300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking in new cuff cases?

Howdy bros. Just transferred agencies and was finally issued new gear. I was using a nylon duty belt but now I have been issued leather gear. I am finding it very difficult to remove my cuffs from these new cuff cases. Anyone have any home remedies for fixing this so I don't end up scrambling with my hand behind my back trying to get my cuffs out when I really need them?

I am brand new to leather gear, are there any other common hangups with these things?

What is the make and model of the handcuff case? Would repositioning the case allow a smoother presentation?
    John from Maryland

Comment

Safariland single cuff w/ top flap. I haven't added it to the belt yet, waiting for my new holster to come in before I switch belts.

Comment

Use

LOTS of use
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Being a sergeant, I don't cuff nearly as many people as back in the day. That said, I used the nylon Safariland cuff case before it was discontinued. The gap in the Safariland case that allows one to snag the cuffs is somewhat narrow compared to other cuff cases. You might find moving the cuffs to the front reduces the issue. Other than that, I can only echo Iowa's advice. Good lick and let us know how it works out.
          John from Maryland

Comment

I replaced the issued one with the flap for an open-top one. MUCH easier to use and no flaps to manipulate.
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Policy manual dictates I use theirs. Otherwise I'd go back to using my old style that's just held on by a strap and snap. Very easy to use.

Comment

Sit on the couch watching TV

Open case, pull out cuffs , put cuffs back in case, close cuffs.

Repeat all night
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Wrap the cuffs in a layer of old t-shirt or something like that, then place them in the case overnight. This should stretch the leather faster than just normal use. Repeat until you reach the desired level of break in.
                  Originally posted by Ceridwen
                  Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
                    Wrap the cuffs in a layer of old t-shirt or something like that, then place them in the case overnight. This should stretch the leather faster than just normal use. Repeat until you reach the desired level of break in.
                    This!

Comment

Same reply I gave you to try to put the new cuff cases on your belt. Put your cuffs in a ziploc sandwich bag, soak the case in warm water, then put the handcuffs in the leather case overnight. You can also push on the case to help fit around the cuffs while it is still wet.

Comment

If you're allowed to have double cuffs, I have the leather case but use those as my spare. I have the loop and snap which I use as primary.

All suggestions will work. Time and use will break them in, but if you want a quick fix, I'd do what's already been said.

Comment

Wrap the cuffs in two layers of T-shirt material, place in a zip lock bag. Now mix 50% alcohol with water and soak the case with that. This works the same as the expensive "shoe stretcher" spray. Periodically while the case is wet / damp, open the cover and wiggle the cuffs around in the case. Then place a couple of heavy books on the case to dry. This will solve the problem.
                          T.K.
                          http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6105 users online. 325 members and 5780 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X