300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest drive to pick up evidence?

Here's a first for me. I have to go pick up a blunt weapon used in a level 2 Felony (our second highest) and because the prosecutor wants DNA evidence they want me to pick it up personally. It's 6.5 hours away per Google maps, two states away. Due to manpower issues, we'd have to hire back someone for OT if I went on a work day, so I figured if anyone is getting OT out of this, it's me, so I'm going on my first day off. They offered to put me up in a hotel for the night, but I'm not wanting to burn both my days off as I have family plans. I'm figuring a 16 hour day, minimum.

So, what's the furthest you've had to go to pick up evidence?
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Our crime lab is in Little Rock, which is a 4 hour one way trip. We have to make that trip several times a month to drop off & pick up evidence. It gets to be a real drag and I would do just about anything to get out of making it.
    Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
    In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
    Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
    Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Anything beyond 200-300 miles usually by air.
      Last edited by sanitizer; 07-13-2015, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I picked some up about 150 miles away in the next state......................I did it rather than a deputy since I get paid less

I have done the 6.6 hr trip a couple times to pick up prisoners on a statewide pickup and ALWAYS do it in one day
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Periodic trips to State HQ to pick up or deliver equipment, attend meetings, training, etc., - 430 miles one way. (California is a huge state.)

I always thought of it as a relaxing drive and a great excuse to get away, plus there was this great Mexican restaurant on the Sacramento River.............wait, now I want to come out of retirement, be paid and collect per diem to take a road trip.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

1234 ft. I walked.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

About 600 miles, from So. Middle Tennessee to Research Triangle, NC.

Nice drive!
              SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
              SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Longest Drive To Pick Up Evidence?

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                .....So, what's the furthest you've had to go to pick up evidence?
                I have flown 1,700 miles and brought back evidence. A bunch of years back another deputy and I were up for a trip to pick up a prisoner. Just before we left, the sergeant mentions that we also have to pick up evidence and bring it back. Not much mention of what the evidence actually was. The snag comes in when I find out that we can't pick up the evidence until 8 AM on a Monday at Lacey WA PD. It turns out the evidence was US currency. The problem was that after picking up the prisoner and showing up at the PD, because of the flight time, I did NOT have the time to count the currency. The only viable option was to sign for it and hope that it is accurate.

Preparing for the flight, the evidence, which was in a small Igloo cooler wasn't leaving my sight. The flying waitresses expressed their displeasure to me on that issue. I explained to them that it was important could not leave my sight, but I didn't explain to them what it was. Later during the flight, not one, but two different stewardesses came up to me and whispered in my ear asking if I had body parts in the cooler! I guess seeing my partner with a guy in irons led their mind to wander!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                  I have flown 1,700 miles and brought back evidence. A bunch of years back another deputy and I were up for a trip to pick up a prisoner. Just before we left, the sergeant mentions that we also have to pick up evidence and bring it back. Not much mention of what the evidence actually was. The snag comes in when I find out that we can't pick up the evidence until 8 AM on a Monday at Lacey WA PD. It turns out the evidence was US currency. The problem was that after picking up the prisoner and showing up at the PD, because of the flight time, I did NOT have the time to count the currency. The only viable option was to sign for it and hope that it is accurate.

Preparing for the flight, the evidence, which was in a small Igloo cooler wasn't leaving my sight. The flying waitresses expressed their displeasure to me on that issue. I explained to them that it was important could not leave my sight, but I didn't explain to them what it was. Later during the flight, not one, but two different stewardesses came up to me and whispered in my ear asking if I had body parts in the cooler! I guess seeing my partner with a guy in irons led their mind to wander!
                  That's pretty ballsy. I'd never sign for U.S. Currency without verifying the total.
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

19 hour round trip. Lots of Starbucks.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I once made a mistake asking my unit House Mouse to pick up evidence at our property room and transport it to a waiting Detective in court, a simple no brainer detail that should have taken no more than 30-40 minutes.

To make a long story short, House Mouse checked out an unmarked vehicle, picked up evidence at the properly room secured it in the trunk, picked up his wife and lunched at a all you can eat buffet, stopped at a convenience market for smokes, T-boned pulling out of the parking lot… He and his wife claimed injuries, transported to an ER, vehicle towed, House Mouse filed a OTJ injury, took a month off on disability, filed a WC claim, etc....

Needless to say this left me with a ton of paper work, a pizzed off Detective and DDA and a major headache.
                      IMO this has to qualify as one of the “Longest drive (time wise) to pick up evidence”….

Comment

Never for evidence, but I had to drive 3 hours (with no radio or cell reception by myself) to pick up an inmate we had staying at a contract bed in the next county for a morning court date. For those on the East Coast, our counties are bigger than your states.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          1234 ft. I walked.
                          With or without your shine box?
                          They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4142 users online. 210 members and 3932 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X