300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "(___Fill in the blank__) Therapy"

Hey guys, kind of an odd question, but I'm thinking there just might be some humor in the responses...

Let me tell you about LAPD's practice of "Freeway Therapy". A cop is living the good life in a distant suburb of Los Angeles, and working the patrol area closest to his/her home. Then, a bad decision causes them to be "administratively transferred". Two captains with equally bad actors meet and trade "Officer/Detective Idiot A for Officer/Detective Idiot B" between them. Those officers lose (always) their appeal (or grievance) to remain at their chosen area, and now spend two-to-three hours commuting one-way to work. As they now have several hours alone in a car to reconsider their brand of policing, some change their ways, some retire or quit altogether.

Is there a comparable manner of "mileage-based discipline", or other method of sending a message of repentance in your department?
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Not really. You'd have to move me to a bordering state to get me up to a 3 hour commute. I can be in any neighboring state in 3 hours, 3 of them in 90 minutes.

Detectives can be put back out on the street. It's an assignment and not a rank for us. I've only seen one guy booted for ticking off the LT, though.

Some punishments include a district move as an attempt to get the officer with new supervisors and peers in the hopes of salvaging them. How close it is to home doesn't play any role in that decision as far as I know, though. We also have take home cars, so its not much of a punishment if you have to drive an extra 15 minutes to roll call.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

"Diesel Therapy" for prisoners.
      I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

It is called "highway therapy" here. It won't be more than an hour or two drive.
        September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

You have to have a pretty large jurisdiction for that to work Kieth. Besides you talk in terms of TIME when commuting whereas here in the midwest we talk in terms of miles.

In 3 hours I can be in any of 4 States Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois or Missouri (50 minutes for Wisconsin or Illinois)

We had a Correctional Officer that was transfered from our satellite camp (90 miles away) back to the prison for "closer observation and re training" for 90 days----that lawsuit is still in waiting .

It's rare
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

In NYC it's toll therapy. Take someone who lives in The Bronx or a northern suburb, and transfer them to Staten Island. That gives them $20 in tolls a day, or a lot of inconvenience taking the train(s), ferry and a bus.
            “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

They like to take away earned vacation days here, but have used the (transfer you as far from home as possible method) in the past for really good screw ups.

Comment

On my job they can't move you more than 50 miles away from your assigned station. If they do, they have to pay to move you. But where I live, with traffic, less than 50 miles can still be one hell of a drive.

Management has plenty of other ways to make you miserable where I work.
                Last edited by SHU; 01-06-2015, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                  Management has plenty of other ways to make you miserable where I work.
                  From what I have heard that is by hiring you ...................
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Is there a comparable manner of "mileage-based discipline", or other method of sending a message of repentance in your department?
                    Road deputies get assigned to the jail, and lose their take-home car. Jail deputies, or seriously screwed up road deputies, get assigned to graveyard shift in the jail.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

for us it would be simply a crappy assignment or back to the road for detectives.
                      In God We Trust
                      Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5000 users online. 269 members and 4731 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X