Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your worst supervisor ever story?

I have two. When I first started with my old department, I used to have to drive my sarge around until he sobered up. Usually, I had been out with him the night before but I was the DD. He drank like a fish. But at least he paid for my gas and table dances. He ended up getting into a fight in a bar and got fired. I wasn't there, and had stopped hanging out with him off duty by then.

At my current position, we got a new sarge who was a kid in his 20s, and only had around 5 years total experience. I tend to keep to myself but kept noticing some weird behavior, but found out he was on some medication, and just chalked it up to that. Turns out he was on a handful of medication for everything under the sun, as well as was shooting heroin on duty. Alot of stuff makes sense now that I think about it. We have a great sarge now. Hes not afraid to take a report and backs us up when we need it.

So whats your horror story?
    "Life is not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving foward"- Rocky Balboa

Black Labs Matter!

I'm kind of at a loss.
    The departments you worked/ work for sound Fu**ed up.

Sorry.

Guess I'm lucky. My first Sargent, now retired, was a true mentor to me, and is now a good friend. never had any mean ones or whack jobs.
    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Swat,

You can always read Monty posts if you want to feel "included"...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Interceptor,

I had a couple of Sups who were Jacktards. I let THEM screw up in public and get nailed. They ALWAYS will. Short of that, your policies/MOU/Union can help.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I had one who came into the dispatch center (off duty) drunk. Got on the radio and was giving orders to deputies on the road.

He lost his stripes--------------------but later got them back and retired as a Lieutenant after drying out.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So far I've had good Sgts, they've given me nothing to complain about.

Comment

I worked with a guy that was a complete ahole as a supervisor. Everybody knew to do the exact opposite of what he said to stay alive. The idiot is collecting a fortune in a pension, when he really belongs in jail.
              September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
                I worked with a guy that was a complete ahole as a supervisor. Everybody knew to do the exact opposite of what he said to stay alive. The idiot is collecting a fortune in a pension, when he really belongs in jail.
                I have been lucky to work for agencies where you have to earn your stripes by more than just pass a test...................

Merit hiring and promotions are nice
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Had a fight with a suspect, the guy had some facial injuries. New Sarge comes out, asks the guy if I did that to him. Guy says "No man, I fell". Sarge asks the guy if he's absolutely sure that it wasn't me that did that to him. "Naw, this was from before I even met the Officer".

This went on for 90 minutes, Sarge trying to get this guy to say that I tuned him up. He never did. The turd had my back, while my direct supervisor was trying to stab it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                    Had a fight with a suspect, the guy had some facial injuries. New Sarge comes out, asks the guy if I did that to him. Guy says "No man, I fell". Sarge asks the guy if he's absolutely sure that it wasn't me that did that to him. "Naw, this was from before I even met the Officer".

This went on for 90 minutes, Sarge trying to get this guy to say that I tuned him up. He never did. The turd had my back, while my direct supervisor was trying to stab it.
                    that's pretty f&*ked up. Funny how things work out

Comment

Nothing too much beyond the occasional one that has been promoted beyond their capabilities and with previous work experience that has little bearing on their current role.

I've been lucky because all my direct sergeants since I've joined have been 10+ years types that have a variety of experience and aren't out to screw people over so that can pad out their resume.

Comment

We had a lieutenant who was so screwed up that everyone referred to him as Lt. Brain Dead. He eventually got wind of his nickname and wandered into the captain's office whining because everyone called him Lt. Dead Brain.

The captain had to straighten things out and explain that they were calling him Lt. Brain Dead and not Lt. Dead Brain.

He still never got it.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                          We had a lieutenant who was so screwed up that everyone referred to him as Lt. Brain Dead. He eventually got wind of his nickname and wandered into the captain's office whining because everyone called him Lt. Dead Brain.

The captain had to straighten things out and explain that they were calling him Lt. Brain Dead and not Lt. Dead Brain.

He still never got it.
                          I had one who was promoted into the Captain's job over me on midnights. (Long story but I had to help her back in the day pass her Sgt exam----) She came on the shift and 4 yrs later when I was getting ready to retire STILL was having trouble with the paperwork.

Her last "chat" with me was "I am going to have to have you explain this to me some night before you leave". Yea, I was the subordinate supervisor telling her how to run the shift paperwork

She was the ONLY Captain that has ever (before or after) been promoted who never spent 6 months working under the Lt Colonel on days shift & with the senior Captain on days. She was promoted and came immediately to midnights.

That experience is fodder for another thread sometime..............

Comment

on my job to be a supervisor all you've to do is a pass a civil service exam, no competence required. Had bosses with 10+ years on with less then 5 total career collars telling me how to do police work.

Comment

I really don't have a horror story because every supervisor I ever had was adequate. But once, after promotions left the motorcycle squad without a sergeant, my department finally found a detective that agreed to transfer and oversee us. He got a motorcycle even though he refused to attend the riding school. His day was spent either cruising around town delivering ticket books to us or sitting on the side of a road that bordered a small golf course...... where he collected the out of bounds golf balls to use later.

Sounds like a horrible job, huh?
                              If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4832 users online. 238 members and 4594 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X