300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DepTroop View Post
    I'd rather have the quality of life, plus I have the special assignments I've wanted on patrol. Why take a smallish pay raise for a butt load more work?
    I've been thinking about it for a while. The quality of life and opportunities seem better on the investigations side of the house, for the most part.

In patrol here we work rotating 12 hour shifts. No set shift, no seniority bid. I will work Monday and Tuesday nights, and then go into Friday-Sunday days. Sleep my first day off away (Wednesday) and hopefully (or not) pick up an OT shift on my "day off" Thursday. Add in court time. Cycle flips every other week. Repeat.

Add in riding with a recruit, working mandatory OT with someone else's recruit on your days off.. Now they're talking about 7 days straight in NYC on trains again because of terrorism ...

Im not complaining. I made good money doing it. Cleared $130k last year. But it gets old not seeing the kids.

Our investigators work better hours, yea they are on call, but if you go to a big station it gets spread out. Yea when the SHTF they might be at work until they figure it out, but by and large they work a good schedule. I have a good feeling about where I am going, and In a 7 man office, you take a C line and call outs one out of 7 shifts, and weekends every 7th week. Thats not bad.

Plus I get a car, and my drive will go from 70 miles round trip to 10. And will make what I make now killing OT, without having too.

I still like patrol and the excitement. But Im ready for a change.
    Last edited by reils49; 12-24-2016, 10:03 AM.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
      I spent two years as a detective and found it boring. Out of my 33 year career, my most enjoyable time was when I was a sergeant working uniform patrol.
      I see what our Sergeant's do and I would eat my gun.

"Sarge, Im calling in sick again."; "Sarge, he called me a name and I want to file a complaint "; "Sarge I had this problem... That problem"; "sarge, sarge, sarge......."; "Im calling the union "

"Mrs. Smith I assure you the trooper made a lawful arrest, however it is not our policy to drop the F bomb..."

"Yes, Liutenant I know that so and so has not made an arrest since March, yet leads the station in overtime."

"No, Captain, I have not looked at the low ticket numbers this month".

No effing way. .....
      Last edited by reils49; 12-24-2016, 10:01 PM.

Comment

It will open doors to units unavailable to patrol.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
          It will open doors to units unavailable to patrol.
          Depends on the agency. But since you're in NY, I'm guessing you know all about the NYSP. The way Reils describes it sounds like a sweet gig. Congrats Reils!

Comment

Thanks guys. I am definitely looking forward to it. And it definitely opens doors that would otherwise be unavailable to someone in uniform. Who knows...

Im not looking forward to buying clothes though. Maybe GoldBadge can hook me some cheap suits?

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
              Im not looking forward to buying clothes though. Maybe GoldBadge can hook me some cheap suits?
              http://www.karakosuits.com/special-sales

Comment

Thanks guys. I am definitely looking forward to it. And it definitely opens doors that would otherwise be unavailable to someone in uniform. Who knows...

Don't know about NY, but all our investigators wear 5.11 pants in different colors and polo shirts with the PD embroidered badge. Suits are only used for court.
                BTW congratulations.
                Last edited by bpd303; 12-25-2016, 02:15 PM.
                Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by bpd303 View Post

Don't know about NY, but all our investigators wear 5.11 pants in different colors and polo shirts with the PD embroidered badge. Suits are only used for court.
                  BTW congratulations.
                  Not here. And they are big on that kind of thing. I'm not even promoted yet, and I already got the talk about it. It's basically the same as being in uniform, only you are not actually in a uniform.
                  Last edited by reils49; 12-25-2016, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Also, never buy suits full price. Keep a watch for Joseph A. Banks, "buy one get two free." The first suit is overpriced at about $600+, but when you get two free, $200 a suit is pretty darned good.

Comment

How many suits do you need to have a decent rotation? 3-4? I have been told for the first few weeks wear a suit every day, after that you can relax to conservative business dress/ sport coat.

Comment

Three is enough, four is better. Be sure you get one solid navy suit and one dark grey one. The other two color choices are up to you, but keep them conservative. Skip a black suit. You will probably never have a need for one and they look too funeralish. .

When you get to sport coat and slacks, a navy blazer will be your best friend. You can wear it with almost any color pants. JC Penney actually has good blazers at good prices, and their Stafford brand dress shirts are well made and priced for cops.

Cop Dress 101.

One other thing, when you size your suit coat, consider all the stuff you'll need to carry underneath it. I upped from a 44 to a 46 (some go up another notch).
                        Last edited by GoldBadge; 12-26-2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

One thing, actually 2 things, I did splurge on is my belt. One brown, one black. I am not spending my shift with droopy drawers. And I will still carry a full size Glock.

If anyone else needs a nice looking belt, designed for carrying, I would highly recommend Urban Carry.

Comment

Yep, a good sturdy belt is a must. I've got Blackhawk and 5.11 dress belts. Both work great.

Comment

How many suits do you need to have a decent rotation? 3-4? I have been told for the first few weeks wear a suit every day, after that you can relax to conservative business dress/ sport coat.
                              Ask the guys in the detective squad where they buy their suits because they always know a local guy with reasonable prices. AVOID AT ALL COSTS big name suit stores. They sucker you in with low prices then and cant seem to find a jacket and pants that fit you. Then they hammer you for alterations. The same with a local dry cleaner. They usually run good discounts for the guys who bring them steady business.
                              Last edited by BNWS; 12-27-2016, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Going the investigative route was the best thing I've done on my end , congratulations!
                                Was never a fan of uniformed patrol. Now it's jeans/shorts all year long, no suits, pretty much any day off I want. Was a no brainer.
                                I still get in the bag a few times a year for overtime details. ( cultural prades & protests)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8141 users online. 351 members and 7790 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X