Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have to buy all of our equipment, including firearms and body armor. It was a lot of money at first, obviously, but I actually prefer it now as I was able to choose what caliber and size firearm I wanted, what brand and style holster I liked and what duty gear worked for me. There are requirements for certain pieces of equipment (ex. no cross draw handgun holsters) As far as flashlights, we can purchase what we want and I use a Streamlight Stinger LED as my main light on my belt, and a TLR-1 on my gun. I also have an Ultrastinger I keep in the car and an SL-20X LED that I have at home. I do have an old Stinger with the xenon bulb from a while back that I keep around at home too. I've never had issues with Streamlight products and their prices are better than Surefire. Also, our policy allows for flashlights to be used as impact weapons if they're used in the same manner as the expandable or straight baton, both of which are authorized for use, and actually one or the other has to be accessible while on patrol.

Comment

My department does not issue flashlights to the officers. They will be doing so soon, but it'll probably be cheap lights. I've been carrying a Nitecore P12 for over two years now. It's been working great. It has about a 1000 lumens and several low to high modes. I've done searches in field/woods and buildings, it has never made me feel like I had insufficient lighting. It's a good light and hasn't failed me yet. I use 18650 rechargable batteries and always have a spare in my bag. It's the most used tool on my belt.

The light is very solid as I've used it to "apply pressure" on a suspect's leg forcing him to comply. The light can take a beating.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Until you accidentally blind yourself in a building search.

I have a Surefire G2X (320 lumens) as my dayshift/indoor/ backup light and a Streamlight Ultrastinger (1,100 lumens) as my nightshift/ outdoor light. I also run a Surefire P2X (1000 lumens) on my rifle.
        If you "accidentally" blind yourself you aren't using your light correctly. We buy our own lights, but are issued an allowance so I guess they are technically paid for by the PD. We can carry whatever we want with the majority carrying maglite size/type lights. I use a SL-20L which is 500, a x300u which is 500 and a P3X which is 1k. Never had a blinding issue with any of them.
        Last edited by SCSU74; 12-28-2016, 10:07 AM.
        In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post

If you "accidentally" blind yourself you aren't using your light correctly. We buy our own lights, but are issued an allowance so I guess they are technically paid for by the PD. We can carry whatever we want with the majority carrying maglite size/type lights. I use a SL-20L which is 500, a x300u which is 500 and a P3X which is 1k. Never had a blinding issue with any of them.
          You will when you inadvertently flash your light across a mirror in the room that you don't know is there.

Comment

If you "accidentally" blind yourself you aren't using your light correctly.
            ...and you never make mistakes. Good for you.

Being human, I eventually will.

I don't carry a Glock because you have to pull the trigger to disassemble it. Eventually I would screw that up.

I carry a spare key for my g-ride because I'll eventually lock myself out. Again.

I carry a 1100 lumen light for outside, and a 300 lumen light for inside... because I'll eventually blind myself or someone else in a building search or something if all I have is the 1100 lumen light.

You don't have to worry about stuff like that, but us mere mortals do.

You will when you inadvertently flash your light across a mirror in the room that you don't know is there.
            Nah. SCSU uses ESP to find all that stuff.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 12-28-2016, 05:20 PM.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Personally, I've found searching truck trailers, cargo containers and train cars can be a pain with a flashlight that's too bright.
              Also, my coworkers will inevitably flag me across the eyes at some point with their flashlights. I'd rather take an eyebath of 300 lumens than be temporarily blinded by somebody's mini-sun.

Comment

Originally posted by DeaconSteve View Post

see previous comment. haven't come across any mirrors on the floor yet..
                In Valor there is hope

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU74 View Post

see previous comment. haven't come across any mirrors on the floor yet..
                  me either

Comment

Originally posted by JPA261 View Post

Firecop, how are you liking that Fenix PD35? Thinking about getting the Tac edition, but nervous it might not hold up for patrol.
                    I'm liking it. I also have a Nitecore P12 and a Fenix RC11 which is the brightest of all three.

Comment

I carry a Stresmlight Strion LED HL on my belt, a Stresmlight Stylus in my pocket, have my old halogen Strion on a charger in the car, a LED Ultrastinger in the car, and recently bought a 5.11 EDC. You can never have too many lights, and you'd be surprised how many firefighters and EMTs don't carry a light with them.
                      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8242 users online. 452 members and 7790 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X