300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not hating on ride alongers but...

Are there any of you here that absolutely don't allow "riders" while you work? Well I'm one of them. It was brought to my attention that our new intern expressed interest in riding with me and I've never even met the kid yet. I was told that he wants to be a LAWYER, not an officer....and MAYBE if he had solid aspirations to pursue a career in police work, i might have bent my rule on the rider thing...

What can i say...i just can't concentrate and focus on what I'm doing when there's someone next to me monitoring my every move. I guess you could say it makes me nervous. Am i being unreasonable? I tried it before a couple times in the past with an auxiliary guy and i just felt out of my element.

Originally posted by WoodCo.Explorer View Post
    i just can't concentrate and focus on what I'm doing when there's someone next to me monitoring my every move. I guess you could say it makes me nervous. Am i being unreasonable? I tried it before a couple times in the past with an auxiliary guy and i just felt out of my element.
    Did you go through academy and an FTO program? In the academy, everything is closely monitored and during FTO, this is even more true.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I don't mind riders as long as I know them. I have yet to experience a non friend/family member ride with me. Usually I don't notice the difference performance wise except I try to explain what I'm doing and why when I can. I don't mind the company in the car. Hate having my gear not in the front seat but after a few stops I get that distraction out of the way too.

I do explain the rules and safety precautions I also explain no touching the fm radio and since my car has dual climate zones they can adjust their own zone but leave mine be I use the analogy the cars my office and I need to be comfortable but also how would they feel if someone started messing their office up and moving their stuff everyone's gotten it.

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
        Did you go through academy and an FTO program? In the academy, everything is closely monitored and during FTO, this is even more true.

Yes and yes, Slamdunc, and you are right; everything i did was under a highly magnified microscope.

Comment

Yes and yes, Slamdunc, and you are right; everything i did was under a highly magnified microscope.
          The only people allowed to ride with us are officers from other agencies and interns. With the other officers we are in 'war-story' mode and it is more entertainment than anything. With the interns, I always put them on the defensive by running scenarios, kind of like when I am in FTO mode. I actually enjoy (in small doses) interns who ask good questions and have good thinking skills. In general, I don't like riders either, but unless it is a supervisor, I manage the ones I have, not the other way around.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Are there any of you here that absolutely don't allow "riders" while you work? Well I'm one of them. It was brought to my attention that our new intern expressed interest in riding with me and I've never even met the kid yet. I was told that he wants to be a LAWYER, not an officer....and MAYBE if he had solid aspirations to pursue a career in police work, i might have bent my rule on the rider thing...

What can i say...i just can't concentrate and focus on what I'm doing when there's someone next to me monitoring my every move. I guess you could say it makes me nervous. Am i being unreasonable? I tried it before a couple times in the past with an auxiliary guy and i just felt out of my element.
            I just find this post a bit ironic coming from a former explorer...............................

just saying
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I never minded riders. Our department encourages them as a way to connect with the community, and its not up to an individual officer to be willing to take one or not. If its your turn, its your turn.

I'm pretty awesome, it doesn't hurt to let people see how awesome I am.

I've had a few people request to "ride along" with me now, but I tell them they can sit at a desk and drink coffee at home and get 90% of the experience.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                I never minded riders. Our department encourages them as a way to connect with the community, and its not up to an individual officer to be willing to take one or not. If its your turn, its your turn.

I'm pretty awesome, it doesn't hurt to let people see how awesome I am.

I've had a few people request to "ride along" with me now, but I tell them they can sit at a desk and drink coffee at home and get 90% of the experience.
                I think there were 4 or 5 riders of mine that became (and have since retired ) from law enforcement. A couple ended up Chiefs and one retired as a Lieutenant in a large PD in my state.

Another former rider of mine WAS in law enforcement and went into Corrections-----------he retires Friday after 36 yrs total
                Last edited by Iowa #1603; 01-20-2015, 08:28 AM.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

We don't allow ride alongs (except for members of the press).

Stay safe.

Comment

I dread hearing I have a RAL. By the end of the shift, it isn't so bad. Also, it isn't that they are civilians, it is just that I like riding solo.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      I just find this post a bit ironic coming from a former explorer...............................

just saying
                      Beat me to it lol
                      "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

I don't mind having our academy guys ride with me before they graduate or the explorers. They can actually take something away from the experience if its a good day and learn from it. I think it would be a good idea for the dispatchers to come ride with us more often so they can quit thinking they know how to police and make assumptions about what's going on from their little cubicle 20 miles away.
                        "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Having a ride-a-long sucks.....but I was someone elses ride-a-long once...

Comment

I would have a problem with the lawyer aspect. I've had attorneys belabor their "experience" riding with LE on the stand & how they now knew how officers "really" view the public, etc.,etc. in their opinion. I wouldn't want to fuel that fire.........

Comment

I didn't mind it. Usually they rode with me to learn something, and usually after the end of it, they always do.
                              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                              that we are all that stands between
                              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5873 users online. 321 members and 5552 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X