Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officer fired after singing on duty with death metal band.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer fired after singing on duty with death metal band.

What's your take on this?
    Suspension?
    Termination?

Officer fired after singing on duty with death metal band

Associated Press

SANFORD, Fla. – A Florida police officer has been fired after singing a song titled "Let the Killing Begin" with a death metal band — while on duty and in uniform.
    The Orlando Sentinel reports that Sanford Police Officer Andrew Ricks had previously notified the city he would leave his job Friday.

But Police Chief Cecil B. Smith relieved him of his duties Wednesday. Smith says police received video showing Ricks on duty and in uniform while singing "Let the Killing Begin" — a song referencing the crucifixion of Christ — with Vital Remains at a Sanford venue Nov. 13.
    In a statement Thursday, Smith said the incident "erodes the thin fibers of trust" between police and the community.
    Ricks joined the department in 2010. He declined to comment to the newspaper.
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post
    Suspension?
    Termination?

Associated Press

SANFORD, Fla. – A Florida police officer has been fired after singing a song titled "Let the Killing Begin" with a death metal band — while on duty and in uniform.
    The Orlando Sentinel reports that Sanford Police Officer Andrew Ricks had previously notified the city he would leave his job Friday.

But Police Chief Cecil B. Smith relieved him of his duties Wednesday. Smith says police received video showing Ricks on duty and in uniform while singing "Let the Killing Begin" — a song referencing the crucifixion of Christ — with Vital Remains at a Sanford venue Nov. 13.
    In a statement Thursday, Smith said the incident "erodes the thin fibers of trust" between police and the community.
    So the Chief fired an officer who had already given his notice of resignation.

WOW that took intestinal fortitude
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Bet if he was a Muslim, it would have been ok, even touted as a great outreach...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You either want community policing or you don't. Personally, I think the chief is full of B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          So the Chief fired an officer who had already given his notice of resignation.

WOW that took intestinal fortitude
          Yeah, that's the way I'm looking at it; all balls, no brains. In this instance, a resignation would have been much better. If this guy gets the FOP or PBA involved now, his case may have merit.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

I know Cecil Smith, but the Cecil Smith I knew wouldn't do business in that way.

Comment

Reminds me of a case years back in the Midwest where a Sergeant, who was suspected of serious misconduct, resigned. The Chief told the press he was refusing to accept the Sergeant's resignation because he wanted to fire him.

My last Captain was the same way. We had an officer who screwed up badly. He saw the handwriting on the wall, manned up and did the honorable thing by resigning. Rather than consider the matter closed, my Captain moved the officer's locker into his office. When the officer came in to retrieve his personal property, my Captain insisted the officer empty the locker in his presence (with me as a witness). As the officer removed his clothing and belongings, the Captain searched every item and continuously badgered and belittled the officer. Finally the officer said, "I don't have to take this crap anymore" walked out, abandoned his uniforms, personal equipment and belongings and was never seen again. Granted the officer did something worthy of termination, but he also did the right thing by voluntarily resigning and did not deserve to be treated like that.

Why can't some managers learn to be graceful winners?
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I actually read the article as the officer had already resigned prior to his "singing with the band"
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Suspension?
                  Termination?

Associated Press

If "eroding the thin fibers of community trust" who determines what that is? Sounds like this can be whatever the Chief and politicians determine it to be and used only against certain individuals. And if this PD is so great,Chief, why are those trust fibers "thin?" Sounds like you need to go for not doing your job.

Comment

Suspension?
                    Termination?

Associated Press

This Chief sounds like not the brightest bulb in the chandelier. A lot of hullabaloo about the song, but how exactly does a song about the crucifixion of Jesus "erode the thin fibers of trust" in any way? The last time I checked, JC was dead, and has been for a while. Or is he hedging his bets for when JC comes back?

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                    Why can't some managers learn to be graceful winners?
                    Because all too often the ones who become Captain and up are good politicians, which is not automatically synonymous with being a good manager or leader.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
                      I know Cecil Smith, but the Cecil Smith I knew wouldn't do business in that way.
                      So do I, but this guy already resigned. So who cares? Cecil Smith has a tough job with the morons in Sanford. So far, he is doing OK.
                      September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        Bet if he was a Muslim, it would have been ok, even touted as a great outreach...
                        Yep. "Aloha snack bar" aka Allahu Akbar shows your religious tolerance. It's okay to hate infidels like Christians and Jews.
                        They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
                          So do I, but this guy already resigned. So who cares? Cecil Smith has a tough job with the morons in Sanford. So far, he is doing OK.
                          If he didn't resign, you send the cop to sensitivity training and call it a day.
                          They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8874 users online. 182 members and 8692 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X