300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining military reserves while working in law enforcement

I've been working for my department for almost two years. I love my job, but at the same time I feel like I want something more. I never served in the military and the older I get, the more I realize not serving might be one of my biggest regrets in life. I really want to go to OCS for the Marine Corps reserve. I'm only 25, so I still have time. Unfortunately, the wife is pretty against it since we moved to our current city for my job and she doesn't have anyone else here (though her family is only an hour away). I'm wondering if anyone else has joined the reserves while already employed as an LEO? If so, how did your department react? I'd obviously have to be away from the department for a significant amount of time for training and I'm not sure if my department would be upset about it.

I got out of the army and began my next job. Just know that it is a huge commitment and trust me when I say you are going to need your wife beside you. However you can do that, do it... thats what matters. You can figure out the work aspect, you're going to need to handle your home aspect.

Comment

I suspect department reaction will depend on the size of your agency.

If you work for a very large department, they will be used to this and be sufficiently staffed to cover for military leave absences. However, if you work for a medium to small department your absence may put a crimp in their operational need and no doubt you will become "that guy." While Federal law prohibits discrimination against personal who take military leave, there are a lot of things that are at the discretion of commanders and which can affect your career. In a small or medium sized department it's possible that discretion might be exercised in a manor not favorably to your career if you absences put them in a bind.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Read what L-1 posted as it is pretty much the way it works

I am more worried about

Originally posted by tut89 View Post
        Unfortunately, the wife is pretty against it

If the wife isn't agreeable you shouldn't even consider it.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          Read what L-1 posted as it is pretty much the way it works

I am more worried about

Ditto

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
            I suspect department reaction will depend on the size of your agency.

If you work for a very large department, they will be used to this and be sufficiently staffed to cover for military leave absences. However, if you work for a medium to small department your absence may put a crimp in their operational need and no doubt you will become "that guy." While Federal law prohibits discrimination against personal who take military leave, there are a lot of things that are at the discretion of commanders and which can affect your career. In a small or medium sized department it's possible that discretion might be exercised in a manor not favorably to your career if you absences put them in a bind.
            My department is about 30 officers so it would definitely have more of an effect than a big department.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            I definitely would not do it without her blessing.

Comment

I did my military service before I joined the PD, I really don't see myself doing it now and putting 100% into both jobs...knowing what I know now.

For you It's going to be hard juggling the job's crazy hours, the requirements of the military service, and your personal life (especially if your wife is already against it).

I considered going back in the weekend warrior capacity many times, but finally settled against it. My job gives I think 30 or something paid days off for military drill, but even then, I'd be losing too much money doing that. Also, from what I've seen, guys that are constantly going away on drill, have a hard time maintaining a routine assignment or a steady partner.

With where you're at in life/career I wouldn't do it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4085 users online. 193 members and 3892 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X