300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deaf man killed by N.Chris. Troopers

No don't take this post the wrong way. Just bring awareness and seeking what others think. Im.not questioning the stop or shooting because the investigation is on going. I'm questioning should there be a need for a medical warning when a license plate or drivers license us ran. I.E. someone is diabetic, deaf (as in this case) any other type of medical issues?

The short jest is trooper try and do a traffic stop. Driver "flees" stops car and runs towards troopers. He dies on scene. I think if a warning as stated above was in place possible different outcome. I notice when I run am out of California plate the info given is great. Make, model, year, number of doors and color of vehicle. CA you get on year, make, type that's it.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/us/nor...lice-shooting/
    I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
    No don't take this post the wrong way. Just bring awareness and seeking what others think. Im.not questioning the stop or shooting because the investigation is on going. I'm questioning should there be a need for a medical warning when a license plate or drivers license us ran. I.E. someone is diabetic, deaf (as in this case) any other type of medical issues?

The short jest is trooper try and do a traffic stop. Driver "flees" stops car and runs towards troopers. He dies on scene. I think if a warning as stated above was in place possible different outcome. I notice when I run am out of California plate the info given is great. Make, model, year, number of doors and color of vehicle. CA you get on year, make, type that's it.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/us/nor...lice-shooting/
    Where would it stop? Warning: I have TB, HIV, Clamydia, etc? Whether it be a disability or a disease, does not render a person not a threat. If there are HIPAA laws, warnings being made available on registration or driver's license information databases wouldn't fly either.

The bottom line is that blue lights can definitely be seen now with strobe LED technology. Anyone who is driving (and is not blind and/or deaf) knows what the blue lights and siren mean. Pull over and comply. If he had done that, it would have had a different outcome.

There is a lot of attention being brought on "training" officers in dealing with the deaf over this incident. So I guess there could be mandated training on basic signing. But, in the end, I think the Trooper is going to be cleared on this.
    Last edited by DeaconSteve; 08-24-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I have stopped deaf people before. They have never led me on a pursuit then jumped out of their car and charged me.....

Comment

.double post
        Last edited by SHU; 08-24-2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

In this guys case it would have not made any difference. If someone FTY and then later gets out of a car and runs towards an officer, they are going to be dealt with. I don't care what kind of condition is associated with the RO of the vehicle. Criminals often drive other peoples cars or cars with a release of liability so the medical warning would be irrelevant in an encounter on the street.
          Last edited by SHU; 08-24-2016, 03:52 PM.

Comment

^^^^^This^^^^
            It all boils down to, don't run from the police, pumping the officers Adrenalin to dangerous levels.
            Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
            In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
            Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
            Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

There are classes now mandated here on dealing with deaf drivers. I dont think theres any part of it where they do what he did tho. Stupidity is its own diability

Comment

Grant it it won't help or save everyone. And yes folks borrow cars and theirs steal what ever cat they wont. Point or thought I was trying to make is that would such a system be useful. Take into. Consideration you see a vehicle lane straddling, going a little slower than normal. You make a stop and you smell a sweet alcohol order coming from the breath of the driver. Driver looks completely drunk. You do as much as the dui process as you can. Driver is unable to do all test. Can't get blood for whatever reason. Driver arrested for DUI. You go to court only to find out driver ws diabetic and suffered from a diabetic episode. Now if said vehicle had a medical caution of "diabetic" that might have changed things.

We all look at the negative side of things, but what if we look at what could come. The more knowledge we have prior to the stop the better. Do we not ask on a domestic or suicide call are there weapons, past history of calls to the location etc?

It will not be fool proof but could save a life.
                I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

I dont know anyone who is deaf, but I have encountered deaf people in normal life and at work. If I pull over a deaf person Im confident that I would realize they were deaf once they started talking and doing sign's. being deaf is not a mental retardation, a normal thinking person knows to pull over for the police, not run and to not get out of the car and charge at them. And not being able to hear commands is one thing, but everyone knows the universal language of a gun being pointed at them.

This guy had several incidents over several years of resisting arrest. Im thinking he had a problem with police and his pattern proves it.

Is there any special instructions or training that deaf people are given when they go through drivers training? I could see the problems with a deaf person being granted a license and driving such as not hearing a horn of a car or the siren of an emergency vehicle or an oncoming train maybe.
                  "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

You can't legislate stupidity.

Comment

We are taught (in the academy) that the deaf person points to their ear & shakes there head, that is the sign that the person is deaf.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                        We are taught (in the academy) that the deaf person points to their ear & shakes there head, that is the sign that the person is deaf.
                        Wow That's some real high speed training you guys are getting....

Comment

Originally posted by hpclayto View Post
                          You can't legislate stupidity.
                          Wish I could like this 20 times

Comment

Originally posted by lpstopper View Post
                            I dont know anyone who is deaf, but I have encountered deaf people in normal life and at work. If I pull over a deaf person Im confident that I would realize they were deaf once they started talking and doing sign's. being deaf is not a mental retardation, a normal thinking person knows to pull over for the police, not run and to not get out of the car and charge at them. And not being able to hear commands is one thing, but everyone knows the universal language of a gun being pointed at them.

This guy had several incidents over several years of resisting arrest. Im thinking he had a problem with police and his pattern proves it.

Is there any special instructions or training that deaf people are given when they go through drivers training? I could see the problems with a deaf person being granted a license and driving such as not hearing a horn of a car or the siren of an emergency vehicle or an oncoming train maybe.
                            On that note, you aren't allowed to drive with earphones in (I know people do) because it blocks your ability to hear traffic and emergency vehicles......why in the hell are we giving licenses to deaf people that have the same problem (inability to hear traffic and emergency vehicles)?

This isn't an officer training issue.....this is a stupid human trick issue where, once again, it is everybody elses fault except for the guy that ran, then charged the cops.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4997 users online. 326 members and 4671 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X