Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Job search: Importance of current employment?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job search: Importance of current employment?

So I'm looking to move on to a new department. My situation isn't nearly the norm so I'll lay it out briefly.

My current employment isn't critical to the family finances. In fact, my current pay is so poor I might actually save money if I quit. My wife makes in a month, literally, what I make in a year. I'm retired military so healthcare is covered, etc, etc...

I'm doing the cop gig to stay busy. I retired in 2006 before I was 40. I'd like to earn at least another small retirement... which my current department doesn't offer.

Where I live, and the locations of other possible departments... and my current schedule... make it impossible to test or interview with another department without spending PTO.

So.

Those of you who have been involved in hiring, how poorly would it be viewed if I simply resigned to make it easier to look for a new job?

Let me know what you think.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

For some reason I've always found applicants who are currently employed as officers more desirable that ones who "used to be" and are now unemployed. In this case it suggests risk taking that would make me wary.

Irrespective of whether you burn your PTO to take an interview or get paid for in it lump sum when you quit and then go take interviews, it all evens out in the wash.

I'm just talking about a gut feeling here, but when you have to choose between equally qualified candidates, sometimes a gut feeling becomes the deciding factor.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      For some reason I've always found applicants who are currently employed as officers more desirable that ones who "used to be" and are now unemployed. In this case it suggests risk taking that would make me wary.

Irrespective of whether you burn your PTO to take an interview or get paid for in it lump sum when you quit and then go take interviews, it all evens out in the wash.

I'm just talking about a gut feeling here, but when you have to choose between equally qualified candidates, sometimes a gut feeling becomes the deciding factor.
      I kind of echo this........................I would rather hire someone who is employed that someone who his not. It just makes me comfortable knowing the person is actively working.

HOWEVER...........................during an interview you can probably articulate the reasoning as to why you resigned your current job. THAT would be very important to anyone looking to hire you.

Like L-1 stated gut feelings are used in the hiring process much more often than the candidates understand. More times than not that feeling has worked out for me. Except for a couple
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Also, keep in mind that you don't know how long it will take you to get hired by another department. I'm not sure if Colorado is like Texas, but here you have so many days to get your commission picked up or else you have to retake your psych and physical.
        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

So your pay sucks, and you have no retirement plan? Brother, get out of their as fast as you can! If you quit, who knows if they will give you a good reference? You might be seen as a disgruntled employee, not a guy looking for a better opportunity. Hell, some bosses will spite you because they didn't get that opportunity! I would burn my time off looking for a new job before I quit. Thats just me.
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I'll just say I'm always a bit jaded about former cops who didn't retire. There's just too many people who resign before they get fired, and departments encourage it because it's easier for everyone involved. That's not just in LE, that's the work place in general. Quit, we'll give you a good reference and won't fight your unemployment. Fight it...well, you're rolling the dice.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
              I'll just say I'm always a bit jaded about former cops who didn't retire. There's just too many people who resign before they get fired, and departments encourage it because it's easier for everyone involved.
              I have seen so many people who just didn't' fit-------------didn't like it and got out.......so that doesn't really bother me that much.

LE isn't for everyone and many people get into the profession and find out quickly it isn't for them...

I have also seen a lot of people who were miserable with one agency and excelled
              at another
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                I have seen so many people who just didn't' fit-------------didn't like it and got out.......so that doesn't really bother me that much.

LE isn't for everyone and many people get into the profession and find out quickly it isn't for them...

I have also seen a lot of people who were miserable with one agency and excelled
                at another
                I get it. I've known several folks who left...but with VERY few exceptions they stayed "left" and weren't trying to get on another dept immediately after leaving their current one. I'm not saying everyone who leaves without a pension is a poo brick, but that it's a concern that must be overcome that you may, in fact, be a poo brick.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

you may, in fact, be a poo brick.
                  Well, I actually am a poo brick...

Seriously, while I do have issues with the department in general and the patrol division in particular I actually fit in well with the personality and mindset of the jail division.

The new departments I'm looking at would probably be in another state. My wife's job is probably transferring her for a promotion. That's one reason I think resigning might not be looked on poorly, I know I'm moving regardless.

I've put in one app already and will do another before the weekend ends.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

[QUOTE=tanksoldier;3850887. My wife's job is probably transferring her for a promotion. That's one reason I think resigning might not be looked on poorly, I know I'm moving regardless. .[/QUOTE]

That changes the answer to the question.........................

Comment

I'd keep working and applying elsewhere. I just hate to burn bridges and you don't always know what may or may not happen.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4062 users online. 194 members and 3868 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X