X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John from Maryland
    Senior Veteran
    • Mar 2000

Ballistic Helmets for Patrol

Is anyone issuing ballistic helmets to patrol officers? If so, what are you issuing? Can I get a copy of any policy and/or lesson plans? Thanks and be safe.
    John from Maryland
  • tanksoldier
    • Dec 2009

For regular patrol wear, not for riots and the like?

I don't know anybody here who does that...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Iowa #1603
      Senior Veteran
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by tanksoldier

Nope..................never

Back MANY, MANY years ago my old agency allowed us to wear our "riot" helmets with ear inserts during the winter.......
      I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• Maverick1701
        Chris
        • Oct 2009

We have Marine LWH helmets issued to us. When we use them is up to each officer (obviously not for every day patrol ie. traffic/court/etc). We usually don them on the more hostile calls (search warrants and the like). They won't stop a lot but it is better than nothing.
        Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

• Rettroop
          Forum Member
          • Jan 2014

We were issued some kind of retired or excess military helmets for riot control along with new quality gas masks. We had some problems with burning tires in the middle of our highways in the eighties and early nineties and that led to crowd control situations. It was caused by good ol NY state trying to tax cigarettes sold on the Indian reservations.

Comment

• John from Maryland
            Senior Veteran
            • Mar 2000

Thanks for the responses. To clarify, the proposal is to issue Level IIIA ballistic helmets for use on high risk incidents such as barricades, open area searches, active shooter incidents, and so forth. Until things turn worse, I would not envision patrol troops routinely making car stops or investigating occurred-earlier thefts from vehicles while wearing a helmet.

While I originally considered surplus helmets, it seems like there may be some difficulty in determining the ballistic capability and care of the helmets. Ponying up a few hundred dollars for a warrantied helmet seems less of a penny-wise/pound-foolish option.
            John from Maryland

Comment

• Iowa #1603
              Senior Veteran
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by John from Maryland
              While I originally considered surplus helmets, it seems like there may be some difficulty in determining the ballistic capability and care of the helmets. Ponying up a few hundred dollars for a warrantied helmet seems less of a penny-wise/pound-foolish option.
              Your bean counters won't think so...............

NOw that Obama has supposedly tightened up the military surplus system you might be able to sell that...........
              I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• CityCop21
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Maverick1701
                We have Marine LWH helmets issued to us. When we use them is up to each officer (obviously not for every day patrol ie. traffic/court/etc). We usually don them on the more hostile calls (search warrants and the like). They won't stop a lot but it is better than nothing.
                It's not obvious, I always wear my Marine LWH helmet to court, what's wrong with that?

Comment

• JonathanE
                  Forum Member
                  • Jan 2014

In the 1970's didn't LASD have their Deputies wearing motorcycle/riot helmets in patrol cars?

Comment

• CruiserClass
                    Forum Member
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by JonathanE
                    In the 1970's didn't LASD have their Deputies wearing motorcycle/riot helmets in patrol cars?
                    A small town in the south of our state did. I was visiting in about '06 and one of the upper echelon there still had his motorcycle helmet. I was surprised and asked when the town had a motorcycle patrol and he said they hadn't, but in the late 70's the CoP made them wear motorcycle helmets while driving patrol cars.

Anyway, back on topic:

Yes, we are issued ballistic helmets. I actually have two because I'm also on our riot squad, so I've got a new one with a face shield and I've got a standard military one that was surplus that everyone in patrol got issued.

You can wear it as you see fit. I've only had one sergeant tell me not too, and I summarily ignored him and went on wearing it as I felt appropriate. Suspend me for a day and I can fight it with the union or eat it. Easily worth the extra protection against catching a bullet in the melon.
                    I miss you, Dave.
                    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                      Senior Veteran
                      • Aug 2007

YES they did

Comment

• AI_guy
                        Forum Member
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by tanksoldier

sorry wrong reply...

Comment

• AI_guy
                          Forum Member
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by John from Maryland
                          Thanks for the responses. To clarify, the proposal is to issue Level IIIA ballistic helmets for use on high risk incidents such as barricades, open area searches, active shooter incidents, and so forth. Until things turn worse, I would not envision patrol troops routinely making car stops or investigating occurred-earlier thefts from vehicles while wearing a helmet.

We have them in each of our squads along with tactical vests. Not sure I can help with policy though

Comment

• BikeCop501
                            Verified LEO
                            • Aug 2005

Dallas Sheriff's Office did too
                            Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

• JonathanE
                              Forum Member
                              • Jan 2014

Since polices are so difficult to change and it seems that if you do something for more than 2 years then it is historical, why did they (any department) stop?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 21014 users online. 32 members and 20982 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...