so thats irrelevant to this matter. there is a p.d. in town that has 6 officers and a relief man. the relief man covers shifts when people take a sick day or comp day. that city lets the officers have comp for anything over 40 a week. well on 12's you get 48 a week so they always get 8 hours of comp every week. i love 12's. the length of shift can suck but the days off are great.

Comment

We have a fifteen man dept. But there are only12 of us who work the 12 hour shifts. We have two teams two day shift officers 0700-1900, a Cpl. 1400-0200, two night shift guys 1900-0700 and a floater who works 1400-0200 or a 1500-0300 shift. We switch every three weeks, your body never really gets used to anything.

Comment

My old agency worked 12's or actually 11.5's it was split into three a side shifts and three b side shifts. Daylight was 0500-1630, evening was 1500-0230, and mids was 1800-0530. You worked a two week cycle, mon/tue/fri/sat/sun/wed/thu. Three day weekend every other week was nice, but it sucked if you worked monday night, had court all day tuesday and still had to work your shift tuesday night. Not sure if that would work with a smaller dept, but we went with it for the shift overlap during hot times. Plus it beat the old rotating 10's we had before.
                "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

try 10 hour shifts 4/3

Ok, 4 days on, 3 days off with (four one man cars) , (2)two days (2)two nights. Then you have an early car starting days.

ie. two (one man cars)pc's 0600 to 1600 days
                  two(one man cars) pc's 1600 to 0400 nights
                  one pc 0400 to 1400 early days

This is a 2 week cycle then have the second crew who works on the 3 days off overlap on their final day.

for A/leave lower your mins from 2 pcs to 1 and utilize reserve officers if you have any.

Have 2 members on call 7 days a week , 3 hours paid per day.

Comment

6 on 2 off 8 hour days we have been trying to go to 12 forever. But the old timers are too scared of change. By day six everyone goes to jail
                    Hey Ms. call my peoples yo!

07/03/04
                    Officer Brian D. Winder Rest in peace

Comment

I work for an agency that allots around 25 officers for patrol and we're working 12 hour shifts. I personally love it. We work 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off...and repeats itself all over again. It works out to only working half the month. The shifts go by pretty quick...for me that is.

It can be a killer to home life...esp if you're on nights and go into work as your family/wife/husband comes home around that time but with half the month off, you can make up for it.

Comment

My dept has tried 12 hour shifts, A lot of guys love the extra days off, some of the older guys spend the extra days off sleeping to get over the extra hours, hence gain nothing.

From a Collission Investigators point of view, I found it a little dangerous having officers getting involved in pursuits etc after driving all night.

8 hours a shift does me fine!!

Comment

Our Dept. has been on 12's for 2 years.....

Officers were recently asked by secret ballots if they want to stay on 12s, or go back to 8s, 4on2off schedule. Not sure of the results. Rumor is it is back to 8s next year...
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          In Memory of Staff Sgt. Matt Kimmell
                          United States Army
                          5th Special Forces Group
                          Former Deputy Sheriff, Vanderburgh County
                          Killed in Iraq October 11, 2005
                          Sometimes I wonder, who you'd be today!!
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.tryfreemasonry.org

Real men wear aprons..

Comment

I work for a dept of 5 with 4 doing actual patrol. We work 12-hr shifts in the same rotation that mdcop4life listed. I have been working 12's for 8 years now. I also worked the 8-hr 4/2 rotation for 6 1/2 years and can't imagine going back to it. The 12's do get long, but the extra days off make up for it. One suggestion is that if you are going to rotate shifts do it on a monthly or some other semi-annual basis. We rotate every 2 weeks and it is tough.

Comment

We're lucky at my place because we have permanent shifts. None of that bouncing around crap.

Sundays kill me though. Those last 10 or so hours are death.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3064 users online. 153 members and 2911 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X