300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your older Glocks

Pictured below is what I found when I went to refresh the ammunition in the Glock 19 I keep in one of my vehicles.
    I started buying Glocks back in the eighties when they first were introduced.
    Those made before the mags had metal liners have "issues."

mag 006.jpg
    Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
    Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

There are still a few of the old non-lined, not drop-free magazines out there but I've never seen one do that. WOW!

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Do you think it may be related to temperature changes being outside in a vehicle? I don't know about your area but we have been ranging from 20's to 50's this week. I don't know if it would be worth the time but maybe Glock will send you a replacement mag. But wouldn't hurt to send that around to make sure people are checking their mags and other weapons.
      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

We've had temps down to -15f this year but the Glock polymer is supposed to be tough stuff. I've read that others have seen the failure in the early magazines and I have sent an email with pictures to Glock's Blue Label Department.
        If I ever get a response is another thing.
        Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
        Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

So this would be a check your mags, not the Glock itself...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

How many times do you have to be told.....do not put .45 cal ammo in a 9mm mag. Jeez.....

But really....good info thanks.
            September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

I've got an old mag that split like that. I use it at the range; it feeds just fine, but you need to manually pull it out of the well because it is too tight to drop out.

Comment

I view magazines as consumable items, for a fighting gun at least. Yes, I know you can change out the springs, followers, and baseplates. If you're carrying a magazine on duty or for home defense that wasn't made in this millennium, I'd reconsider that decision... even if you have to buy your own. For target/practice/etc, sure, run the retro mags until failure.

Just my opinion.

On a related note, Magpul is saying their new Glock magazines are 100% polymer (aside from the spring). Pretty interesting.
                Last edited by Resq14; 01-18-2015, 11:56 PM.
                All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Originally posted by Resq14 View Post
                  On a related note, Magpul is saying their new Glock magazines are 100% polymer (aside from the spring). Pretty interesting.
                  I dunno about their glock mags, but I can tell you that I've had two out of three of Magpul's all-plastic AR mags crack apart on me (heavy use).

Comment

Another thing to check is pop the ammo out of the mags every once in a while and check the spring.

Some of our squad were hanging around chatting after dinner one night and one guy was just idly popping rounds out of the mag and after the fourth round came up it was apparent the spring broke. Had he been in a gun fight when he figured this out it could have been bad news.

Comment

Personally, I minimize the number of times I download my duty mags... the spring probably broke from the number of times it'd been finger banged. The "experts" say the springs become fatigued from repeated compression and decompression, not from sitting compressed.

I have separate mags and gear for training.
                      All Gave Some - Some Gave All

Comment

Well, we are required to have our issued duty weapon (a Glock for everyone on the department except the few veterans still clinging to revolvers) inspected once a year by the range staff. This includes the complete dis-assembly of the weapon (not field stripping, but taking everything apart except the trigger group), cleaning, re-assembly, and test firing.

Regarding the magazine thing: I replace my mags every 5 years. Better safe than sorry.
                        Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

Watched a co-workers G21 completely fail to fire on the range a few days ago. Firing pin was striking his bullets but not a single one would fire. It wasn't the bullets either, we changed them out and he tried different mags and brand ammo. Glad it was on the range and in training, smh never carrying a glock

Comment

Originally posted by UnivPD View Post
                            Watched a co-workers G21 completely fail to fire on the range a few days ago. Firing pin was striking his bullets but not a single one would fire. It wasn't the bullets either, we changed them out and he tried different mags and brand ammo. Glad it was on the range and in training, smh never carrying a glock
                            If the "firing pin" was striking the "bullets", there's your problem. The "firing pin" is supposed to strike the "primer" of the "CARTRIDGE", which would then ignite the powder charge that burns causing hot gasses to expand and eventually force the "bullet" out of the chamber, down the barrel then out of the muzzle of the pistol barrel.

All kidding aside, I've seen a lot of stuff happen with firearms of various makes and models. Put a firearm into the hands of individual officers and watch the kinds of interesting things that can happen. This is why all of your duty firearms should be checked out by competent armorers on a regular basis.
                            Last edited by HI629; 03-31-2015, 11:42 PM.
                            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by UnivPD View Post

I would change the spring asap thats most likely the problem on that part.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3144 users online. 193 members and 2951 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X