300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Level III vs IV rifle plates.

I got an email from a local store that has a good deal going on for a level III rifle plate package. I am considering getting it but am wondering if i should just save up for a level IV vest.

This will be for patrol use and only brought out for an active shooter situation.

So do you think LEVEL III is good enough?

How good a shape are you in?
    How cheap are you?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I could be in better shape and i am more on the cheap side.

Comment

Then buy LIII and see what happens...

Comment

Well im trying to buy once and be done with it.

The weight of the vest shouldn't bother me. And as far as money goes, i am willing to spend some cash on this. Im just not looking to spend a grand

Comment

There is already a pretty good thread in the equipment section.
            I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Would at least go III+

Comment

Cops are cheap when they buy stuff. So it's ALL on you.

Comment

Of course extra protection is always great but I'm curious to see the reports for the recent LODD and injuries regarding gunfire.. did the shots penetrate the vest or did they hit the area vests didn't cover?

Seems the gun shots of the officer not making it aren't about the vest not doing its job but more of the bullet hitting below the vest, under the arms, or face/neck shots

Comment

So do you think LEVEL III is good enough?
                    No, Level 3 won't stop the 5.56x45mm M193 round at CQB distances, which is probably the most common surplus AR round out there:

Get at least Level 3+

I'm going to be testing some non-NIJ certified poly plates that the manufacturer claims are Level 3+. Since they aren't certified they are cheap: $170 per plate vs the $400+ for most poly plates... and they are light. If it passes my test I'll be ordering some for my plate carrier.

Right now I run this Level IV setup:

http://www.officersurvivalsolutions....or-detail.html
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                      No, Level 3 won't stop the 5.56x45mm M193 round at CQB distances, which is probably the most common surplus AR round out there:

Get at least Level 3+

I'm going to be testing some non-NIJ certified poly plates that the manufacturer claims are Level 3+. Since they aren't certified they are cheap: $170 per plate vs the $400+ for most poly plates... and they are light. If it passes my test I'll be ordering some for my plate carrier.

Right now I run this Level IV setup:

http://www.officersurvivalsolutions....or-detail.html
                      Thats not a bad rig and its a pretty good price. Thanks for the link!

Comment

Originally posted by jannino View Post
                        Of course extra protection is always great but I'm curious to see the reports for the recent LODD and injuries regarding gunfire.. did the shots penetrate the vest or did they hit the area vests didn't cover?

Seems the gun shots of the officer not making it aren't about the vest not doing its job but more of the bullet hitting below the vest, under the arms, or face/neck shots
                        fatal shots to the Dallas officers were body shots penetrating the body armor, soft body armor won't stop rifle rounds. Dart Officer had body shots and head shot.

Comment

My test results of a Level 3 steel and alleged Level 3+ poly plate here:

http://forums.officer.com/t206483/
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

I purchased Level IV plates for my Banshee rifle carrier from AR500. I recently wore my rifle plates over my Level IIIa soft body armor for about 4-5 hours while searching a cornfield for possible armed offenders. That night after taking the vest off, my back, neck, etc. ached really bad. It was heavy, but I didn't notice it too much after about the first 5-10 minutes wearing it. I especially didn't notice it when I was trudging through a cornfield with my rifle. Do what you need to do to be fully protected, in these times more than ever.

My department issues a crappy Level II soft body armor. I purchased my Level IIIa vest and the Level IV plates. I'm not going to wait on my department to supply me with the equipment I feel is necessary to make sure I win the fight.

Comment

I have to buy my own plates and armor because the one my agency issued me is too big. I am getting Level II soft armor and Level III trauma plates
                              USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                              "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13254 users online. 484 members and 12770 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X