300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Class A - Military Ribbons

For those who are veterans and are permitted to display their military ribbons on their Class A's or Honor Guard uniforms, where do you put them? On most police coats the badge is displayed where the ribbons would normally go. Some depts like the MA state police wear their badge on the pocket flap to avoid conflict. We were talking about putting the name tags on the right pocket flap and displaying the ribbons over the right pocket.
    Last edited by Catman; 04-26-2005, 11:42 AM.
    The People's Republic of Massachusetts

Communications | Technology | Social Media
    Twitter Facebook

Just a question. Why would you put your military ribbons on your Police Uniform anyway? I mean I know you deserved them, etc, but why put something like and AAM, Overseas , etc on a Police Uniform? I mean if you are Airborne, Scuba, Air Assault, etc. and your department utilizes those schools, liek NYPD does, that would make sense, but I jjst don't see putting Military Ribbons on a Police uniform, especially if it might be against Military Regulation...just curious. Let me know what you guys do though.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

It would never have occured to me to put my military ribbons on my Sheriff's uniform... not that I have any ribbons to be particularly proud of anyway.
      ~Slippery Pete~

If Thomas Jefferson thought taxation without representation was bad, he should see how it is with representation.

Comment

Our dress jackets are the old, traditional double-breasted with the two rows of vertical buttons. They don't have pockets, so our military ribbons (optional wear) go above the badge, which sits lower than on a shirt or regular jacket.
        Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
          Just a question. Why would you put your military ribbons on your Police Uniform anyway? I mean I know you deserved them, etc, but why put something like and AAM, Overseas , etc on a Police Uniform? I mean if you are Airborne, Scuba, Air Assault, etc. and your department utilizes those schools, liek NYPD does, that would make sense, but I jjst don't see putting Military Ribbons on a Police uniform, especially if it might be against Military Regulation...just curious. Let me know what you guys do though.
          Many departments do, especially around here. Civil service was originally set up for veterans to attain civilian jobs after WWII and later. Even today, MA gives alot of preference to veterans when it comes to hiring and promotion. Law Enforcement was always a career heavily comprised of veterans and is still a para military organization so there is alot of connection. Until recently we had a huge number of Vietnam veterans and all of them displayed their ribbons. Since the inception of our honor gaurd it has always been appropriate to display military ribbons. As far as military regulations I don't know and I really don't care since they don't apply to me anymore but I would imagine it would be the same as a VFW uniform, etc.

Ribbons tell alot about your military career to other veterans and active duty military and is a source of pride.
          Last edited by Catman; 04-27-2005, 01:50 AM.

Twitter Facebook

Comment

I did find this on another forum for those who care:

Here is a snippet from the USAF Standard AFI 36-2903 Chapter 4

4.4. Wear of Awards and Decorations by Retirees and Honorably Discharged Veterans.

Honorably discharged and retired Air Force members may wear full-size or miniature medals on civilian suits on appropriate occasions such as Memorial Day and Armed Forces Day. Female members may wear full-size or miniature medals on equivalent dress.

Twitter Facebook

Comment

My Force's policy is:

- Name Tags: worn just above, and centred on, the top sewn edge of the right breast pocket on our uniform shirts, soft body armour external vest carrier and patrol jackets. This is for both hook-and-loop backed type cloth (dark blue with either gold or subdued grey embroidered letters) and pin-and-clasp engraved plastic (blue with white letters for Constables and NCOs, gold with black letters for Officers) tags. Pin-and-clasp tags may be attached to, and centred on, the flap of the right breast pocket of our storm (winter coats). NO tags are worn on our Red Serge tunics;

- Police or Military Service, or other authorized Government and other Agency Awards: undress ribbons are worn just above, and centred on, the top sewn edge of the left breast pocket of our uniform shirts, soft body armour external vest carrier, or blue serge double breasted jacket. If awarded more than one such medal, the ribbons may be mounted side-by-side in order of precedence. Full-sized medals and ribbons are worn in a similar position on our Red Serge tunic (Regular Members) or blue serge double-breasted jacket (Auxiliary Constables) for ceremonial occasions;

- RCMP Commanding Officer or Commissioner Commendations: sterling silver(CO), or gold (Comm), rectangular (for our Regular Members), or oval (for our Civilian Members, Public Servants, Auxiliary Constables or any other person), pins, with enamelled triangular royal blue and gold accents, and 1, 2, or 3 bison heads (dependent on the number of such commendations awarded) may be worn centred on the left breast pocket flap of our uniform shirts, soft body armour external vest carrier, blue serge double breasted jacket, or Red Serge tunic (if no medals authorized - if so, this pin is worn just below, and centred on, the bottom point of the left breast pocket flap);

- Years-of-Service: 1 embroidered gold on royal blue star for every completed five years of service, sewn, and centred, on the left sleeve level with the breast pocket of our Red Serge tunics or blue serge double-breasted jackets;

- Previous Achievements:
              - - 1 embroidered gold on royal blue set of crossed pistols and/or rifles (with centred top crown for Expert perfect score on either or both) sewn, and centred, on the left sleeve just above the point of our Red Serge tunics or blue serge double-breasted jackets (pistol over rifle) for Sharpshooter level on annual qualification;
              - - 1 embroidered gold, red and white on royal blue set of crossed lances in a similar location as above (above the Sharpshooter) for previous tour with the Musical Ride.
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

We're actuallly moving to actual medals on the honor guard uniform in lieu of ribbons. Since the honor guard uniform would be considered our most formal dress the medals are more appropriate. We just need to decide if we will go with miniature medals (mess dress). The minis may be better since they will not dominate the uniform.

Twitter Facebook

Comment

Shoot I should go to Mass just so I can wear my BS AF training ribbons.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0
                    That's just wrong!

Any medal or ribbon a person has is important to that person. Don't mock it.
                    "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

You can do what ever you want, dumbass. Some of us are proud of our service.

Twitter Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Catman
                        You can do what ever you want, dumbass. Some of us are proud of our service.
                        I find it to be great and wonderfull that you are proud of your service. If you want to wear military ribbons reenlist, commission with whatever branch you were in or are intrested in. Military ribbons do not belong on police uniforms. There is a difference in being a civilian and being in the military.
                        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I find it to be great and wonderfull that you are proud of your service. If you want to wear military ribbons reenlist, commission with whatever branch you were in or are intrested in. Military ribbons do not belong on police uniforms. There is a difference in being a civilian and being in the military.
                          It's unfortunate that you, by your own admission, only have some "BS AF training ribbons". Some of us have some meaningful ones, and we're proud to display them.

The military doesn't have a problem with it, so why should you?
                          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I had heard that there was at least one PD that let their officers wear ribbons denoting military medals (silver star, bronze star, purple heart, etc), but this thread got me to check on it and I didn't find anything on Google.

Our PD just formed a color guard and they are thinking about using the enameled pins for various awards on the dress uniform. They need to find a vendor and that weird holder that sticks up above the badge. Anyone use them?
                            "Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince" - Unknown Author

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves." - Thomas Jefferson

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” - John Adams

Comment

Next time you attend a Memorial day parade make sure you tell all those veterans that are marching to take their ribbons/medals off. Give me a break. There is a difference between being a civilian and in the military, but just because I'm a civilian doesn't change the fact that I'm a veteran and will always be.

Twitter Facebook

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11661 users online. 512 members and 11149 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X