300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashlight

Hey my department has been considering switching its flashlight policy. They currently issue the streamlight stinger led. I personally carry a streamlight scorpion as a backup flashlight. The new policy they are considering is to have the officers purchase their own lights. Heres my question, alot of the newer lights I am seeing have extremely lumens some close to 700 plus. What are those kinds of lights best for. I'm thinking searches in woods and large swathes. Would an officer just be better off with the flashlights that are in the 300-400 range.

You can never have to many lumens.
    Making the streets safer, one donut at a time

Comment

Before retirement I carried an Elektrolumens EDC-MCE, rated at 700-900 lumens. I rarely found it to be too much light. Indoors, I could bounce the beam off the ceiling and light up an entire room. Outdoors, it's like a car headlight.

The current model, the EDC-XML-R, is rated at 1,000 lumens. It can be ordered with adjustable power levels if you're worried about starting fires.

These lights are built in a one-man shop in Oregon, not offshore. They're heavy-duty and cop-proof.
      Last edited by Seventy2002; 08-26-2016, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
        You can never have to many lumens.
        Until you accidentally blind yourself in a building search.

I have a Surefire G2X (320 lumens) as my dayshift/indoor/ backup light and a Streamlight Ultrastinger (1,100 lumens) as my nightshift/ outdoor light. I also run a Surefire P2X (1000 lumens) on my rifle.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-26-2016, 06:17 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Ok i understand, i know it makes a difference in flashlight selection. I'm a city police officer who does occasionally have to search vacant lots, woods and the like. I am thinking along the lines of keeping the scorpion as a backup light at night and a daytime light when I don't need such large search areas. What would you guys recommend as a night time light where you would have to have something that shines a little brighter and farther. I would rather not spend more than about 100-150. I'll spend more but only if its a light that can't be beat. My department policy won't let me use anything terribly large like the old maglites because they are afraid they'll be used as a weapon.

Comment

they are afraid they'll be used as a weapon.
            Damn right it will be.

If you work for a department that won't do what you need to do to survive, work somewhere else.

You can't spend a paycheck if you're dead.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
              Damn right it will be.

If you work for a department that won't do what you need to do to survive, work somewhere else.

With hillary, you won't be able to spend a paycheck, period.
              I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Damn right it will be.

The rule for you all to buy your own flashlight is ridiculous. What if you came to work with one of these???

Comment

My department is looking at ways to cut expenses to try and improve the pay. Right now we are a training ground department where we'll hire about 20 to 30 officers a year out of a slotted 110 officers. They'll stay for a year or so and transfer out. In order to solve this the department is trying to raise pay. I understand it's ridiculous to buy your own flashlight but there will be standards just like your boots and weapons. My captain has told me that he doesn't like that either but it's that or making us purchase our weapons. If the brass can't come up with something then the department will keep losing officers like crazy.

Comment

Until you accidentally blind yourself in a building search.
                    You shouldnt shine the light in your face. A flashlight is designed to be shined away from you, not towards you.

Comment

Originally posted by DeaconSteve View Post
                      The rule for you all to buy your own flashlight is ridiculous. What if you came to work with one of these???

Whats the problem with that light?

Comment

You might try a light with adjustable lumens. PowerTac offers lights with a switch on the side that is unobtrusive and is unlikely to switch settings unless you do so intentionally. The price is within your budget as well.
                        John from Maryland

Comment

I use a cheap, Chinese knock off I got from Amazon (about $10), had it about 3 years. Tried a few other cheap alternatives. All work great and have held up great.
                          Stinger, Eagltac, etc...you're just giving your money away.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
                            Whats the problem with that light?
                            Actually, I think it is an exceptional light. It is well balanced. It provides a very intimidating roar when the mouth is opened. This feature could be useful when conducting a building search should there be a person hiding inside. The number one drawback is that it may be too big to fit in an officer's back pocket when not in use.

Comment

Flashlight

Take a look at Candle Power Forums, if you want to learn more about flashlights. However, some of my fellow CPF Forum members are a bit fanatical about lights, so prepare yourself. Do some searching there because it is not unusual for a copper to post there about what he/she is looking for and they often get many replies.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9450 users online. 520 members and 8930 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X