Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ran over the man you were responding to help?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ran over the man you were responding to help?

N.C. Officer Runs Over Hit-And-Run Victim

POSTED: 7:55 am EDT June 10, 2005

GASTONIA, N.C. -- North Carolina authorities said a police officer responding to an emergency call of a man struck by a car accidentally ran over the victim with his patrol car.

Authorities said there was a car with its high beams burning in the center turn lane and they think the officer assumed it was someone delivering newspapers.

Instead, it was the person who called 911 trying to mark the location of the body. Police said the car's high-beam lights blinded the officer and he hit the body.

The victim is identified as Kenneth James Bishop, who was pronounced dead at the scene. Investigators are trying to determine if the 22-year-old man was already dead before the officer's vehicle hit him.

The Highway Patrol has been called in to investigate. They sent an accident reconstruction team to the site to try and recreate the accident. They hope to use some aerial photography from a chopper to aid them in that effort.

--------
    No doubt about it, this officer had a bad day!

that sounds like a big oops...
    RIP Brett Thompson, 17, 09/12/1989-09/14/2006

Seatbelts save lives

Comment

"Dispatch I am arriving on (thump__thump) scene".... "uh oh"
      Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Maybe he should have slowed way down if not stop before he got to the lights ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

EDIT
          CRAP ... SORRY

I didnt see the room this was posted in!!! ARGHhhhhhhhhhh
          Last edited by LovnTheFuzz; 06-13-2005, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Just for an update on this...the guy was already dead when he was run over. A friend of his has been charged with murder. Seems that they were out drinking (no way!) and got into an argument (you don't say!). Drunkard #1 strikes drunkard #2 in the head with some blunt object and left him bleeding to death in the road.

A passerby finds him later and for some reason parks a good way down the road with his highbeams on, facing the dead guy. The officer reponds and can't see much of the road due to the caller's highbeams. By the time he sees the stiff, it's too late, thump..thump.

Gibbmusic
            Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Dont you just hate when that happens? I try to run over my callers all the time.
              "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

No lie, my old man did this back around '73 or '74. Same situation. Guy was already dead so he backed off of him. He said the chrome on the ambulance blinded him as he drove up. Asked where the body was... they told him to back up and he would see.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  Maybe he should have slowed way down if not stop before he got to the lights ?????????????????????????????????????????????
                  I concur. If you can't see where your going then don't go there.
                  Job description as told by an old timer: "Drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

Comment

That is a mess I wouldnt want to be in for sure.
                    Bad Boys, Bad Boys, whatcha gonna do when i come for you?

Comment

Originally posted by jtm553
                      No lie, my old man did this back around '73 or '74. Same situation. Guy was already dead so he backed off of him. He said the chrome on the ambulance blinded him as he drove up. Asked where the body was... they told him to back up and he would see.
                      Talk bout embarrasing.

Comment

I hit trees, very hard. I think they move in front of my car. I cant understand it. One of these days I will figure it out

-My Sgt's hate it too.
                        "I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

Second City Cop

Comment

Asked where the body was... they told him to back up and he would see.
                          Is it wrong to laugh at this??
                          "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbmusic
                            Just for an update on this...the guy was already dead when he was run over. A friend of his has been charged with murder. Seems that they were out drinking (no way!) and got into an argument (you don't say!). Drunkard #1 strikes drunkard #2 in the head with some blunt object and left him bleeding to death in the road.

A passerby finds him later and for some reason parks a good way down the road with his highbeams on, facing the dead guy. The officer reponds and can't see much of the road due to the caller's highbeams. By the time he sees the stiff, it's too late, thump..thump.

Gibbmusic
                            I guess makes good story telling at his retirement party?

Comment

Hey ........ I think that officer is on to something, run over the victim and presto >>>> no report. SWEET!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3269 users online. 199 members and 3070 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X