300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrying in Chicago

Will I run into any trouble carrying in Chicago? Heard from a fellow area LEO that they will hook another cop and make you sit in cook county jail until they verify status if they catch you carrying, is there any truth to this?

I'm visiting Chicago soon with family and always carry, but hearing this makes me a little nervous. I'm also visiting Wrigley Field while I'm there. Will I run into any issues in the city or at Wrigley? I am good under LEOSA; would love to hear from some CPD guys on this or anybody who has visited Chicago.

*EDIT: Checked the Wrigley Field website and it says LE just has to register and possibly check weapons. I'm not worried about legal repercussions, more so the hassle of being turned around or refused entry. If they have a place to secure it, I'm good with that.
    Last edited by DepTroop; 06-23-2016, 12:34 PM.

Originally posted by DepTroop View Post
    Heard from a fellow area LEO that they will hook another cop and make you sit in cook county jail until they verify status if they catch you carrying, is there any truth to this?
    This is total BS and if the guy that told you that really is a cop, he may have hit his head on something. I've been carrying there for years (way before LEOSA) and the ladies and gentlemen of CPD have way too many bad guys to worry about.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Been to Chicago before/after LEOSA kicked in due to family on the job there....

Never, ever, ever had an issue with CPD. They are a great bunch of folks and will treat you well.....

Comment

Frack that. Carry your creds, and I can't see you having issue. If Wrigley won't let you carry, then I'd tell tem you don't get my bidness.

Even visiting Denver's Coor's Field and Pepsi Center, after Colorado's little anti-magazine temper tantrum, I had no issues.
        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Went to Chicago a few years back and carried everywhere I went, even to the Sears Tower. When we realized they had a metal detector for everyone to pass through, I approached an officer and whispered that two of us were out of state officers and had firearms with us. His response was to jerk us out of line, scrutinize our identification cards, (making us bypass other folks waiting) and forced us into the elevator with a hearty slap on the back.

You are pretty much treated like kinfolk.
          If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Originally posted by delzo70 View Post
            Went to Chicago a few years back and carried everywhere I went, even to the Sears Tower. When we realized they had a metal detector for everyone to pass through, I approached an officer and whispered that two of us were out of state officers and had firearms with us. His response was to jerk us out of line, scrutinize our identification cards, (making us bypass other folks waiting) and forced us into the elevator with a hearty slap on the back.

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Comment

As a LEO am I allowed to carry in the museums in Chicago? I'm looking to take a family trip there and I'm sure they are posted but being a government building am I ok as an out of state LEO?

Comment

Yes, you are. My only concern was being hassled over it in a liberal city like Chicago, but as you can see from the previous posts, you'll be fine. And I believe museums are public properties anyway (?) I don't believe they can tell you not to even if they became aware.

Comment

It may be a liberal city...but the cops are old school. I'm a local LEO that has NEVER had an issue in the city.
                  F.O.G. Holsters - The Last Holster You'll Ever Need

Comment

I have carried in Chicago on my Creds. I had the same experience at the Sears Tower, security had no issue. In fact this was the only place I went that even had medal detectors. I carried in all the museums with no problem what so ever, no one even battered an eye. Concealed means concealed...

The cops in Chicago are good people, and will treat you good if you run in to them.

Enjoy your trip
                    ----
                    West Side is the best side or something like that

Comment

Honestly, if a cop here found out you were a LEO and NOT carrying, you'd probably get more gruff than if you were...

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSheepdog54 View Post
                        Honestly, if a cop here found out you were a LEO and NOT carrying, you'd probably get more gruff than if you were...
                        Pretty much the same in Texas.
                        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishSheepdog54 View Post
                          Exactly. Sort of like the time I stopped an out of state vehicle on a traffic violation and found out it was an officer and his family from waaay up north. He said he was glad we happened to meet because he needed directions on how to get to a certain mall where he was supposed to meet someone. Seeing that it was located in a less than desirable part of town, I asked him if he was carrying. He said he was NOT because they had to pass through so many states with different laws, and he could not keep track of all of them.

When I offered to loan him a weapon I had in my saddlebag...... and meet him the next day to retrieve it, he was genuinely surprised and admitted he had a pistol hidden under the spare tire. Yes, I chewed on him a bit for being an experienced law enforcement officer and leaving his family unprotected. We both had a laugh and since I didn't read about him in the news, I suppose his visit went well!
                          If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Exactly. Sort of like the time I stopped an out of state vehicle on a traffic violation and found out it was an officer and his family from waaay up north. He said he was glad we happened to meet because he needed directions on how to get to a certain mall where he was supposed to meet someone. Seeing that it was located in a less than desirable part of town, I asked him if he was carrying. He said he was NOT because they had to pass through so many states with different laws, and he could not keep track of all of them.

When I offered to loan him a weapon I had in my saddlebag...... and meet him the next day to retrieve it, he was genuinely surprised and admitted he had a pistol hidden under the spare tire. Yes, I chewed on him a bit for being an experienced law enforcement officer and leaving his family unprotected. We both had a laugh and since I didn't read about him in the news, I suppose his visit went well!
                            I always hear wonderful things about being an LEO in Texas. If only it weren't so dang hot. I have known other officers who have offered loaner guns to out of state LEO's. What a wonderful thing.

Comment

an officer and his family from waaay up north.
                              Delzo, when you live in South Texas, where's way up north? Oklahoma?
                              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9768 users online. 522 members and 9246 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X