Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying "real" clothes was one of the culture shock moments for me when I went to investigations. I'd worked uniform assignments for 14 years before diving into investigations. After 14 years of wearing a uniform more often than not, you're closet gets pretty limited. I had like 3 non t-shirt outfits. Now, 8 years later, my wife complains that I have more clothes than her.

When I made the switch, I really wasn't sure that I wanted to but I got talked into it by a senior deputy that I highly respected. I'm glad he did. It's a different kind of work that's not for everyone, but I really found a nice a nitch here. For me, investigations feels like "real" police work. You get to stop dealing with BS calls and focus on legit crimes. However, unlike patrol, there's always work to be done and things hang over your head constantly.

Congrats on the new gig.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
      Buying "real" clothes was one of the culture shock moments for me when I went to investigations. I'd worked uniform assignments for 14 years before diving into investigations. After 14 years of wearing a uniform more often than not, you're closet gets pretty limited. I had like 3 non t-shirt outfits. Now, 8 years later, my wife complains that I have more clothes than her.

When I made the switch, I really wasn't sure that I wanted to but I got talked into it by a senior deputy that I highly respected. I'm glad he did. It's a different kind of work that's not for everyone, but I really found a nice a nitch here. For me, investigations feels like "real" police work. You get to stop dealing with BS calls and focus on legit crimes. However, unlike patrol, there's always work to be done and things hang over your head constantly.

Congrats on the new gig.

Culture shock is one way to put it. I took a look at my credit card statement this morning, and almost choked on my coffee! Oh well. I've talked to a bunch of guys and it just seems to go with the territory. I hit a bunch of sales and got some stuff for Christmas too, with softened the blow. But Im still on the hook for about 2 grand. I could've done it for less, but I don't want to be the guy in the office with 1 suit and 5 ties on a Monday-Friday rotation. I have been in uniform for 14 years also, and I had nothing! At least I hit the OT hard recently and will just write the check

Ohhhhh, the wife is already complaining that I've taken over the closet in our bedroom. She's really going to love it when I clear out my locker at the station and bring all that junk home. At least I will have my own car now. That's going to collect a ton of stuff I'm sure.

Hopefully my station assignment comes out soon.... I have a good idea, but I want see it in writing. I'm getting excited.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I definitely have more clothes than my wife (but less shoes). I have my very casual off duty clothes, business casual, and a ton of suits, dress shirts, and ties (uniforms are long gone). I rarely wear suits now, but what am I going to do with perfectly good suits? Oh well.

Comment

I made the right move. Definitely a good gig.

Comment

Getting back to suits - don't you have a wholesale garment district near you? Los Angeles has a huge garment district filled with clothing manufactures, cloth vendors, and wholesale clothing shops who sell everything from polo shorts to underwear to suits. There are a couple of suit shops that the guys from LAPD Detective Headquarters Division practically live in. You walk in, but a decent suit for anywhere from $100 to $200 and walk it across the street to a tailor shop and have it fitted for $20.

For those of you in LA, look up Al Weiss Men's Clothing on Wall Street. Yelp gives them a 5 Star rating.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              Getting back to suits - don't you have a wholesale garment district near you?
              Yea, we do. But I am not much of a shopper. I hate sitting in traffic, and hate riding trains even more. I got measured, bought online, found an old Italian tailor and was done.

Comment

So...you're a SUIT now!

Well done!
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8239 users online. 451 members and 7788 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X