300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things you wish someone had told you as a rookie

I know we had a thread like this awhile back, figured I'd chime in and start it up again.

1) That little switch in the middle of the dash kills all the power. If you don't turn it off, you'll need a jump when you get back from days off.

2) Supervisors rotate often. Never accept an assignment based solely on who's currently in charge.

3) Plan for retirement from day 1.

4) Carry a knife with a glass punch. When you need it, you'll need it right now.

5) Slow down. You aren't going to help anyone if you can't make it to the scene.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

People told me all kinds of things when I was a rookie, but I didn't listen to most of it because I already knew it all. As I've gone along, I've seen **** and been like "yep, XXX was right about that too" and checked it off the List.

You know, the List Of **** That People Told You That Turned Out To Be True But You Thought You Knew Better. Anyway..

6) Make sure the cartridge isn't in there before you do a spark check.

7) If you jam up someone who works at a local restaurant, put that in briefing.

8) Gloves. lots of 'em.

Comment

That idiot your making fun of who just started at some point could be your boss.

Comment

Stay away from dispatchers

Comment

Take the Fire Dept. test.

Comment

Originally posted by scuba4321 View Post
            Stay away from dispatchers
            This^^^^^

Gossip central that you don't want to get caught up in.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
              This^^^^^

Gossip central that you don't want to get caught up in.
              Well, that, and they sometimes get pregnant at awkward times and your wife just won't understand...
              I miss you, Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                Well, that, and they sometimes get pregnant at awkward times and your wife just won't understand...
                you are making some big assumptions there-----------------who said the dispatcher is female......................
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Get into Deferred-Comp as soon as you can...

Plan for retirement from day 1...

It's about customer service... You can provide the best service to the people and still kick *** & take names....

It's not about numbers... it's about quality...

Oh yea, they did tell me all this stuff.. I just ignored it for a few years!

Comment

Originally posted by steelcityk9cop View Post
                    It's not about numbers... it's about quality...
                    I guess that depends what agency you work for.

Comment

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.....you don't have "friends" at work, you have "co-workers".....there is no "confidentiality privilege" between "co-workers"......your "co-workers" will shop you out when they get in a jam. Other than that, everything is great.
                      September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

If you use your sergeant as an excuse for assigning all night stake outs or end of shift search warrants, give your sergeant a heads up in case they run into your irate significant other.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                          you are making some big assumptions there-----------------who said the dispatcher is female......................
                          Judgement free zone here. Pregnancy won't be a concern, then, eh?
                          I miss you, Dave.

Comment

In some cases , just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Always think about the potential consequences of your actions.

Use baby powder in the summer.
                            "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Always know where the firehouse is

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4338 users online. 204 members and 4134 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X