Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At the moment you decide to make a traffic stop, how often do you know the race?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At the moment you decide to make a traffic stop, how often do you know the race?

This came up on another forum and there is a dispute between officers. I'll leave my opinion out so as not to influence the thread.

Assume you are working during day light hours and in fair weather.

At the moment you observe the infraction and make the determination in your head "I'm going to stop that car" how often do you know the race of the driver?

I'll bust it up into 20% blocks. Comments are welcome.
    80%-100%
    1.90%
    60%-79%
    3.81%
    40%-59%
    15.24%
    20%-39%
    20.00%
    0%-19%
    59.05%
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

I voted before I read that, and I work nights, therefore I only make stops at night, so that has an influence.

The majority of my stops I come from and start out from behind the vehicle, so my only chance at getting any kind of driver description is through their mirrors, at night thats almost impossible, especially if there is any sort of tint on their windows.

How often do I know the race/gender/age etc prior to making a stop? Almost never.

Comment

I race ahead of the car, swerve in front so that I can see the color, then slam on my brakes and let them go around me. Then I pull them over...

Comment

There are so many tinted windows where I am, most of the time I can't tell. I voted towards the middle of the spectrum though to account for those that aren't tinted.

As bad as it might sound, I can guess pretty well based on how the car is taken care of and how it is equipped, along with the volume and amount of bass coming from the trunk.

Comment

I work night shift. So unless we are on a well lit road and the driver passes me doing something wrong that's the only time I'll see them, only about half of that time can I actually tell the race of the driver.

Comment

This exposes a major flaw in the racial profiling argument. I actually had a violator accuse me of racial profiling, and when I pointed out that it was too dark, he said I pulled him over because he was driving a "black folk car" (Dodge Charger). Ah yes.. the Dodge Charger.. a historically black vehicle

I had another one accuse me of the same thing when I pulled him over in a Honda Accord. And another in a Chevy pickup. I wanted to ask them what kind of cars they thought white people drove.

Comment

The driver? Rarely. The registered owner? Almost every time.

Comment

Originally posted by AppState View Post
                The driver? Rarely. The registered owner? Almost every time.
                So you're stopping them based on their name? I'd be careful who you tell that to.

Comment

Originally posted by Tapatio View Post
                  So you're stopping them based on their name? I'd be careful who you tell that to.
                  That's not what I said, no. Regardless of the reason for the stop, I run 99.99% of plates before I initiate it. Along with the vehicle information comes the registered owner's DL info/picture.

That being said, there's plenty of case law supporting it being reasonable to assume the registered owner is the driver if you are unable to tell otherwise. I can see if the registered owner is suspended, wanted, etc., with an extra 10 second delay before I hit my lights.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    I race ahead of the car, swerve in front so that I can see the color, then slam on my brakes and let them go around me. Then I pull them over...
                    I know better than to read your post during dinner. How the hell do you get nacho cheese off a keyboard? LMAO!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I usually notice the driver's race when I can see them in their side mirror as I walk up to the driver's window or when I look in the passenger's window depending on which side I use. I generally have the radar locked and have decided to stop the vehicle when they're close to a tenth of a mile away. If I'm working stationary radar, all I see is a car coming then a number on the radar. My next concern is getting behind the vehicle without becoming a MVC participant.
                      Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                      Among Texas' finest
                      Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                      Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                      Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

I work a good portion of my shift either when the sun setting or in the dark. I can rarely see the driver before when I spot the infraction, especially with the amount of tinted windows we have where I live.

Edit: I didn't see your comments until after.

My normal shift: maybe 2 out of every 10 stops.

During the posted conditions: maybe 3 out of 10 stops.

Comment

I only pull over people if I can see their golf clubs, or if they are wearing a nice sweater.
                          SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                          SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I work nights and when I do a stop its either on a freeway or curvy mountain road. The cars are usually traveling at a high rate of speed and I cannot remember the last time I saw the race of the driver or anyone else in the car. I have a list of behaviors/characteristics in my head that I'm looking for but race does not matter. I believe in giving all races a chance to ride in my cage.

Comment

Apparently I do since Eric Holder, Fat Al Sharpton, the American Criminal Liberties Union, and the NY Times say I do. Even though they don't know who I am (except Fat Al....he knows me).
                              September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4115 users online. 235 members and 3880 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X