Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to suggest a change in policy...

...at my department.

Specifically, I want to put a spit hood on any inmate I transport who is sneezing or coughing.

Last week a female was hacking up a lung for over two hours... now I have a chest cough and 102 fever.

Damnit.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Spit hoods probably won't prevent transmission of germs..................the mesh isn't that tight.

A "dust mask" would work under most circumstances as the filter is tighter
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Get with your PH nurse and get some stats to show benefits of putting masks, not spit hoods, on suspects with airborne transmitted diseases.

Also, file a W/C claim specifying the sick suspect, how it could have been prevented, etc.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Concur with mask v spit hood.

Comment

Going To Suggest A Change In Policy...

Tanksoldier,

Was she a fresh arrest or already an inmate?

Jim

Comment

Was she a fresh arrest or already an inmate?
            Already an inmate. I was moving her from another county's jail to our jail to await her parole hearing.

In all seriousness, I can refuse inmates with serious medical conditions: recent stroke, heart attack, transplant, pregnant...

I'm going to ask if we can expand that to obviously ill inmates.

Concur with mask v spit hood.
            Yeah, but a mask they can just pull off...
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

They have rights. If they need a mask, mask them. If they pull it off, infract them. Take away commissary, etc.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

If they pull off the mask, THEN you can probably spit mask them OVER a mask.................but that too would need a policy change.

Besides if they can get a dusk mask off...........they can also get a spit hood off
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Maybe you should ask for a uniform change.

Then the inmates can hack and cough all they want, but you're golden. Well, yellow, but you get the idea.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

If we have anyone in custody who coughs or even looks sick we put an N-95 medical mask on them. If they were to refuse the mask, we would put it on them and see to it that it stayed on them. Also if you are transporting them try to have some of the windows cracked to get some airflow regardless of how cold it is.

Comment

If they were to refuse the mask, we would put it on them and see to it that it stayed on them.
                      We handcuff in front with belly chain and leg irons for transports. It's just me and up to 13 inmates. I can't be pulling over on the side of the road to put a mask back on. I'll think of something, and I think I'll get support, because the Captain and senior Sergeant were both down with the same thing at the same time as me. About half the staff has caught it.

try to have some of the windows cracked
                      Can't open windows per policy. The back ones won't open anyway.
                      Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-27-2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post

Can't open windows per policy. .
                        Since you are trying to change policy-----------I would change that one too

I nearly ALWAYS have my drivers window cracked (unless I am in the passenger seat)

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                          We handcuff in front with belly chain and leg irons for transports. It's just me and up to 13 inmates. I can't be pulling over on the side of the road to put a mask back on. I'll think of something, and I think I'll get support, because the Captain and senior Sergeant were both down with the same thing at the same time as me. About half the staff has caught it.

Can't open windows per policy. The back ones won't open anyway.
                          How do you know your captain, sgt or another coworker didn't make you sick?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6267 users online. 357 members and 5910 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X