Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice - Problem Apartment Buildings

Hello all,

I am back asking for some advice.. As some may know from reading my few previous posts, I work for a small town agency of around 1,600 citizens.. It is generally a great little town with great people, with the exception of a few small apartment buildings all located next to each other on 1 block.. These apartments buildings are full of **** bags, hard drugs, welfare leeches, constant 29's, and all the other finer things in life..

I come to you asking for advice/ideas on a potential project I could undertake to try to clean these apartment buildings up, or at least minimize their ****bagness on the surrounding neighborhood..

I am a "project" kind of guy.. I frequently use things like extra patrol in the area during my shifts, but I'm looking for something more "big picture."

Thanks for reading..
    SKOL VIKES

A policeman must be a minister, a social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy, and a gentleman.

Step 1- Do not speak in code on this forum, because police codes vary from region to region. You only did it once (what the heck is a 29???), so I still know what you were trying to say, but eliminate it entirely.

Step 2 - Get rid of that atrocious Vikings avatar. The bible says all Vikings and Packers fans go to hell. Patriots fans go to the bottom level. It's in the bible, seriously.

Step 3 - Now I'm serious. You are always going to have areas that demand more police attention than others. I work in a much larger city than you, and have been assigned to various parts of the city over the years (mostly in the ghetto, though). When I work special projects to clean up a problem, it only works in the short term. Why? Because the turds and ne'erdowells simply move to another part of town and continue on with whatever nonsense they were doing before. Then it becomes one of my friends' problem. Same people, same garbage, different place. You can work a special project (added patrols, drug enforcement, knock-and-talks, bribing the neighborhood kids with slushies for drug info, etc.) but all you're going to do is move the problem to a new location. Your bosses will give you commendations for it, but the sooner you realize you're not actually going to save the world, the better your mental health will be in the long run.
    MAC

Comment

Haha thanks for the reply mac.. I'm right there with you on most of what you said, Packer fans are with out question going to hell..

I would like to say that I'm not looking for a project I can use to cause these turds to have a revelation and turn their lives around, I have dealt with these people enough to I know that will not happen.. I would however be very pleased to be the reason they move a town or 2 over..

Oh and by the way mac, in god's country (Viking's country), a 29 is a warrant...
      SKOL VIKES

A policeman must be a minister, a social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy, and a gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by MNPurpleLaw View Post
        Oh and by the way mac, in god's country (Viking's country), a 29 is a warrant...
        I grew up in Iowa and was a reserve cop there for a few years. In Iowa, a 10-29 is a check for warrants, but a 10-99 means the person is wanted (and the fact I still remember those is a small miracle!).

In any event, the county where I was a reserve was probably similar to the type of place you're policing. If that is the case, you won't need an overtime project to get this done because you're not shagging from call to call all night long. Is that about right? If so, then just get with your colleagues and agree on a plan. I'd suggest doing knock-and-talks. Do lots of them. Like every minute you're not assigned to a call, you're knocking on doors in Turd Town and talking to folks. Figure out who the good ones are (they're in there, I guarantee! You just haven't seen them yet), and spend a lot of time talking with them. Play catch with kids who are outside playing. Make sure EVERYONE knows who you are and that you're there all the time.

Spend a month or two doing this, building up relationships with the good folks and even getting to know the turds. Do NOT ask for any information at the beginning. All you're doing is building relationships. After a while, the good folks will suddenly start telling you everything; don't ask for it. Once they trust you, they'll start volunteering it. If they don't know you, they don't trust you. If you're only in-and-out on a call for service, they don't know you.

This is police work old school style, and the guys who do this are the ones who go on a noise complaint and solve 37 burglaries (yep, had a friend do that once!). It's all because people know and trust them, and people know things.
        MAC

Comment

If prostitution is an issue, there has to be a different approach. To be frank, I have no idea how to combat prostitution. My advice above will net you lots of drug arrests, personal crimes like robbery and assault, and burglary type arrests.
          MAC

Comment

HUD. Section 8. ALL those programs have rules that must be followed. Contact the property owners, planning dept. find out what rules are being broken. Heavy patrol and walk and talk.
            Start there.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I have no idea how to combat prostitution.
              Start with presence. Scare the johns away and business dries up.

A small town with a small problem area, simple presence can do wonders. Start writing parking tickets, increased traffic enforcement, make yourself seen... many of eh problem people will up and move just to avoid the eventual contact. In a small town that will often mean moving to another town. If you're paid by Town A and they move to Town B you've done your job.

On the other hand, warrants and fugitives are kinda my thing now. A place like you describe is a fishing hole. You'll always catch SOMETHING in there.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                HUD. Section 8. ALL those programs have rules that must be followed. Contact the property owners, planning dept. find out what rules are being broken. Heavy patrol and walk and talk.
                Start there.
                10-4

If walk and talks are a problem , code enforcement should go after the owners.

No seriously. If the owners start having problems with their building inspections, etc they will start enforcing the HUD rules (and YESSSSSS they are stringent)

We are a small town about 300 miles West of Chicago--we have a 5 building project that is full of transplants from Chi-Town----all on Section 8 and now that they live in Iowa ---on Title 19

Lots of call volume which gets the officers in to the apartments. They see violations and report them to the rental agency DAILY... The rental agent then either gets them fix it or kicks them out of the building
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.. Very good options.. I honestly haven't tried just knocking on doors there and talking with people.. I dont mean to have you hold my hand through this, but I want to make sure I'm clear on everyone's approach to the knock and talk.. Am I knocking and introducing myself with some small talk sprinkled in or acting like I'm there with a purpose? I suppose it would work out well for me to pick an apt or 2 each day and knock and talk them, that way I can spend a solid amount of time each day in the buildings without making people feel harassed or having my chief on me for spending 8 hours a day on 1 city block..
                  SKOL VIKES

Comment

Here in Phoenix we have officers specifically assigned to work on problem areas. One way to deal with the problem is similar to what someone else mentioned but with a slight twist---- find out what zoning laws are being violated and not just go after the dirtbags but the owners of the property. What this does is put them in the mix or at least on notice and word will travel fast to other property owners--- they'll start being more selective in who they lease to in the interest of not being hammered by zoning violations. This gets rid of the dirtbags from your problem areas but also gives them few choices but to leave (in your case) town as no one will rent to them.
                    This kind of thing takes a bit of time but in extreme cases (and we've had them here) the property actually gets condemned & bulldozed. THAT'LL get property owners attention........

Comment

Code Enforcement
                      Nuisance Abatement
                      Building Official - unsafe structure
                      Fire Marshall - life/safety issues (locks, etc.)
                      Yes..HUD
                      Sustained aggressive law enforcement presence
                      Warrant sweep - resident names?
                      Driver license/DUI checkpoint

invite the elected officials to live there for a month.
                      September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Just walk the property. Good idea to contact the owners first, as it IS private. Find the group of dooshes that are hanging out, walk up, stand next to them, chit chat, make THEM want to leave. If you get a call, return and do it again. They will leave after awhile. Keep doing it. Then on to the next.

Again: Private property. Get permission.

I like to start all my contacts with a discussion of the nice puffy clouds in the sky...
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by MNPurpleLaw View Post
                          Haha thanks for the reply mac.. I'm right there with you on most of what you said, Packer fans are with out question going to hell..

I would like to say that I'm not looking for a project I can use to cause these turds to have a revelation and turn their lives around, I have dealt with these people enough to I know that will not happen.. I would however be very pleased to be the reason they move a town or 2 over..

Job security. Pay attention to that area during the time police direct traffic as schools. This was the time dealers moved in my area.They knew we were busy. Set up snitches and be patient. The user is not important unless he gives you the dealer.

When that area starts to cramp your style push back by writing everything. I mean everything, even spitting on the sidewalk or J-walking. You search everyone of those jerkoffs. Pay particular attention to tatts and any paperwork you find. Look around at who is watching. Set up profiles and add acquaintances. Know who runs each block and who works for him. You build this profile with a well written report complete with names and addresses and turn it over to your supervisor.

Comment

In retirement I own a Section 8 building. The city's housing department (which administers Section 8) has an arrangement with the PD whereby the address of every Section 8 recipient in the city is input into their CAD system. Every time a police report is generated from a Section 8 address, a copy is provided to Section 8 under the state's Public Records Act.

Section 8 reviews the report and if it is determined that a violation of their program rules has occurred, corrective action is taken, which may include removal from the Section 8 program. In turn, problem residents wind up having to move elsewhere.

You might look at initiating a similar program in your city.
                            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

having my chief on me for spending 8 hours a day on 1 city block.
                              If you pop a warrant each day for a week he'll have kittens.

There's no point in going and hanging out in front or a church. If that one block is where the bad guys are, camp out.

As long as you're productive nobody should care where you write the ticket, bust the dealer or pop the warrant.
                              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8190 users online. 440 members and 7750 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X