Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-day jury trials

ARRRGH!!!!

There are few things more boring than sitting through a multi-day jury trial. Do other places make the lead detective sit through jury selection?

Conviction on all counts on both co-defendants, but my thumbs ache from all the twiddling.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Only if you are the lead...which you are.
    My county lets us skip that part if we want. Which we do.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Sit where? In NYS anyone on the witness list is not allowed to be in the courtroom prior to being called to the stand. Sit in the ADA's office, or in the witness room, yes.

Comment

Multi-Day Jury Trials

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
        .....Do other places make the lead detective sit through jury selection?.....
        Is that the case throughout the entire State Of Indiana or just in your area?
        Last edited by Jim1648; 01-15-2015, 09:49 AM.

Comment

It's not done anywhere in Iowa that I have seen....................the first time I saw that tactic was in Federal Court where the lead FBI agent sat at the prosecution table during the entire case.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Cruiser I am in Northern Indiana and have sat through many trials when I was in Homicide. From jury selection to verdict. It makes for a long week but I was involved in the jury selection process and found it helpful to see which way the defense was leaning when it was my turn to testify. I have put in many, many hours on the stand and absolutely love testifying. Over 10 years of this and it actually got to the point where defense would ask me very few questions. I would actually recommend Officers watch a couple of trials (murder/major felony) in order to see how people (especially other Officers) testify. It can be enlightening to new Officers and may assist in calming them a little bit when it's their turn. I also learned some of the "rules" of the courtroom and this certainly helped me to recognize when a defense attorney "opened the door." Anyhow the higher number of times you sit through trial the easier it gets.

Comment

In CA, the lead investigator is permitted to be present throughout.

Comment

Originally posted by kap168 View Post
                I also learned some of the "rules" of the courtroom and this certainly helped me to recognize when a defense attorney "opened the door." .
                I often tell the story about the defense attorney that hung is client.

I had worked in the Penitentiary before going to become a Deputy. One night on patrol I arrested a drunk for OWI and processed him. It turned out to be his 3rd offense...which became a felony.................

Ok we can't talk about any prior crimes and can only mention that he is charged with 3rd offense.

I got on the stand................gave my training and experience (including 2 yrs at the prison) and testified that I recognized the defendant from prior experience..NOT stating what that prior experience was...................I actually knew him in the county jail also on other charges as well as from his prison time.

Dumbdumb attorney asked me where I knew him from.--------------------I started to talk & as I looked over the prosecutor almost died as I said I knew him from his last penitentiary incarceration.

Defense attorney jumped up and objected to my testimony--------------------judge looked at him and stated "You asked him the question counselor---you get to live with the answer."

Prosecutor chewed me out for 10 minutes-------but then laughed for 20 minutes at the answer from the judge.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Love it when Defense pooches it.

Comment

I wanted a part in the selection. So I would attend jury selection. I could opt out, it wasnt mandatory. I did it on a case by case basis.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim1648 View Post
                      Is that the case throughout the entire State Of Indiana or just in your area?
                      No idea.

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                      Sit where? In NYS anyone on the witness list is not allowed to be in the courtroom prior to being called to the stand. Sit in the ADA's office, or in the witness room, yes.
                      With the prosecutor. The prosecution is allowed one assisting witness to stay in the court room during separation of witnesses. I suppose it could be anyone, but in practice its the lead detective. Supposedly I'm there to help with chronology and to be available for rebuttal. In practice I twiddle my thumbs a lot and occasionally remind the prosecutor of things they already know. Anything I'm going to trial on is going to have an experienced prosecutor and they certainly don't need my help in lawyering.
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

In my (relatively short) years of experience with being a cop in California, I've sat with the DDA at the prosecutor table in Preliminary Hearings and Jury Trials. For Violation of Probation Hearings, typically a Deputy Probation Officer sits at the table and I wait in the general seating or outside.

Comment

just be thankful you are not the defendant... because then you can sit through the whole thing.
                          September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
                            just be thankful you are not the defendant... because then you can sit through the whole thing.
                            Or the bailiff.

Comment

I have seen counsel argue over the presence of a murder victim's family in the courtroom during trial and their only testimony would be to ID the deceased.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6043 users online. 362 members and 5681 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X