300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bratton to Ban Metal Flashlights at LAPD

Streamlights for sale. Can anyone say kneejerk?

Bratton to Ban Metal Flashlights
    Praise -- and skepticism -- greet LAPD chief for his action in response to videotaped beating of suspect

By Andrew Blankstein, Richard Winton and Monte Morin, Times Staff Writers

Los Angeles Police Chief William J. Bratton said Tuesday that he would prohibit officers from carrying large metal flashlights of the type used by an LAPD patrolman to club car theft suspect Stanley Miller

Every LAPD officer should be carrying a X26 Taser. If the guy cracked the perp with an ASP it is OK?? Not much difference between flashlight and ASP. Lets see if Bratton has the balls to request the $$$ to get every patrolman a Taser. I imagine the answer will be a resounding NO.
    Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

lemme see, 8000 cops x 400$ or so a tazer unit, hmm, I don't think that even if he asked for it that he'd get it.
      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
        lemme see, 8000 cops x 400$ or so a tazer unit, hmm, I don't think that even if he asked for it that he'd get it.
        The cost of doing business and the X26's are about $700, but I am sure they would get a price break buying 8K. What's 3.6 million $$$ when lives are on the line
        Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

I'm not saying it is not worth it, but the CA budget is way in deficit right now and I don't see it happening.
          "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel
            ok I just lost all respect I had for bratton...
            over a flashlight? most cops down here have been carrying either the stinger or the little surefire lights for years. its about time LA gets with the times anyway. everybody i know who went from the big mag lights to the surefire says they will never go back to the mag lights. its alot more convenient.
            "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
            William Shatner

Comment

ok I just lost all respect I had for bratton...

As long as you continue to respect me, it's okay.

By the way, how is Ray L doing?
              Retired

Comment

Hmph, definitely sucks he made this decision, but sometimes as Chief you have to wear the political hat, and I imagine thats what he did. Although they did have a lot of previous cases where the flash lights were used to get suspects under control, I doubt they were honorary citizens just going about life. But, with that said, I think Bratton is one of the best things to happen to L.A. in a while. I definitely think he's more on the level with cops, and hes more interactive with them as well. Crime has went down in LA, and hes trying to get more and more Police there, just give him time.

Comment

I dunno, if they don't have a flashlight, I'm sure most LAPD officers have enough ingenuity to find something to hit the suspect with..... Seems kinda dumb to me. I always liked Kell Lites and such because they were durable and a good weapon if needed.
                  "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

It is an accceptable political decision that he had to make to keep his job. So don't hassle the guy too much over it.

He did not ban ASP batons did he ? They are lighter easier to carry and conceal and when you snap one open most idiots surrender.

Fladshlighs have been too easy to use as weapons for years and it's probably time for a change. Lots of officers have caused serious phyiscal trauma with them and faced suspensions aor lose of job and lost wages etc like nasty personal litigation.

Comment

It will be interesting to see the flip side of this policy change a year from now: how many officers will get injured OTJ scuffling with the bad guys while carry their new rubber flashlights.
                      WE ARE THE POLICE...RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!

Comment

Originally posted by SilentEnforcer
                        It will be interesting to see the flip side of this policy change a year from now: how many officers will get injured OTJ scuffling with the bad guys while carry their new rubber flashlights.
                        i doubt officer assaults will rise. most of our guys carry the little surefire lights. i dont think we've been any more susceptible to assaults and injuries as opposed to departments that issue the big mag lights.
                        "The American public will find it refreshing to see a Republican candidate, who's not a moralistic, sexually repressed, crusading hypocrite, who cruises airport men's rooms late at night."
                        William Shatner

Comment

Originally posted by Bart
                          over a flashlight? most cops down here have been carrying either the stinger or the little surefire lights for years. its about time LA gets with the times anyway. everybody i know who went from the big mag lights to the surefire says they will never go back to the mag lights. its alot more convenient.
                          Gets with the times? Are you kidding me, Bart? Best I can tell, the cutting edge of law enforcement has for many years been the LAPD.

My PD banned the use of metal flashlights a couple of years ago (not the size of the light, just metal) and the troops haven't stopped complaining since. NJ rules dictate that a flashnight may not be used as an "offensive" weapon and plenty of cops have saved themselves utilizing the things defensively.

The real problem is not what the guys are carrying. Are they to take my hand-set next? Suspects have been croaked with them, too. It's all about the guy that can't reign in his out of control emotions and adrenaline.

Bubba

Comment

"

While I may not see eye to eye with you on some things, I'll always respect that you had BTDT for our dept. RL is doing ok. I'm hoping he will run again (although next time he might find himself at Mira Loma ). There has been a lot of coverage/attention recently over a few incidents at MCJ, RL was the only one who stood up to the finger pointers and smack talkers.

He's got a tough assignment (idiots making stupid/ignorant comments in the news about LASD/MCJ, upper echelon brass having unrealistic expectations and demands and not having the best interests of MCJ/Line Staff at heart, stupid deputies and C/A's doing stupid things and not taking responsibility for their actions, etc).

None of us are going to see eye to eye on everything, so that's okay.

RL used to work for me and I always thought he was a good guy. However he knew when he ran what the consequences would be if he lost. RL does have a tough assignement, and many in our department are unaware of just how tough.

Oh how I miss all of that!
                            Retired

Comment

I agree with Samuel for the most part. The decision sounds more knee jerk than political. If he has a problem with people overusing flashlights as weapons, then deal with the people. His approach is like blaming the car for the reckless driver.

I worked graveyard almost all the time I was in uniform and my flashlight was in my hand or tucked underneath my arm everytime I was out of the car. Since most of my calls the first few hours of my shift were in bars, it was invaluable. I could tap people with it gently or smack them a little harder to get their attention w/o having to pull out some obvious weapon like at ASP. It was readily available and something I would have had in my hand anyway.

On traffic stops, it was tucked under my left arm so I could see DL's etc. and easily available to deal with a driver who unexpectedly got beligerant.

Naw, banning them is silly. They are an effective tool.
                              "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2559 users online. 139 members and 2420 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X