300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport police...specifically DFW Airport

I am seeking opinions of the working environment of airport police departments. I am especially interested if anyone works for or knows anyone who works for the DFW Airport Department of Public Safety. They're accepting applications for police officers and I am kicking around the idea of applying. Thing is, I don't want to end up in a nightmare if you know what I mean. I am looking for truly unbiased and honest opinions, which is why I am not as interested in the department's opinion of itself. Thanks in advance.

I am leaning towards employment at the airport also. I have spoken with several DPD OFFICERS and the majority told me all airport LEO jobs have it easy. They later explained you are in a controlled enviroment and nothing really goes on. I have been inside DFW AIRPORT and basically i see the officers on bikes or walking. However I was told the PAT test is no joke.
    MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

Boston's Logan International in controlled by the Massachusetts Port Authority, which contracts with the state police for law enforcement services. I know a trooper who is stationed there, and he loves it. It's not really an atmosphere for a young hard-charger who wants to make a ton of arrests, but I can't think of another police job where your entire beat is air-conditioned in the summer, and heated in the winter.
      Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
        but I can't think of another police job where your entire beat is air-conditioned in the summer, and heated in the winter.

Any beat is if you never get out of your car.
        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Buddy tried to get onto the DFW police/firedept when he was getting out of the Army. He said the PAT is quite hard and most people he took it with failed. Remember, DFW does both fire and police so the test is mainly set up for the wannabe firemen in the bunch.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I am licking my chops for the PAT. The 220 yard sprint the zig zags and the tunnel crawl will be a peice of cake. I am already running high 22's in the 200. I am going to try and set a new record for the course. i take the test on the 29th of this month. Wish me luck.
            MY INSTINCT IS TO WIN, DESTROY MY OPPONENT AND MOVE ON WITHOUT ANY HESITATION AT ALL

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
              Remember, DFW does both fire and police so the test is mainly set up for the wannabe firemen in the bunch.

According to their website, they split up the Fire and PD.

http://www.dfwairport.com/employment/dps/default.asp

Comment

Just to piggyback on Delta's comment, you're not going to find any "balls to the wall, code 3 with your hair on fire" policing at an airport, even DFW. To the best of my knowledge, most airports have their own PD that's part of some transportation authority or something similar, so there's no real opportunity to get any real "street" time if that's what you're looking for.

My PD has it's own "Airport Section" that polices the airport, since it's wholly owned and operated by the city. If you need a break from crime fighting and want to "decompress", the airport is the place to be. Conversely, if you're at the airport but wake up one day missing the street, put in for a transfer back. There's always somebody willing to swap. Anytime one of the detective positions at the airport opens up, they're all crawling over top of each other to get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Wiggum
                  Any beat is if you never get out of your car.
                  When was the last 90+ degree day where you didn't have to leave your cruiser about 5,000 times?
                  Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

When was the last 90+ degree day where you didn't have to leave your cruiser about 5,000 times?
                    that would be good exept for the couple of CNG cars they have where the AC exploded giving the officers AC chemicals in their face.

they're not fire AND police anymore. they're just DFW Police now. i'll be out there all next week teaching.

most of what they do is just visibility patrol, whether on foot or in a car. they get a lot of training though. they have a lot of certified and experienced applicants so they are really picky when it comes to people without any training or relevant experience. that doesn't mean you don't have a chance, but it does mean you're probably going to have to apply several times.

i usually see the lieutenant every month or so and will probably see him several times next week. he'd be the one doing a lot of your application and oral board stuff. he's tough, but he's fair.

Comment

That's partly why I work graveyards, so the heat isn't so bad. The AC in my car sucks.
                      Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
                        Just to piggyback on Delta's comment, you're not going to find any "balls to the wall, code 3 with your hair on fire" policing at an airport, even DFW.
                        Ehhhhhh, I am not ready to 'retire on duty' just yet. Been on the streets for 2 years and I am still enjoying it. Maybe when I am starting to get sick of it...thanks for your replies!

Comment

nothing to see here
                          Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by olnacl
                            You really need to look at their retirement plan. From talking to some DFW officers a couple of years back it was easily the worst one in the Metroplex.
                            Take a look....

http://www.dfwairport.com/employment/dps/benefits.html

Comment

Originally posted by olnacl
                              You really need to look at their retirement plan. From talking to some DFW officers a couple of years back it was easily the worst one in the Metroplex.
                              Originally posted by Bearcatz06
                              I don't know, that looks like a pretty good pension to me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4970 users online. 309 members and 4661 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X