300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you would tell your rookie self

So preparing to be cut loose away from field training. I'll be working in a crime riddled inner city which was once murder capital of the country. What are some things you wish you'd have known as a rookie? Thanks

Slow Down and relax, it will all make sense in time.
    Don't be the only guy on the radio at 4:15 am pulling traffic
    Talk more with the old timers and asked them "Why they did it that way- What made them look at something someone" etc etc
    Stay in Shape
    When you leave the shift leave it all there in the locker room
    Don't get so hurt when you see whose still your friend a year down the road
    Fight the "us against them" mentality

Honestly only time can truly teach you these things. Be Safe out there and it doesn't matter if your in the worst area or a rural area- sh-- happens every where. Be Safe and Alert
    MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Well since it's too late to tell you to be a firefighter; Learn to pick your battles. And watch the hands.

Comment

Originally posted by hpclayto View Post
        Well since it's too late to tell you to be a firefighter; Learn to pick your battles. And watch the hands.
        I've learned that early, most of my command staff is great however my sgt. in the academy liked to treat Me like crap. While on the other hand treated others a bit more favorably. Didn't let it get to me and just gritted my teeth and kept chucking along. As far as becoming a firefighter, it's ok I don't plan on Being in LE long, this is why i'm taking advantage of tuition reimbursement. Thank you for your advice.

Comment

Go home when your shift ends. Don't stay back if you aren't getting paid.

Comment

Crime never stops, work will be available. Make good use of your time off. You'll need it to unwind and relax.
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Be safe
              Stay calm
              Think
              Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
              In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
              Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
              Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

1. Gloves. Bring lots of latex gloves, and have them on your person all the time. If there is even the possibility that you're gonna need them, put 'em on before you even arrive.

2. Don't make proactive stops when there are calls holding; that goes triple if you are backing someone.

Comment

Learn to control your sense of urgency.

Comment

A couple of things that stuck with me over 25 years

(1) An old time sergeant told me "Don't go looking for trouble, trouble will find you, you're wearing a neon sign."
                    (2) A veteran cop told me " Don't do police work when you can be doing something else because when you're in a hospital bed wearing a colostomy bag you'll be wondering 'WHAT THE F**K WAS I THINKING?'

Comment

Start your retirement fund NOW, especially if...

A: you anticipate leaving your current agency in the future to work for another

B: your agency doesn't have a solid, traditional pension.

C: Have a back up career to go to in case of debilitating injury or catastrophic lawsuit

Listen to the old heads, they are old heads for a reason

Comment

For me it would have been to study harder the first time.

Missing out on Lt. pay right now because I half assed the first promotional test I took.

I'm still too dumb to offer my rookie self any advice.

Comment

Go ahead and lateral to a much bigger department where there are more opportunities and specialty positions.

Don't wait 13 years to become an FTO.

Be a detective a lot earlier - it turned out to be a blast.

Don't get too attached to the job or department because politics and egotistical managers will ruin it for everyone. If you understand that the department doesn't love you back, it's a lot easier to check out and just collect the paycheck until retirement day.
                          Last edited by ateamer; 09-08-2016, 10:33 AM.
                          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Learn how to talk to people... People are people, the only difference is you are a LEO, but you are still a "people" type. We weren't born in a LEO uniform. You may get them arrested, but the'll never forget you or how you treated them for what they saw as no cause.
                            Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none - William Shakespeare
                            Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.- James Mattis
                            It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. - Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cFL80PN3wA&sns=em

Comment

Originally posted by jhall View Post
                              Learn how to talk to people... People are people, the only difference is you are a LEO, but you are still a "people" type. We weren't born in a LEO uniform. You may get them arrested, but the'll never forget you or how you treated them for what they saw as no cause.
                              So true!!!
                              MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6787 users online. 271 members and 6516 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X