300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dispatchers suck

Im tierd of civilian dispatchers telling me that the priority three call in another beat is my responsibility. Im tierd of dispatchers being annoyed if i call them. Im tierd of dispatchers. They are support staff. They need to understand that. We could do our job just fine if they were never around.

had a bad experience today with a dispatcher.... Ill be venting for a few days.
    Peace by power

Re: dispatchers suck

Originally posted by PHXCOP
    They are support staff. They need to understand that. We could do our job just fine if they were never around.

had a bad experience today with a dispatcher.... Ill be venting for a few days.
    They ARE support staff. YOU need to remember that, especially the next time you're rolling around with some scumbag and they are the ones sending you help.

I don't know about you, but dispatch/call-taking is a job I can do for about 20 minutes at a time. I'm glad we have paople willing to do that job.

I b--ch about em too. But I b--ch about a lot of cops, also.

Sorry, know you were venting. Sometimes a dose of reality helps.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Comment

I'm with ya. We lost our two best dispatchers a few months, well one was great, the other didn't like me because I tried to do my job one day.

The senior dispatcher absolutely sucks ***. I can go a full city block, do a 180 and go back a half a block and stop, open the door and be ready to jump out of the car before she replies to my initial call.

She has also made it unwritten policy to dispatch by telephone. This in turn, since she's trained everyone else that has come in to dispatch by phone. I've been out in the boondocks, checking on abadoned vehicles, listening to every else go 10-8 turning on the sirens and I'm left there wondering what the hell is going on. So after I handled what I had going on, I call in on cell and she tells me I need to break from what I'm doing and respond to the call, 10 minutes after every else went that way.

The best that I know of happened last week. We have three newbies training in dispatch right now. One of them had to fill in for the one already mentioned last weekend. I'm out checking on a vehicle and see some things that I don't like, so I want to know who the truck belongs to. While I'm doing that, I hear one of my partners check out at a call. Several minutes prior, dispatch had him telephone in. So here we all are, not knowing what the call is or where he is at. I hop back in the car and use my cell to call dispatch about the tag.

Dispatch: "Are you still north of town?"

Me: "Yep, what ya got?"

Dispatch: "I just dispatched ** to a possible domestic about three miles west of you."

I went easy on the lad since he is new, but also made it known to a supervisor that one of our guys got sent to a domestic by himself over the phone. Needless to say, dispatch got a nasty gram taped up to their desk.

The woman that works day shift now, she absolutely rocks, I wished she worked nights. The newbies we're gonna have to help cause one of them is being trained by another girl that's been there all of 8 months. They seem like they'll be halfway decent, with some being better than others. In fact, some of us would rather see one of our newbies on Friday and Saturday night over what we have now.
      Really? Guess what, I still don't care.

Comment

First of all, it's "TIRED," not "tierd." Secondly, your dispatchers are your life line, and you had better learn that quickly. From the tone of your message, one can quickly ascertain that you haven't been a cop very long. You may not like it, but the dispatcher is going to determine what calls you take. If you were smart, you'd make friends with your dispatchers. Bring them coffee - bring them lunch - whatever. You'd be AMAZED how little things like that will make your shift go a lot smoother. Personally, I hate working traffic crashes. I bring my dispatchers coffee everyday. Do you know how long it's been since I've worked a crash? Quite a while. Try it.
        If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

If it ain't clicking in dispatch, it is broke on the street. You know what else, dispatchers are like your mother, if they ain't happy, and nobody going to be happy.

If you din't like barking dog calls, boxes in the road, and music disturbances, I suggest you spend time with your dispacthers and make sure they are OK.

Next. If you and your patrol buddies are having a little beef, and not getting along, ya'll can kind of go your seperate ways for a few days. Dispatchers can't run from their partners.

Keep'em fed, watered, and happy.

If they want a capacino at 2 am, not a problem, somebody is delivering capacino to the consol.

That said, I got two ace dispactchers.
          "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

ME

Comment

Originally posted by SWATcop
            Secondly, your dispatchers are your life line, and you had better learn that quickly.
            Well, I wish mine would start acting like it.

From the tone of your message, one can quickly ascertain that you haven't been a cop very long.
            I've been a cop for more than 16 years, and I can state unequivocally that my dispatchers suck, big-time. See my "VENTING" thread.

You may not like it, but the dispatcher is going to determine what calls you take. If you were smart, you'd make friends with your dispatchers. Bring them coffee - bring them lunch - whatever. You'd be AMAZED how little things like that will make your shift go a lot smoother. Personally, I hate working traffic crashes. I bring my dispatchers coffee everyday. Do you know how long it's been since I've worked a crash? Quite a while. Try it.
            My dispatchers have nothing to do with assigning calls. I'm assigned to a specific sector within a specific area of the city. When ANY call pops up for my sector, the dispatcher presses "D", and my unit number will come up. Unless I'm already tied-up on something else, I get the call. We are VERY big on sector integrity. I don't want to cover someone else's calls, and I don't want someone else to get stuck with mine.

As for buying them coffee & lunch, I don't want to be buddies with them, I just want them to listen to the radio and answer when I call. I don't think that's too much to ask.
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
              As for buying them coffee & lunch, I don't want to be buddies with them, I just want them to listen to the radio and answer when I call. I don't think that's too much to ask.
              i dont buy them stuff on a daily basis but once a year around the holidays, i'll buy them all lunch. i figure they work hard and they dont make that mych money so why not throw them a bone once in a while. there's times that they **** me off but people make mistakes. ive given up fighting with them.
              "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
              William Shatner

Comment

Having been a dispatcher I see both sides of the fence. I am a FTO for uniform and communications. I have found that there are four basic problems when it comes to probationary dispatchers.

1. They have never been in an officer's shoes so they do not realize doing certian things cause a problem for us (like putting runs out over the phone or not getting enough info from the caller). They are willing to adjust and they take constructive critisim well.

2. The dispatcher sees his/her job as a temporay gig until they make officer.

3. The dispatcher is a wannbe cop. For some reason he/she has not been able to become an officer. He/she thinks they know as much or more about police work and, by God, they are going to prove it.

4. They don't have a clue! Those people generally don't last long.

Having said all of that, we officers should generally show more flexiblity and be more responsive to their concerns as well. I feel that dipatchers are colleagues and as such they are law enforcement professionals too.
                Last edited by Tennsix; 12-22-2004, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I've been doing this job for more years that somedays I care to remember. I've had days when I wanted to reach thru the radio and choke the living **** out of them, wondering all the time how stupid can they be???

Having said that, everytime I feel that way and after I cool down, I go into the dispatch center and talk to the dispatch that I was having trouble with and find out what he/she wasn't understanding or was it something on my side I wasn't understanding what they were trying to relate. Usually that takes care of the problem.

I always wanted to make new Officers sit inside the dispatch center for their first week on the job, after the academy and before they started on the streets.

There isn't anyway in HELL I would want their jobs nor could I in all honestly function long in the job.

I always bring ice cream bars to the dispatchers several times a year or cookies, or if they call me and ask if I would run down to the fast food joint for them, hell yes I would, it pays back twenty fold people. I usually get what I want faster than any other Officer in the entire department, or the dispatcher go out of their way for me. Sometimes I take an hour out of my time off and go into dispatch and sit and BS with them asking how the family is or their hobbies are going. It goes a long way.

We all have bad days when we shouldn't be on the radio either.

I've found out that their not stupid, it was always a lacking of comunication somewhere from them (or me, damn I hate to admit that I have a failure)
                  Fear is only as deep as the mind allows

Comment

You make a very good point. It sure makes a differnce when a car crash comes in with 15 mins left in your shift!

Comment

My favorite dispatcher encounter was when a dispatcher kept telling me she couldn't copy me. I was a litte ****ed cause all the guys around me said I was coming across fine. I got a little snotty on the radio and she called my LT to complain. She told him it wasn't her fault that my portable wasn't working and I shouldnt be snotty to her on the radio. He simply asked her how she knew I was being snotty if she couldn't hear me. She hung up and seemed to hear my portable fine for the rest of her shift.

Comment

When I was in field training, I was getting a little frustrated with dispatchers. I thought that they were rude when I was calling things out the way I had learned in the academy, even thought it was not the same way that it was done at our department. They would call me out on the radio and correct me. What I took away from this experience was that I learned faster the correct way to do things. I think all of our dispatchers do a fine job.

Before I went on the road, I was required to spend some time in dispatch. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, I agree that I would not want their job. Sometimes I get frustrated with them, but I'm sure that sometimes they get frustrated with me.

What it all boils down to, as was mentioned earlier in the post as well, is that dispatchers are my lifeline. If I need help, they're there for me.

J
                        "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God"

Comment

First of all, it's "TIRED," not "tierd." Secondly, your dispatchers are your life line, and you had better learn that quickly. From the tone of your message, one can quickly ascertain that you haven't been a cop very long. You may not like it, but the dispatcher is going to determine what calls you take. If you were smart, you'd make friends with your dispatchers. Bring them coffee - bring them lunch - whatever. You'd be AMAZED how little things like that will make your shift go a lot smoother. Personally, I hate working traffic crashes. I bring my dispatchers coffee everyday. Do you know how long it's been since I've worked a crash? Quite a while. Try it.
                          So basically you depend on bringing support staff treats to not take calls?

We have to have dispatchers, some of them are good, some suck, Im over my bad day, however your use of bribery to avoid work is another issue. The library in your town is probably hiring if you want a career change. Dont bag on others about not liking their job if you resort to bribery to avoid putting pen to paper.

Im sorry if its not PC to not like most dispatchers. But consider one point.

Would you like a defecient cop, just to like him?

Just a side point. No dispatcher will ever tell me where to go unless I am ok with it.

For all of you that say that we need dispatchers to function listen up. Crime is thwarted by cops not people sitting in front of a terminal. They work for us. Their sole purpose is to make my life more organized.
                          Last edited by PHXCOP; 12-23-2004, 07:08 AM.
                          Peace by power

Comment

Actually we work with you, not for you. It's a partnership.

Our purpose is multifaceted and could not be described in any great detail on this site just as the profession of police officer cannot be easily described. Both professions consist of too much and neither have a "sole purpose".

Crime is usually thwarted by a team effort (depending on the incident) consisting of varying agencies and departments including, but not limited to, patrol, investigations/detectives, dispatch/communications, task forces, evidence techs, and the list goes on. Public Safety is a chain with each department and agency providing a link in that chain, one being no less important then the other. Without one link there, the whole thing weakens and becomes less functional. Bad apples in any part of the chain don't help things any either...
                            MrJim911

Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again

Comment

Originally posted by PHXCOP
                              So basically you depend on bringing support staff treats to not take calls?

Esentially, yep. I hate taking traffic crashes. They get their coffee & treats, the rookies get the traffic crashes.

Just a side point. No dispatcher will ever tell me where to go unless I am ok with it.

Well, that's not how it works where I am employed. Our dispatchers determine what unit gets the call. They are generally fair about it, rotating the calls evenly. Unless of course it's my turn for a traffic crash.

For all of you that say that we need dispatchers to function listen up. Crime is thwarted by cops not people sitting in front of a terminal. They work for us. Their sole purpose is to make my life more organized.

You should spend a week or 2 in the communications center, you'd probably have a better appreciation of your dispatchers.
                              If it wasn't for STUPID PEOPLE I'd be unemployed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8869 users online. 177 members and 8692 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X