Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.
    Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.
    Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?
    BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.
    Thanks!
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2015, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $400 to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
      What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.
      Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.
      Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?
      BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.
      Thanks!
      Walk backwards.

Also, they make special boots that let you walk on walls. Try those, to throw off the snipers.
      "Well I'd lock him up for what we know he did, and then throw in a few extra years for what he probably did." ~Hank Hill

"Why do you need to carry a gun? There aren't any bad people in this town..."

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
        I got an email from a local store that has a good deal going on for a level III rifle plate package. I am considering getting it but am wondering if i should just save up for a level IV vest.

This will be for patrol use and only brought out for an active shooter situation.

So do you think LEVEL III is good enough?

I just ordered these:

http://www.rmadefense.com/shop.asp

Level IV Hard Armor Plate

World's Strongest Plate!
        10"x12"
        Single-Curve
        6.9 lbs
        Ceramic/Polyethylene Composite
        NIJ 0101.06 Certified
        Delivery: Allow 4 - 6 weeks
        More Information
        Price: $350.00 Sale $204.99

Comment

I wouldn't waste your time (or money) on Level III plates. You're gambling that the guy shooting at you hopefully limits himself to .223/5.56 and then your are hoping that even THAT doesn't penetrate the plate. Buy Level IV plates.
          I bought these: http://www.atlantictactical.com/prod...s#.V7yqhfkrLRY
          Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

You need to think about the purpose of what you are buying and what you are most likely to encounter if it is deployed under duress and the result is right in front of you.

A hard plate is for rifle threats.

The most commonly purchased, available, familiar, and deployed rifle will be of an AR style.

The most obtainable and reasonably priced ammunition is mil-surp. Level 3 and even 3+ is NOT going to stop the most likely threat at Police combat distances and the backface deformation observed in the youtube videos in unacceptable if you want to live.

Iif you are spending the $ get something that will serve you best and in all senarios. A few years ago I would have said level 3 + was a great idea. I think after the last few years as a guide it is simply not going to cut it. Get something that is rated Level 4 and multi hit rated on the NIJ certifications test. Several companies I looked into claimed both but an inspection of the actual cert revealed that they were tested for a single round as per the requirement for level 4. The multi hit rating was a non substantiated claim and the back face deformation when hit more than 1 time even if it did stop the round breaking through was lethal to the wearer.

In brief:

reputable level 4 or bust gentlemen.

I defy anyone to find a level 4 that is multi hit rated and TESTED at under 5 pounds. I am not talking a youtube test where the ammunition, rifle, and distance is not even listed either. I was really surprised at the amount of disinformation and outright BS being claimed by some of these companies with light weight wonder plates. The science is just not there yet, you are going to have to carry 12 to 16 pounds of additional weight the defeat the m855 and xm193 at close distances which is exactly what we need to be concerned with.

Comment

Depends if you get shot with a 30-06.. If yes, then no level III is not good enough. I work in an area with lots of deer hunter, I'm not taking willing to gamble that they might not have something that will zip right through my armor. I also wear level III-A with a trauma plate and many officers at my agency wear II because it's lighter. So ya...
              In Valor there is hope

Comment

Better safe than sorry, pay more and get level IV

Comment

It blows my mind that your dept doesn't provide this. Yes, I know some departments out there don't even buy basic vests for their officers, but still. I consider even rifle armor to be day 1 "basic issued equipment." Apparently they spoil us.
                  Last edited by DepTroop; 11-24-2016, 08:26 AM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9544 users online. 492 members and 9052 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X