300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Department evaluations and stops/citations/arrests

I have worked for two departments, the current one is what I consider very "stat-based" in their evaluations. Does your department have an unofficial standard for how many stops you make, citations you write, arrests you make, etc.? What kind of numbers are they looking for?

COMPSTAT.

And contact matrices and measures. Doen't matter how many cites or arrests, but I better be making contacts
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by CityCop21 View Post
      I have worked for two departments, the current one is what I consider very "stat-based" in their evaluations. Does your department have an unofficial standard for how many stops you make, citations you write, arrests you make, etc.? What kind of numbers are they looking for?
      40 summonses and one arrest

Comment

When I worked for a dept that counted numbers like that, they wanted you to make 80% of the shift average in something like 80% of the evaluated categories. So, there was not a quota per se, but if everyone else on your shift was average X number of tickets and arrests, why aren't you even close to what your peers are doing?

Comment

Compstat is great in theory but it always ends up in a push for numbers and management cooking the books when they don't get the numbers they need to get promoted.

Comment

We have a report sent out each month to each station which tracks self initiated field activity. It lists the number of person stops, vehicle stops, perimeter checks, etc. that we each do. It also tracks arrests and citations. The "acceptable" standard isn't very high to be honest, wanting around 16 citations and 4 arrests per officer per month to not get flagged. That's not to say individual supervisors may not want more though.

Comment

We arrest those that need arresting, cite those that need citing, FI those that need it... Stats are gathered for a dept. Report. That's it.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Depends where you work. Rural interstate, 6 a day until the new Captain gets appointed then probably more. City interstate 10 a day more traffic, more violators. Complaints and other police work my job could give two craps about. DWI was varied between work areas but was the only other stat that mattered when it came to promotions or details. The non interstate guys running crappers all day were still expected to write three a day. Like others have said it was a station average, why are the other guys doing this and your not? It's really the only way to keep track of the donothings.

Comment

Compstat as well. "a stat a day keeps the C.O.'s away."

There is no official punishment that Ive seen recently anyway for those who have 0's across the board (mostly the veteran day shift officers) . The mindset for some who are not proactive at all is "I only have to make my runs and that's it". The only time the dept. direct's us to make paper is during federal OT highway safety grants when you have to get X amount of contacts per hour.
                  "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Compstat has made its way down here but stations set their own local targets. It might be two tickets, two reported person checks and five cars pulled over per shift.

My unit expects a certain number of tickets and breath tests every shift.

Comment

My department was in the news last July regarding this:

http://wtvr.com/2014/07/14/chesterfi...investigation/

If you don't want to click the link: An officer was denied his 1% pay raise because he didn't meet the "performance standard". The officer then resigned and took his performance evaluation to the media to "expose our quota system". It listed 1 arrest/day and 2 - 3 traffic stops per day. For our department, an arrest includes writing a traffic summons. And this guy seriously couldn't do that. I won't go into my opinion on this officer's work ethic.
                      Chesterfield County Police

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                        Which is when the guys should have gotten together and agreed to set the bar low.

Anyway, my PD does nothing official and doesn't even really look at individual officers. They kind of look at the squad as a whole because a lot of your proactivity is based on what the other guys are doing (ie- handling calls, backing up other guys on arrests, etc). There is something to be said for having a mix of go-getters and gophers on a shift. If you have a squad that is a majority of either, then it doesn't really function right. You need both, so that's how it's looked at.
                        It works out 20% go getters and 80% gophers on a shift. Now if the majority of go-getters are "sheepdogs" even better. BTW I have really bought into the sheepdog thing.

Comment

JMHO, stats is just a way for Captains, Lieutenants and Sergeants to manage and supervise without being on the streets. When I was Patrol Supervisor I knew who knew their area and who was proactive. I also knew who would sit in a coffeehouse all night if they did not get a call.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                            We arrest those that need arresting, cite those that need citing, FI those that need it... Stats are gathered for a dept. Report. That's it.
                            Same with my department

Comment

As long as my guys handle their calls, put out an effort to do some traffic and arrests, I don't complain. We run a statistical report every month, which includes # of days worked, tickets,arrests,reports taken. You definitely see who is killing it and who is laying up. The slackers get ****ty assignments until they fall in line with everyone else. The acceptable standards aren't that high. It's taken into Account if you are assigned ancillary duties that would lower your performance.
                              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3573 users online. 220 members and 3353 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X