300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank Insignia

I am a newly promoted lieutenant and I am getting conflicting advice on the proper location of the bar. Some people are saying collar, some people are saying epaulet, and some are saying both. Where is the proper location? My chief has me wearing on the collars and shoulders. I thought this was a little over kill, but I don't mind. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Sammy
    If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
    www.samanthafund.com

Typically, police rank insignias are worn like military dress uniform insignias, but slightly different. For Lt., Capt., and Major, on the collar, either at a 45 degree angle, pointing to the corner of the collar (military style) or flat against the forward leading edge of the collar (so a difference can be told). Depends on if you are real close to a military base or not as to which way you wear.

Atleast that's how it was put to me.
    It's the ones you love that will kill you the quickest.

Official O.COM Man of Mystery.

Comment

we don't have rank where i work but there is a guy i know that was a captain at a small dept and he had his bars on the shoulder, collar, and even sewn on to the sleeves, I gave him hell about it all the time.
      anyway every body around here wears theirs on the collar

Comment

Typically, the only rank insignias that are sewn on the sleeve are for NCOs, much like the military. Patrolman first class, Corporal (senior patrolman), Seargent, Seargent First Class.
        It's the ones you love that will kill you the quickest.

Official O.COM Man of Mystery.

Comment

The Lt's on my department wear the bars on their shirt collar. On the jacket they bars are on the shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
            The Lt's on my department wear the bars on their shirt collar. On the jacket they bars are on the shoulders.
            Same here.
            If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by SammyCal1
              I am a newly promoted lieutenant and I am getting conflicting advice on the proper location of the bar. Some people are saying collar, some people are saying epaulet, and some are saying both. Where is the proper location? My chief has me wearing on the collars and shoulders. I thought this was a little over kill, but I don't mind. What do you guys think?
              Sounds like a Chief that likes redundancy... or is trying to see how well you will follow his leadership ...or never worked from the ground floor up.

He is either someone who is unsure of his own stature, needs people to validate him, or is ignorant.
              Your call
              Do you realize that in about 40 years, we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos?
              --------------------------------------------------
              Common sense... the LEAST COMMON of all of the senses.
              --------------------------------------------------
              Why are hemorrhoids called "hemorrhoids" instead of "assteroids"?

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Switek
                Second the motion...

Comment

Originally posted by SammyCal1

Thanks

Sammy
                  Does your Department have to follow a State uniform dress code?

If not, does your Department have written uniform dress policy?

If no to both, then I guess you would have to follow Chief Redundant's lawful order.

Then again, I am never going to be wearing rank badges!
                  #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                  Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                  RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                  Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

We do it the way Stan says.
                    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Are you sure you're not from California? Our Lts out here can't make a decision either. Wonder if its from the lobotomy when you promoted to Sgt or the spine removal when you made Lt.? Don't go gettin all worked up now either, I'm just messin with you.
                      Cowboys in town. Trouble expected.

Comment

Okay PTI, you got me. That was a good one. LOL

Thank you everyone else. I'm going to take them off of the shirt epaulets and put them on my jacket's epaulets. The chief will not give me a hard time about it.

Sammy
                        Last edited by SammyCal1; 04-29-2005, 03:58 PM.
                        If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
                        www.samanthafund.com

Comment

The collar insignia should be paralell with the lower edge of the collar and centered (usually about 3/4" above the lower edge of collar). Shoulders only on the jacket or sweater.

-web
                          Last edited by webjeep; 04-30-2005, 08:47 AM.
                          "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by PTI
                            Are you sure you're not from California? Our Lts out here can't make a decision either. Wonder if its from the lobotomy when you promoted to Sgt or the spine removal when you made Lt.? Don't go gettin all worked up now either, I'm just messin with you.

We always ask the new lieutenants if we can see the scar on their back from the operation.

Comment

Here is a blurb out of our policy manual:

INSIGNIA OF RANK

Lieutenant

Lieutenants will wear one bar fixed to each side of the collar of the uniform shirt, 3/4 inch from the leading edge and centered between the top and bottom edge of the collar.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6373 users online. 261 members and 6112 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X